Maths, to be, or not to be?

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Moderator: Moderators

Maths, to be, or not to be?

Post by Arpangel »

I’ve had my Maths module for ages now, and it rarely gets used, it’s so full of potential, but it’s so complex at the same time, and nothing is clear about its operation, the artwork and labelling don’t make things any easier, at all.
I can’t sell it, because I know, that at some point, I’ll need it, probably when run out of attenuators, or LFO's, or mixers, but this is the problem, if you’re using one channel of Maths as an LFO, that means you can’t use it as an attenuator, or a channel of a mixer, Maths can do many things, but not all at once, and that’s why I rarely use it. I can use it all up as a complex oscillator, and that would be it, so it sits there as an emergency aid, but just as the odd attenuator, or LFO. You can’t use it as four independent channels either, as the controls interact with each other across all four channels depending on how you’re using it.
Also, I have LFO's that are clearly labelled, obvious at a glance, with Maths you don’t know where you are regarding waveforms, you have to mess around until you hear something that resembles a sine or a triangle, and that’s another reason why I tend not to use it, functions aren’t obvious.
But that can also be a strong point, if you’re purely into experimentation, and exact settings aren’t important, then Maths is great, you can play around until you hit something interesting, so it really depends on how you approach it, as to how useful it’s going to be for you.
It’s a very frustrating module for me as I want it to be all things across all of my music, but it’s not, if you intend to stay small, Maths puts a lot into a small space, it’s major strength, but it does have its weak points that can be overlooked, you have to think before you buy, if it’s going to work for you.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Re: Maths, to be, or not to be?

Post by Guest »

If you are after a programable/multi function utility module and don't mind a bit of tinkering and learning then these are pretty good: https://shop.bela.io/collections/modular

I have the Salt & Salt+ here, cpu and skill permitting you can get them to do nearly anything.

Programmable in C/C++, PD, SuperCollider and Csound.

Post by Arpangel »

[ACCOUNT DELETED] wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:48 am If you are after a programable/multi function utility module and don't mind a bit of tinkering and learning then these are pretty good: https://shop.bela.io/collections/modular

I have the Salt & Salt+ here, cpu and skill permitting you can get them to do nearly anything.

Programmable in C/C++, PD, SuperCollider and Csound.

Thanks Bob, but those look way beyond me, and I’m not a programmer.
It’s quite funny, modular started out to enable us to make our own patches from simple one function modules, hence the word "modular" :D
It’s all moved on since then, good that is too, but we seem to be trying to make things more complex, condensing things, that takes away from the immediacy of it all for me.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Guest »

Just imagine that inside these salt modules is another mini modular that is also made up of connected mini modules, you can attach your hardware modular to the mini modular using cv cables. Here is an example of those mini modules patched together.

https://designingsound.org/2013/04/02/p ... th-part-1/

Post by Folderol »

That looks an incomprehensible mess to me. Maybe I'm just getting {cough} Middle-aged.
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Posts: 18065 Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:00 am Location: The Mudway Towns, UK
Yes. I am that Linux nut {apparently now an 'elderly'}
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Post by Guest »

Not like this then :)

Post by Folderol »

Well that's a bit better but I find this much more friendly :bouncy:
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Posts: 18065 Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:00 am Location: The Mudway Towns, UK
Yes. I am that Linux nut {apparently now an 'elderly'}
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Post by Arpangel »

Maths was a major help when I had just a few modules, in a small case, it got used a lot more.
But what I’m finding, since I got more single function modules, multiples of, it’s become a bit redundant. Also, I can achieve most of what I can do with Maths, sound wise, on these other modules, so it’s not as if it’s unique in that respect.
I shan’t sell it, it can be fun to self-patch, like a mini-synth voice.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Ben Asaro »

Keep the Maths and learn how to use it. It's a full fledged analogue computer. You just need to start using it in patches.
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2357 Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:00 am Location: NYC

Post by Eddy Deegan »

Ben Asaro wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:35 pm Keep the Maths and learn how to use it. It's a full fledged analogue computer. You just need to start using it in patches.

I agree. Multifunction modules are useful in that they can be pressed into any number of services at a pinch, but at the same time limiting because they can only perform a subset of their capabilities at any one time. But in the case of Maths there are many things it can do that cannot be done as efficiently using dedicated modules.

Tony, I suspect you're using it in a limited capacity. Sure it can do bread and butter stuff but it can get a lot more creative. I expect you've seen the loopop video about why Maths is so useful but if not it might give you some inspiration, and even if so it might remind you of an idea or two!
Eddy Deegan
Posts: 8736 Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:00 am Location: Brighton & Hove, UK
Some of my works | The SOS Forum Album projects  

Post by Arpangel »

Folks, I do use it, but not as much as I maybe could do.
I like using it as a complex oscillator, self patching feedback, etc, it’s cool, but I’ve never really been a fan of that Make Noise aesthetic, I thought it was groovy to start with, but actually, that silly writing is just a pain in the arse, especially for an older person like me, with failing eyesight.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Ben Asaro »

Arpangel wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:59 am Folks, I do use it, but not as much as I maybe could do.
I like using it as a complex oscillator, self patching feedback, etc, it’s cool, but I’ve never really been a fan of that Make Noise aesthetic, I thought it was groovy to start with, but actually, that silly writing is just a pain in the arse, especially for an older person like me, with failing eyesight.

MN is not as bad as some manufacturers, but I agree their legends could be more clean!
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2357 Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:00 am Location: NYC