Windows doesn't recognize the inputs of my Audio Interface unless it's used in a DAW?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Windows doesn't recognize the inputs of my Audio Interface unless it's used in a DAW?

Post by KMDK »

I have an M-Audio M-Track Quad audio interface and for some reason, my mic only gets recognized when I use it in a DAW and not when I'm on Zoom/Discord/anything else so I'm forced to use my other interface (Roland Quad Capture) for anything that's not DAW related.

I checked the Recording tab on the Sound Settings and for some reason, although the M-Audio appears, it doesn't register my input.

I also keep getting this "Audio Enhancements Problem" (Audio enhancements have been disabled) dialog whenever I open the sound settings if that makes anything clearer.

I downloaded and reinstalled the drivers multiple times and I still get the same problem.

This makes it really annoying for me since I have to keep switching interfaces whenever I want to use my mic for anything that isn't my DAW.

Has anyone else also experienced this problem with their interfaces? I'd appreciate it if anyone can help me with this so I don't have to rely on 2 interfaces. Thank you!
KMDK

Re: Windows doesn't recognize the inputs of my Audio Interface unless it's used in a DAW?

Post by Airfix »

Check your Windows default sound device.
Start > Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Sound > Manage audio devices. Select your preferred default device here.
I'm using Win 7 ..
Airfix
Frequent Poster

Re: Windows doesn't recognize the inputs of my Audio Interface unless it's used in a DAW?

Post by Drew Stephenson »

Airfix wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:59 am Check your Windows default sound device.
Start > Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Sound > Manage audio devices. Select your preferred default device here.
I'm using Win 7 ..

Same sequence in W10. :thumbup:
Drew Stephenson
Jedi Poster
Posts: 24450 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by KMDK »

Airfix wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:59 am Check your Windows default sound device.
I'm using Win 7 ..

Now this is funny... for the first time ever coincidentally after posting this, it worked. I think it's because I turned on the interface much later after I turned on the computer. Hopefully this solves it long term but I'll see how it goes.

To answer your reply though, I've tried that multiple times and it didn't work for me.
KMDK

Figured you might have but it's always working through the basics first.
Do you generally turn on your computer before the interface or vice versa?
Drew Stephenson
Jedi Poster

Post by KMDK »

blinddrew wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:56 pm Figured you might have but it's always working through the basics first.
Do you generally turn on your computer before the interface or vice versa?

I usually turn on the computer first then when it's booting up the bios or in the lock screen, that's when I turn on the interface
KMDK

Might be worth trying the other way round (if the interface isn't bus powered of course).
Drew Stephenson
Jedi Poster

Post by Martin Walker »

blinddrew wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:11 pm Might be worth trying the other way round (if the interface isn't bus powered of course).

I agree - it always tends to be safest to give a computer the very best chance of finding external hardware early on during the boot-up procedure.

Martin
Martin Walker
Posts: 20599 Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:44 am Location: Cornwall, UK

Post by James Perrett »

With my Focusrite Firewire interface, I always found it best to wait until the computer had finished booting before switching on the interface.
James Perrett
Posts: 14250 Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

On my old machine I had to have the interface booted up first, on the new machine I have to let the computer boot up first. :headbang:
Drew Stephenson
Jedi Poster

Post by Rwkitch »

James Perrett wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:03 am With my Focusrite Firewire interface, I always found it best to wait until the computer had finished booting before switching on the interface.

And with my Focusrite 18i20 and PC it's the opposite :)

The fun with computers!
Rwkitch
Poster