Buying microphone cable, 100m drums.

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Buying microphone cable, 100m drums.

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

Nope. That's a commercial music studio (Abbey Road?) using the faders in what has become the 'conventional way', not a BBC studio.

The real reason the BBC used faders opening towards the operator is entirely logical.

The early broadcast consoles, like this Type B desk, used rotary faders -- big knobs that you operated by rotating your wrist. They were fast and accurate, but you could only operate a maximum of two at a time.
typeb.jpg
Then someone came up with the idea of a 'linear fader' with a pivoted arm which dragged contacts across an arc of studs, each connected to a chain of resistors to make an adjustable balanced attenuator. (Note the two microswitches which operate at each end of the fader travel.)

This arrangement allows a lot of faders to be placed next to each other so that several could be operated with separate fingers, allowing multiple channels to be balanced simultaneously, and allowing far more channels to be controlled in a compact desk.

However, the fader knob obviously travels on an arc -- it goes up and over. Here is a Painton quadrant fader looking end on, with a BBC fader scale.

If that is installed into a flat console desktop, then the scale numbers on the side away from the operator (0-10) become invisible and so it's impossible to open the fader accurately to a particular mark because you can't see it.

But if the fader is configured to open towards the operator, it becomes very easy to open to a particular setting because that's marked on the side facing the operator.

Standard BBC practice was to use 23 (the scale goes up to 30) as the unity gain point on the fader. During rehearsals the operator would 'take levels' and note down the required fader setting on the script -- 20, 23, 27 or whatever it might need. During the recording/broadcast they would note the required value from their script for an upcoming source, place their thumb on the scale in the appropriate position, and be confident that they would open the fader to exactly the right mark every time. The up-and-over action also worked very well with the human wrist -- it is a very natural movement.

EMI also used Painton quadrant faders, but with a different scale and in the opposite direction. The scale had 'Out' at the near end (off) and went up to (I think) +20 at the far end, with ) at the unity mark.

Another nice feature of those Painton quadrant faders was that they could be fitted with lightbulbs at each end to illuminate the perspex cover. That could be used to indicate active channels or, when different colour bulbs were used, to indicate channel group routing (or other functions).

This was over forty years before Studer decided to 'invent' the idea of coloured fader slots to indicate channel routing etc, and patent it as 'FaderGlow'... (Now also seen on some Soundcraft digital consoles too)
faderglow.jpg
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 38956 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by Arpangel »

Music Wolf wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:01 am
For the benefit of any younger readers who may have wandered in. This is how we used to lay down those sick beats back in the day.

I’m trying to pin down those large monitors, I see a Quad 33/50e under the right hand speaker, but can’t work out what those monitors are.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by nathanscribe »

Fascinating! Something new every day etc :thumbup:
nathanscribe
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1483 Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:00 am Location: Wakefield, for my sins.
I have no idea what I'm doing.

Post by Dan LB »

Thanks for the info Hugh. Fascinating stuff indeed.

I’m definitely going to have to try it out.

As for the ‘fader glow’ you can also find it on some newer Calrecs too…

Dan LB
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1668 Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:00 am Location: Wicklow, Ireland

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

Arpangel wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:31 am I’m trying to pin down those large monitors, I see a Quad 33/50e under the right hand speaker, but can’t work out what those monitors are.

My guess would be Altec Lansing 605A 'Duplex' monitors

Here's the 'hi-fi' version:

Comprised a 15-inch woofer with a mid/treble horn. Used at Abbey Road in the pop music studios (2/3 -- and that picture looks to me like it's Studio 3) from the 1960s.
Hugh Robjohns
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

Dan LB wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:52 amAs for the ‘fader glow’ you can also find it on some newer Calrecs too…

Ah... well... there's an interesting story there.

I don't know what the current situation is with Calrec, but I believe Studer tried to prevent Calrec from using their coloured ID strips alongside the faders by claiming the patent they somehow were granted on their own 'FaderGlow' system covered Calrec's system too because it was conceptually similar (but physically completely different).

