Sound control in animal shelter

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Moderator: Moderators

Sound control in animal shelter

Post by resistorman »

Hello, my brother does volunteer work at an animal shelter, and there is a severe noise problem in the dog room. He is hanging baffles from the ceiling which will help a lot, but there's a wall running down the middle of the room so the dogs can't see each other which reflects the sound right back. Please see pictures.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1IreHcO ... sp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lR7_xS ... sp=sharing

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to put there to soak up the sound? It has to be waterproof, especially if it goes all the way to the floor, so open cell foam wouldn't do, I think. He's trying out some closed cell foam, but I believe that would reflect higher frequencies? Would dispersion work best for this? Thanks.
resistorman
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2679 Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:00 am Location: Asheville NC
"The Best" piece of gear is subjective.

Re: Sound control in animal shelter

Post by RichardT »

I think anything attached to the dividing wall is likely to get dirty. A waterproof covering might help that, but it would prevent the air moving freely into and out of the treatment and would reduce its effectiveness. By how much, I’m not sure.

I would attach broadband absorption to the ceiling or walls. I think you’ll need quite a lot to fix the problem.

I’m no expert though - you could try talking to a supplier of acoustic panels to get their advice.
RichardT
Jedi Poster
Posts: 4074 Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2004 12:00 am Location: Ireland

Post by resistorman »

RichardT wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:47 pm I think anything attached to the dividing wall is likely to get dirty. A waterproof covering might help that, but it would prevent the air moving freely into and out of the treatment and would reduce its effectiveness. By how much, I’m not sure.

I would attach broadband absorption to the ceiling or walls. I think you’ll need quite a lot to fix the problem.

I’m no expert though - you could try talking to a supplier of acoustic panels to get their advice.

Thanks, he's had advice about the ceiling and walls and will be hanging absorption panels like they use in gyms etc. But that middle wall is big problem!
resistorman
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Re: Sound control in animal shelter [problem with woofers!]

Post by N i g e l »

What is the floor made from, concrete ?
I can imagine its a very reverberant space.
N i g e l
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 3663 Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:40 pm Location: British Isles

Post by BWC »

From the pictures, it looks like terrazzo flooring, which I would think is about as bad as it gets for reflectivity. Maybe covering both sides of the middle half-wall with something angled so that it reflects up towards the new absorber panels and away from that floor.

What about all that exposed ductwork? Any plans for that?
BWC
Regular
Posts: 475 Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:12 am Location: FL, US
BWC

Post by resistorman »

I look at this layout and despair. It’s as bad as all the new restaurants and clubs I can’t patronize because the audio experience is horrendous. Are acoustics not even mentioned as you learn to be an architect?
resistorman
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Post by BWC »

resistorman wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:18 am ...Are acoustics not even mentioned as you learn to be an architect?

Unless you're specifically training to design studios, theaters, etc., then nope, I doubt there's much mention, sadly.
BWC
Regular
Posts: 475 Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:12 am Location: FL, US
BWC

Post by Drew Stephenson »

Closed cell foam won't do anything useful I'm afraid. The air has to penetrate the material in order for any energy to be absorbed.
What's the purpose of the wall? Is it just to stop the dogs from seeing each other?
Drew Stephenson
Jedi Poster
Posts: 24450 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by BillB »

resistorman wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:39 pm But that middle wall is big problem!

I was going to suggest that, subject to what it is made of, it be demolished and replaced with an absorbent panel with an open wire mesh, or maybe small timbers forming a palisade on both sides. Then I got to thinking about keeping the place clean and spotted the hose and jet wash on the wall! Any change to that divider will have to function the same as the wall in terms of water-resistance!
BillB
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1903 Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2003 12:00 am Location: East Yorkshire

Post by resistorman »

blinddrew wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:00 am What's the purpose of the wall? Is it just to stop the dogs from seeing each other?

Yeah, though I have to wonder if the barking bouncing back at them makes them bark more.
resistorman
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Post by resistorman »

Maybe he could get rid of the wall and hang a row of the absorbers on pulleys so they could be lifted up when washing is going on.
resistorman
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Post by Drew Stephenson »

I was thinking of getting rid of the wall and just hanging some rubber matting from a waist-high pole. If the only objective is blocking the sightline that would do the same job, be just as easy to hose down, and even provide a teensy bit of low frequency absorption.
Drew Stephenson
Jedi Poster
Posts: 24450 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/