Session Horns Phase Issues

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Moderator: Moderators

Session Horns Phase Issues

Post by apaclin »

This one crossfades between production and arrangement. So I'm making a horn section, tried to use Native Instruments Session Horns for this and Logic Pro's stock ones. Session horns don't sound phasy unless unless I add another layer of trumpet (I use trumpet 1 and trumpet 2 and I add trumpet 1 again, the same part). The last ones brings phase issues (cos of the same samples obviously). But why there are only 2 trumpets there? Who writes a powerful horn section with just 2 trumpets? Seems pretty ridiculous. Any way to get around it or will have to record real horns?

As for Logic Pro's horns – the phase issues are insane there, whatever you layer.
apaclin
Regular

Re: Session Horns Phase Issues

Post by Drew Stephenson »

Sometimes even very small tweaks to EQ, timing and tuning can be enough to shift things out of that phasey zone without affecting the overall perception of each of those factors. Assume you've had a play with those variables?
Drew Stephenson
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 24623 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Re: Session Horns Phase Issues

Post by RichardT »

One or two trumpets are quite common in horn sections. If you’re not getting enough from the two trumpets in Session Horns I would try upping the midi velocity on the trumpet parts or use the marcato articulation.
RichardT
Frequent Poster
Posts: 4187 Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2004 12:00 am Location: Ireland