Gain Stage, Or Normalize ???

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Moderator: Moderators

Gain Stage, Or Normalize ???

Post by DigitalMusicProduction »

Hi

When exporting MIDI to audio, is it recommended to manually set the volume for a track using the instrument channel strip volume fader, such as gain stage? or simply choose to normalize?
DigitalMusicProduction
Regular

Music is a universal language that speaks to every person, a euphoria of moods that inspires, convicts and heals 

Re: Gain Stage, Or Normalize ???

Post by Ben Asaro »

Is this a complete composition? Is it being mastered or mixed with other tracks? Normalized audio tends to be very loud so it depends on the application. What are you doing with it?
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2364 Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:00 am Location: NYC

Post by The Elf »

I see very few reasons to normalise these days. If you need to do something with dynamics then do it and limit the output to set your target level.
The Elf
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 20026 Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Post by Ben Asaro »

The Elf wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:26 pm I see very few reasons to normalise these days. If you need to do something with dynamics then do it and limit the output to set your target level.

Agreed. If it’s just a demo for personal reference, though, normalization isn’t the worst sin.
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

No multiple sample libraries, instruments or mix, just solo piano.
DigitalMusicProduction
Regular

Music is a universal language that speaks to every person, a euphoria of moods that inspires, convicts and heals 

Post by shufflebeat »

I've got nothing technical to add but would only point out that, having just skim-read your signature block in passing I assumed you were involved with a prison rehabilitation programme, until I looked more closely and noticed the comma.
shufflebeat
Longtime Poster
Posts: 9101 Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:00 am Location: Manchester, UK
“…I can tell you I don't have money, but what I do have are a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long career” - (folk musician, Manchester).

Post by Martin Walker »

shufflebeat wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:13 am I've got nothing technical to add but would only point out that, having just skim-read your signature block in passing I assumed you were involved with a prison rehabilitation programme, until I looked more closely and noticed the comma.

Well spotted! ;)

Martin
Martin Walker
Posts: 20634 Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:44 am Location: Cornwall, UK

I understand it's possible to apply your own normalization setting as opposed to the default normalize when exporting, however i can't seem to find this anywhere in Logic.
DigitalMusicProduction
Regular

Post by Ben Asaro »

DigitalMusicProduction wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:15 am I understand it's possible to apply your own normalization setting as opposed to the default normalize when exporting, however i can't seem to find this anywhere in Logic.

When you select BOUNCE, it's in the mixdown window. On the left side are your file types (PCM/WAV; MP3; M4A; Burn to CD), start and end points selected, real/offline mixdown, and then Normalize.
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Error
Last edited by DigitalMusicProduction on Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DigitalMusicProduction
Regular

DigitalMusicProduction wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:38 pm
Ben Asaro wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:25 am

When you select BOUNCE, it's in the mixdown window. On the left side are your file types (PCM/WAV; MP3; M4A; Burn to CD), start and end points selected, real/offline mixdown, and then Normalize.

Your referring to the default normalize where there is no option to customise the setting. I'm looking for the normalize where you can alter the setting.

DigitalMusicProduction
Regular

:problem:
DigitalMusicProduction
Regular

Error
DigitalMusicProduction
Regular

Post by Ben Asaro »

DigitalMusicProduction wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:38 pm
Ben Asaro wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:25 am

Your referring to the default normalize where there is no option to customise the setting. I'm looking for the normalize where you can alter the setting.

Noniiii? :thinking:
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster