Buying microphone cable, 100m drums.

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Buying microphone cable, 100m drums.

Post by Arpangel »

I need some bog standard reasonable quality mic cable for long runs to our our basement, mic lines from the piano room, it’s quite a convoluted route, but I reckon it’ll take about 20m per line, and we need four lines.
I’ve seen this,

https://cpc.farnell.com/pro-power/648b ... ble%20100m

Just wondering if this will be OK? There are others in the list, but they seem thinner, I just need normal thickness, to be quite rugged, as they won’t be permanent, and may be used elsewhere too.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Re: Buying microphone cable, 100m drums.

Post by Mike Stranks »

:thumbup:
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Post by Arpangel »

Mike Stranks wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:19 am:thumbup:

:thumbup::thumbup:

:D
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Arpangel »

This could be a better solution, and allow expansion for keyboard lines etc, works out cheaper and more convenient than running individual cables, plus, it’s ready made.

https://cpc.farnell.com/pulse/pls00035 ... tage%20box
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

I was going to suggest a multicore might be a more versatile solution going forwards....
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 38984 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by Wonks »

I was just wondering about your ‘might be used elsewhere’ comment, and would a multicore be suitable for that?

But then you can always buy single cables as and when in the future if that’s what you need.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 17020 Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am Location: Reading, UK
Reliably fallible.

Post by Arpangel »

Wonks wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:20 am I was just wondering about your ‘might be used elsewhere’ comment, and would a multicore be suitable for that?

But then you can always buy single cables as and when in the future if that’s what you need.

This is Arpangel nothing is simple! :)

On reflection, the multicore drum cable is thick, it needs to go under three doors, which might be difficult, or impossible, the thinner individual cables would.
I thought about running the multicore out of the window around the house, and in the basement window, we can have the door open in the piano room, but not the window, it's too noisy.
Bottom line, I think individual cables may be best, as we can sneak them under the doors.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Music Wolf »

Arpangel wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:32 am
On reflection, the multicore drum cable is thick, it needs to go under three doors, which might be difficult, or impossible, the thinner individual cables would.

What about a solution using shielded CAT cable?

https://www.thomann.de/gb/the_sssnake_cat_snake_5mc.htm
Music Wolf
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2755 Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:00 am Location: Exiled to St Helens

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

It can be done, and it works fine with line-level signals. But personally I'm a bit reluctant to use it for mic-level signals unless you can guarantee the Ethernet cable has individually shielded pairs -- which means either a Cat6A S/FTP type, or a Cat7 cable.

For Arpangel, if you're going the individual cable route, and I understand the practical leanings towards for that approach, buy some long lasting means of cable identification as well...

If you're making up the cables yourself, then colour-coded XLR strain-relief glands is a simple and effective solution. If you're using XX series XLRs then buy the appropriate colours of these bushes: https://cpc.farnell.com/search?st=xlr%20xx%20bush They can't fall off or fade, and they'll also help to identify your custom cables from anyone else's standard ones!

I've also used these self-amalgamating wrap-around labels on a lot of installation cables and they seem pretty reliable.

https://cpc.farnell.com/pro-power/20750 ... dp/CB21252
Hugh Robjohns
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)

Post by Arpangel »

Hugh Robjohns wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:45 am It can be done, and it works fine with line-level signals. But personally I'm a bit reluctant to use it for mic-level signals unless you can guarantee the Ethernet cable has individually shielded pairs -- which means either a Cat6A S/FTP type, or a Cat7 cable.

For Arpangel, if you're going the individual cable route, and I understand the practical leanings towards for that approach, buy some long lasting means of cable identification as well...

I don’t know anything about Cat, seems like the single cable route is the way to go, as Hugh said, I need some sort of cable ID, maybe coloured rings?
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

Updated my post above with more suggestions re colour coding XLRs
Hugh Robjohns

Post by SimonZ »

Different colours of heat shrink sleeve also a fairly cheap option.
SimonZ
Regular
Posts: 297 Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:00 am Location: Portsmouth UK

Post by Arpangel »

Hugh Robjohns wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:59 am Updated my post above with more suggestions re colour coding XLRs

Thanks Hugh, got it.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by MOF »

I’ve always made my microphone cables with Starquad, maybe not relevant for you but my work has taken me to some places where there was the potential for picking up unwanted interference.
MOF
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2264 Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2003 12:00 am Location: United Kingdom

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

Starquad's famed superior interference rejection only applies to interference sources lying physically alongside the cable. So it's beneficial if you're running mic cables directly alongside lighting dimmer power cables, for example, but there's no advantage at all in more typical applications.

Moreover, the much higher capacitance compared to standard cables can become problematic on longer cable runs.

If you're concerned about RF interference then it would be better to invest in Neutrik's EMC XLR connectors and use a good quality cable, ideally with a double-Reussen screen.
Hugh Robjohns

Post by Arpangel »

Hugh Robjohns wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:39 pm Starquad's famed superior interference rejection only applies to interference sources lying physically alongside the cable. So it's beneficial if you're running mic cables directly alongside lighting dimmer power cables, for example, but there's no advantage at all in more typical applications.

Moreover, the much higher capacitance compared to standard cables can become problematic on longer cable runs.

If you're concerned about RF interference then it would be better to invest in Neutrik's EMC XLR connectors and use a good quality cable, ideally with a double-Reussen screen.

The only interference I’m worried about is my partner shouting outside the piano room "are you recording?"

Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by ef37a »

Arpangel wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:40 am
Hugh Robjohns wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:39 pm Starquad's famed superior interference rejection only applies to interference sources lying physically alongside the cable. So it's beneficial if you're running mic cables directly alongside lighting dimmer power cables, for example, but there's no advantage at all in more typical applications.

The only interference I’m worried about is my partner shouting outside the piano room "are you recording?"

Heh! Can you not rig a red "Silence Recording" lamp outside the room? And whatever cables you finally get matey, I would chuck in at least one Cat5e/6 shielded cable as well...SO handy for all sorts of signals. If you find a local network installer he will probably GIVE you 30mtrs 'end of a box'.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster
Posts: 16517 Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 12:00 am Location: northampton uk

Post by Drew Stephenson »

I have often wondered if there were midi-triggered "recording" lights available. I know that if I had one that I had to remember to switch on it would be a waste of time; but something that came on automatically... :thumbup:
Drew Stephenson
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 24583 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by SimonZ »

There are !!!
'Punchlight' have a few options and there are others 👍
SimonZ
Regular
Posts: 297 Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:00 am Location: Portsmouth UK

Post by James Perrett »

SimonZ wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:49 am There are !!!
'Punchlight' have a few options and there are others 👍

And we have a thread describing the Elf's adventures with an Arduino from a few weeks ago building something similar.
James Perrett
Posts: 14354 Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page