Studer's engineering of the FaderGlow system is quite clever and typically Swiss. But I still struggle to understand how they could claim FaderGlow as a unique invention when the concept of electronically selectable coloured, back-lit faders or fader slots or fader escutcheons, as an aid function identification, pre-dates their design by nearly fifty years, and with at least four practical implementations of similar schemes in existence in the UK alone!

The first implementation of the idea that I know of was with the Painton faders, as already discussed. The next I know of was when SADiE introduced coloured virtual fader slots to indicate different fader automation modes in V3.0 of their DAW, which was around 1996.
SADiE fader automation.jpg
One of the nicest implementations of the concept of changing fader colour to indicate function was from Audix Broadcast (UK). They showed a really clever and fully functional prototype system in 2001 where the actual fader knob changed colour. Sadly, AFAIK no commercial product was ever made with their technology.
65web.jpg
Calrec's system on the Apollo desk (as in the image above) was around the early 2000s, as in your picture and it used a strip of multicoloured LEDs running alongside the fader slot.

In contrast Studer's FaderGlow system uses an end-lit perspex strip mounted inside the fader slot.
Hugh Robjohns

Post by Drew Stephenson »

I now want an old BBC console.

Just because.

(I don't want to have to maintain it though! :D )
Drew Stephenson
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 24547 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

:-D

Actually, not that hard to maintain. All discrete components on relatively spacious circuit boards in well-engineered chassis, and wonderfully detailed comprehensive service manuals still exist.

This is a section of a BBC Type D console -- the type I did my first live broadcasts on:
type D.jpg
And here's a typical* channel module:

*This particular module is supposed to be from an EMI console, but it is uncannily similar to the BBC Type D...
Hugh Robjohns

Post by Luke W »

Hugh Robjohns wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:00 am One of the nicest implementations of the concept of changing fader colour to indicate function was from Audix Broadcast (UK). They showed a really clever and fully functional prototype system in 2001 where the actual fader knob changed colour. Sadly, AFAIK no commercial product was ever made with their technology.

That looks great. I did a few shows on a Soundcraft console with the FaderGlow system and was amazed at how effective it was. I initially thought it was a bit of a gimmick, and it's probably not for everyone, but my brain loves a bit of colour coding and it really helped find my way around when changing between banks/scenes etc.
Luke W
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1535 Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:00 am Location: Northamptonshire, UK

Post by Arpangel »

Hugh Robjohns wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:52 am
Arpangel wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:31 am I’m trying to pin down those large monitors, I see a Quad 33/50e under the right hand speaker, but can’t work out what those monitors are.

My guess would be Altec Lansing 605A 'Duplex' monitors

Here's the 'hi-fi' version:

Comprised a 15-inch woofer with a mid/treble horn. Used at Abbey Road in the pop music studios (2/3 -- and that picture looks to me like it's Studio 3) from the 1960s.

Thanks Hugh, they look very much "the part" where’s my herringbone jacket?

:)
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

Luke W wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:52 amI initially thought it was a bit of a gimmick, and it's probably not for everyone, but my brain loves a bit of colour coding and it really helped find my way around when changing between banks/scenes etc.

Absolutely. It can really make a huge difference when working a complicated live show on a digital console with fader banking. I've lost count of the times I've become confused as to what a particular fader is doing on my old Dm1000 console when switching between channel fader banks, Aux sends, and masters... Some colour-coding would make that so much easier!

On the old BBC Type Ds the fader scales changed colour depending on which group or main output they were selected to feed, and that was really helpful in grabbing the right fader as the director was making it up as he went along! :lol:
Hugh Robjohns

Post by Kwackman »

Hugh Robjohns wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:16 amStandard BBC practice was to use 23

Oh- I'd forgotten that.
And to think 23 (well actually -23) became the magic number for integrated loudness for broadcast.
Coincidence or foil hat time? :bouncy:
Kwackman
Frequent Poster
Posts: 3221 Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2002 12:00 am Location: Belfast
Cubase, guitars.

