Name one Keyboard track that influenced your Keys composition style the most

Arrangement, instrumentation, lyric writing, music theory, inspiration… it’s all here.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Name one Keyboard track that influenced your Keys composition style the most

Post by Arpangel »

BillB wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:59 pm That makes complete sense, Drew. I have sometimes heard guitar solos or fills to great songs and thought ‘I could play that!’. No Steve Morse ‘Tumeni Notes’ (which I love but couldn’t play in a lifetime)... No, just the right notes, well chosen and simply played. Very inspiring.

Yes, you could play the notes, but you’re not whoever that happens to be, the notes won’t be loaded, with the same feelings, and emotions.
I said what you just said, to a great old friend "I can play that" my friend said "you can’t, you’re not him" that has always stuck with me.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Re: Name one Keyboard track that influenced your Keys composition style the most

Post by BillB »

You're right Tony, but the point was not to play those notes. The point was to learn that a great instrumental contribution to a song or tune need not be complex or difficult, it can be simple and 'right', and as such, is within reach of less technically competent players.

Having said that, you are still probably correct because a competent player who can do complex can probably also imbue more feeling (timing, tonal nuances) into a simple phrase. Still, it is good to believe that one can make valid music without necessarily struggling to get to Grade 8.
BillB
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1903 Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2003 12:00 am Location: East Yorkshire

Post by Ben Asaro »

BillB wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:35 pmit is good to believe that one can make valid music without necessarily struggling to get to Grade 8.

I concur. Virtuosity is great, but let's not fetishize it. There is no talent, just hard work, something you want to say, and a fair dose of natural ability (which can be overcome with hard work).
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2357 Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:00 am Location: NYC

Post by tea for two »

wdsteele wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:12 pm we had an old Victorian bellow organ at home so could play my not vey good version to my hearts content - for me synths are wonderful things but a classic organ sound still gives me goosebumps.

I really like playing really simply, Organs with Pedal Boards, they are the ultimate ambient keyboard for me.

Church Organ, there's no keyboard on Earth, that shivers me timbers as a Church Organ.
Although I've never played a CS80 or Tonto's humungous hallsize synth : I would be hopeless at playing them.
tea for two
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Post by tea for two »

BillB wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:35 pm Still, it is good to believe that one can make valid music without necessarily struggling to get to Grade 8.

My ever so kind elderly Violin teacher when I was 12, realising I had no aptitude in the Violin, gently suggested I sit at the Grand Piano in his front room.
That was the last time I took any formal lessons.

I still think tenderly of him.
His family home is still the same house even though he left this Earth.

That gentle kind suggestion from him altered my musical life.
He would smile realising I'm hopeless academically at Piano.
tea for two
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Post by tea for two »

wdsteele wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:12 pm we had an old Victorian bellow organ at home so could play my not vey good version to my hearts content - for me synths are wonderful things but a classic organ sound still gives me goosebumps.

Because of what you said WD I've realised I've not purchased a hardware Synth since 2008.
(Alesis Fusion 8HD workstation. It went to another welcomed home thereafter.
From 2009 its been macs & wind).

Since then the only Keyboards I've in a way longed for are Electric Organs with PedalBoard.
But I've never had the space for them.
There was an Arts Center with Electric Organ with PedalBoard near where Iived 2009-11.
Sometimes I went there just to sit to play.
Kind Ladies running the place were welcoming.
(Although I was embarrassed couldn't look them in the eye lol) .
tea for two
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Post by Roman Koval »

You will laugh but for me it is Virtual Insanity by Jamiroquai-(https://musescore.com/crimeraaa/virtual-insanity-piano). My friend shared this score to me so I started to learn it not by ear but as it should be- acording to the notes. :thumbup:
Roman Koval

Post by wdsteele »

My last synts were the original Yamaha Motif and a Korg MS2000.

Still got a Kawai here , but doesn't belong to me .

I found the Motif fairly disappointing from a user friendly perspective - great sounds though and the KORG arpeggiator didn't sync great in the Mk 1 version.

Logic mostly solved any niggles I had and seemed easier all round.

Perhaps a Moog could change my mind somewhat , but there must be a load of synths that I'm just completely ignorant of that feel like real instruments in their own right - folk seem to love their Nords , maybe because they don't try to be all things to all people , but I guess my "synth" experience is really more of a workstation one.
wdsteele
Regular

Post by tea for two »

wdsteele wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:50 pm Perhaps a Moog could change my mind somewhat , but there must be a load of synths that I'm just completely ignorant of that feel like real instruments in their own right -

I'm also ignorant of 70s 80s analogue synths.
I have purchased a few things I hankered for. Once I had them I realised they are just an object. Even though someones put their heart dedication sacrifices into making this object : I can appreciate it value it for this.
Yet it's us that completes their intended purpose.
tea for two
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Post by tea for two »

Roman Koval wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:33 pm You will laugh but for me it is Virtual Insanity by Jamiroquai-(https://musescore.com/crimeraaa/virtual-insanity-piano). My friend shared this score to me so I started to learn it not by ear but as it should be- acording to the notes. :thumbup:

I won't laugh. I've also done this. I wrote down the notes alphabetically on to manuscript paper it was messy lol (because my sight reading is horrendous to nearly non existant).
Then once I got the notes sorted on my fingers I could listen to the track to hear the groove.
tea for two
Frequent Poster (Level2)