Advert disappears when I rotate iPhone.

For feedback and suggestions about the SOS magazine, app, web site or forums.

Moderator: Moderators

Advert disappears when I rotate iPhone.

Post by MOF »

I have an iPhone 12 mini which, if I don’t have my earbuds to hand, I have to rotate to landscape orientation to hear stereo sound from the speakers and get the pictures to be full frame.
Yesterday there was an advert about Dolby Atmos featuring Giles Martin and others, which I started playing and then rotated the phone, it promptly disappeared completely and didn’t appear again until today, so I made sure to get my earbuds and play in portrait mode.
I thought I’d mention it, you don’t want to have advertisers thinking their adverts don’t get played in full and not book repeat spaces.
MOF
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2264 Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2003 12:00 am Location: United Kingdom

Re: Advert disappears when I rotate iPhone.

Post by Forum Admin »

Hi MOF

That’s normal behaviour and caused by the Portrait mode using the Mobile theme/layout CSS but Landscape uses Desktop theme/layout and necessarily causes a refresh of adverts into ad slots if you change orientation.
Forum Admin
Posts: 4291 Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2003 11:00 pm Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
Search 16,966 SOS Reviews+Techniques articles: www.soundonsound.com/search
SOS Podcasts

Re: Advert disappears when I rotate iPhone.

Post by MOF »

That’s normal behaviour and caused by the Portrait mode using the Mobile theme/layout CSS but Landscape uses Desktop theme/layout and necessarily causes a refresh of adverts into ad slots if you change orientation.

Thank you for the explanation. It seems a little strange to me that a refresh is necessary within the same page, but I’m sure there must be a good technical reason.
MOF
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2264 Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2003 12:00 am Location: United Kingdom