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

:think: ooh! Spooky! :D
Hugh Robjohns

Post by ef37a »

"Painton faders" Ah, Paintons, one of a myriad industries gone from Northampton.
I made two good mates at Npton Tech' in my teens, Peter and Ivan who worked there. I was never short of carbon film high stab resistors or 27V relays!

Fun fact: Paintons printed the values on their resistors and I recall Pete & Co always struggling with the colour code.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster
Posts: 16517 Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 12:00 am Location: northampton uk

Post by Arpangel »

ef37a wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:29 pm "Painton faders" Ah, Paintons, one of a myriad industries gone from Northampton.
I made two good mates at Npton Tech' in my teens, Peter and Ivan who worked there. I was never short of carbon film high stab resistors or 27V relays!

Fun fact: Paintons printed the values on their resistors and I recall Pete & Co always struggling with the colour code.

Dave.

Dave, it is sad, just looking through old pages of Studio Sound, at all the little business working out of back street workshops, London etc, tape machines, sound equipment, all gone, when I first moved to London, I almost got a job with Vitavox, but it was in the postage department, didn’t fancy it.
We had a thriving small manufacturing industry back then, in sound equipment, personal service, you could just turn up and see your stuff being made, we had a Leevers Rich tape machine, that was made in Hampstead.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

Arpangel wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:19 am We had a thriving small manufacturing industry back then, in sound equipment, personal service...

We still do... but it is different to what was around 60 years ago because today's sound industry is very different too!

But there are lots of people writing plug-ins and apps for audio, people running low-cost mastering, recording and rehearsal rooms, people making boutique microphones, gain-boosters, niche hardware, custom cables... all sorts of stuff.

I use a SADiE editor... that was made in Streatham near Cambridge... :lol:
Hugh Robjohns

Post by ef37a »

Hugh Robjohns wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:27 am
Arpangel wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:19 am We had a thriving small manufacturing industry back then, in sound equipment, personal service...

We still do... but it is different to what was around 60 years ago because today's sound industry is very different too!

But there are lots of people writing plug-ins and apps for audio, people running low-cost mastering, recording and rehearsal rooms, people making boutique microphones, gain-boosters, niche hardware, custom cables... all sorts of stuff.

I use a SADiE editor... that was made in Streatham near Cambridge... :lol:

True Hugh true but I meant the big hitters, Timken Bearings, HUGE. Pollard bearings, Standard Valves, Plessey. Express Lifts but of course we still have 'Paddy's Well' but even that was almost lost!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster
Posts: 16517 Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 12:00 am Location: northampton uk

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

Things change... who knew? :lol:
Hugh Robjohns

Post by Arpangel »

ef37a wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:34 am True Hugh true but I meant the big hitters, Timken Bearings, HUGE. Pollard bearings, Standard Valves, Plessey. Express Lifts but of course we still have 'Paddy's Well' but even that was almost lost!

Dave.

Dave, I worked for Plessey, in telecoms, installing the first System X exchanges. Hated every minute of it, wasn’t for me, went into something a bit more healthy, outside.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by The Elf »

blinddrew wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:37 am
James Perrett wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:21 am
SimonZ wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:49 am There are !!!
'Punchlight' have a few options and there are others 👍

And we have a thread describing the Elf's adventures with an Arduino from a few weeks ago building something similar.

The Elf's creation (like his mixes) is well beyond me, but I shall check out 'Punchlight'. :thumbup:

Yep, it would work for this as well as a myriad other uses. It's actually very simple. As soon as I have my latest prototype completed I intend to make a video describing exactly how it works.

Essentially all you would do is send MIDI messages to my little box and it would light up in any way you like.
The Elf
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 20016 Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.