Buying microphone cable, 100m drums.

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Buying microphone cable, 100m drums.

Post by Drew Stephenson »

I think we might have slightly different ideas of what constitutes 'simple' in this case! :D
But I shall definitely watch your video and see if I'm right. ;)
Drew Stephenson
Jedi Poster
Posts: 24445 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by The Elf »

blinddrew wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:09 pm I think we might have slightly different ideas of what constitutes 'simple' in this case! :D
But I shall definitely watch your video and see if I'm right. ;)

All you need to do is send a MIDI controller, or a MIDI note, and the box will light up one of its lights.

It genuinely is that simple!
The Elf
Jedi Poster
Posts: 19937 Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Post by Martin Walker »

blinddrew wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:23 pm Well, given the prices of the Punchlight ones I might be thinking again about making my own. If I can make it switch off automatically as well I'll let you know. ;)

I thought you might change your mind once you'd seen the price - I remember looking myself out of interest and thinking that DIY was a perfectly feasible alternative.

As for automatic switching, it ought to be possible to interface a circuit that reacts to any MIDI message by latching a light on for perhaps several minutes, and then switches off once no further MIDI message arrive within that several minute period.

Martin
Martin Walker
Posts: 20599 Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:44 am Location: Cornwall, UK

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

The Elf wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:12 pm All you need to do is send a MIDI controller, or a MIDI note, and the box will light up one of its lights.

What's the cost of this MIDI light show box?

I found an eight-channel midi-controlled relay board for about £50 where each relay can be configured to respond independently to CC or note data.

https://www.robot-electronics.co.uk/mid ... immer.html
https://www.robot-electronics.co.uk/htm/midi-rly8.htm

Add a wall-wart power supply, some ultra bright LEDs with current limiting resistors, and a box and you're all done for well under a ton.
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 38834 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by The Elf »

Given that I've made them myself the cost is minimal - and no separate power supply is required if running it USB. It's simply a self-contained box:
This is an early prototype - the next version has a small display and is fully programmable (MIDI channel, note number or CC per-light) via the buttons.

(The lights are velocity (or controller value) sensitive (also with an overall brightness factor) - not just on/off.)

I made it for one of the bands I work with, where we need cues to keep us on track, based on backing patterns, but it's also proving popular at 'the other place' where we've begun to use it to cue in vocalists especially.

Given the interest I'm getting, (and I simply can't make them in numbers), I will admit that I am beginning to wonder about approaching a manufacturer.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Now if we can get the cost down to about £25 that's about the level I can consider.
Drew Stephenson
Jedi Poster

Post by The Elf »

blinddrew wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:18 pm Now if we can get the cost down to about £25 that's about the level I can consider.

I think the most expensive thing was the box - 15 quid! :lol:
The Elf
Jedi Poster

I await your video with interest. :)
Drew Stephenson
Jedi Poster

Post by Dan LB »

Hugh Robjohns wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:00 am
Dan LB wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:52 amAs for the ‘fader glow’ you can also find it on some newer Calrecs too…

Ah... well... there's an interesting story there.

I don't know what the current situation is with Calrec, but I believe Studer tried to prevent Calrec from using their coloured ID strips alongside the faders by claiming the patent they somehow were granted on their own 'FaderGlow' system covered Calrec's system too because it was conceptually similar (but physically completely different).

Studer's engineering of the FaderGlow system is quite clever and typically Swiss. But I still struggle to understand how they could claim FaderGlow as a unique invention when the concept of electronically selectable coloured, back-lit faders or fader slots or fader escutcheons, as an aid function identification, pre-dates their design by nearly fifty years, and with at least four practical implementations of similar schemes in existence in the UK alone!

The first implementation of the idea that I know of was with the Painton faders, as already discussed. The next I know of was when SADiE introduced coloured virtual fader slots to indicate different fader automation modes in V3.0 of their DAW, which was around 1996.
SADiE fader automation.jpg

One of the nicest implementations of the concept of changing fader colour to indicate function was from Audix Broadcast (UK). They showed a really clever and fully functional prototype system in 2001 where the actual fader knob changed colour. Sadly, AFAIK no commercial product was ever made with their technology.
65web.jpg

Calrec's system on the Apollo desk (as in the image above) was around the early 2000s, as in your picture and it used a strip of multicoloured LEDs running alongside the fader slot.

In contrast Studer's FaderGlow system uses an end-lit perspex strip mounted inside the fader slot.

Very interesting! Thanks for the info Hugh :thumbup:
Dan LB
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1668 Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:00 am Location: Wicklow, Ireland

Post by Music Wolf »

blinddrew wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:49 pm I await your video with interest. :)

Here you go. Under £25 Yorkshire version,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRAKRe3un0s
Music Wolf
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2753 Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:00 am Location: Exiled to St Helens

Post by Wonks »

Music Wolf wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:55 am
blinddrew wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:49 pm I await your video with interest. :)

Here you go. Under £25 Yorkshire version,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRAKRe3un0s

If you made it even cheaper and used real tea lights, then you could change the text to 'on fire'. :D
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 17001 Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am Location: Reading, UK
Reliably fallible.

Post by forumuser840717 »

Hugh Robjohns wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:34 pm
The Elf wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:12 pm All you need to do is send a MIDI controller, or a MIDI note, and the box will light up one of its lights.

What's the cost of this MIDI light show box?

I found an eight-channel midi-controlled relay board for about £50 where each relay can be configured to respond independently to CC or note data.

https://www.robot-electronics.co.uk/mid ... immer.html
https://www.robot-electronics.co.uk/htm/midi-rly8.htm

Add a wall-wart power supply, some ultra bright LEDs with current limiting resistors, and a box and you're all done for well under a ton.

Yep. Works for me. :tongue:

forumuser840717 wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 4:11 pm Would something like this MIDI controlled relay module be any help? I've used a few of these in very simple show control/cueing applications for theatrical stuff, just to fire basic switch commands via the relays from MIDI from a sequencer or MSC system to kit that doesn't understand MSC messages. Using them to switch cue lights on and off is very simple.

I used to have a Canford Audio box that did much the same thing in one of their almost indestructible extruded boxes but they seem to have discontinued it.
forumuser840717
Regular