Stacking patch cables

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Moderator: Moderators

Stacking patch cables

Post by The Elf »

No way am I paying 8 quid for a 20cm cable. Anyone aware of alternatives to the outrageously priced TipTop cables?

I'm aware of alternatives such as splitters, but I'd like to keep it a bit neater here - just not 24 quid's-worth of 3 tiny cables neater! :headbang:
The Elf
Jedi Poster
Posts: 19938 Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Re: Stacking patch cables

Post by Folderol »

Still a bit pricey bit try here for three:
https://matttechmodular.co.uk/product-c ... top-audio/
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Posts: 18065 Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:00 am Location: The Mudway Towns, UK
Yes. I am that Linux nut {apparently now an 'elderly'}
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Post by The Elf »

Thanks, but... out of stock.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Post by Ben Asaro »

Tip Top is the only one making reliable stacking cables to my knowledge. There are alternatives, though:

https://www.ctrl-mod.com/products/2hp-m ... 6669124667

https://www.ctrl-mod.com/products/hub-m ... 1020974277
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2357 Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:00 am Location: NYC

Post by Folderol »

It's rather odd. There's no shortage of musos using modular kit, and stackable cables is a pretty obvious need. By now I would have expected there to be dozens of suppliers. The fact that there aren't is probably why tiptop are out of stock!
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Posts: 18065 Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:00 am Location: The Mudway Towns, UK
Yes. I am that Linux nut {apparently now an 'elderly'}
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Post by Ben Asaro »

I find mults to be easier and neater than stacking cables, myself.
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

Absolutely...the leverage on the 3.5mm socket spring contacts from a stacked plug is huge. A guaranteed way of knackering the sockets and developing unreliable connections in double quick time! Using Mult socket strips is a far better solution... assuming you have the space for mults.
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 38835 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by Ben Asaro »

Hugh Robjohns wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:15 pm Absolutely...the leverage on the 3.5mm socket spring contacts from a stacked plug is huge. A guaranteed way of knackering the sockets and developing unreliable connections in double quick time! Using Mult socket strips is a far better solution... assuming you have the space for mults.

+1. You don't need to rack your mult if it's passive, you can keep it hanging outside. Doesn't look as neat but works just the same! Buffered mults required power and have to be mounted.
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Post by Guest »

I have loads of mults they are my favourite module, closely followed by offset/attenuators.

Boring but practical.

Post by Arpangel »

Ben Asaro wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:06 pm I find mults to be easier and neater than stacking cables, myself.

Absolutely, you can get 2hp mults too.
Stackables are nasty things, in a complicated patch you can end up with loads of dodgy wobbly stackables, you touch one and it wobbles the others resulting in a massive soundscape of clicks and noise, which is fine, but only when you want it!
Not only are stackables a ripp-off, they are best avoided, I’ll maybe use one, if I’m pushed, and I’ve run out of multiples,which is rare, the rule of thumb is one mult to one row, I have five mults in 15U.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by The Elf »

Hugh Robjohns wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:15 pmUsing Mult socket strips is a far better solution... assuming you have the space for mults.

No, I don't have space, hence my feeling that a couple of stackers would be a neat option. I've got some of those 'star' hubs, so they'll have to do.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Post by Arpangel »

The Elf wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:57 am
Hugh Robjohns wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:15 pmUsing Mult socket strips is a far better solution... assuming you have the space for mults.

No, I don't have space, hence my feeling that a couple of stackers would be a neat option. I've got some of those 'star' hubs, so they'll have to do.

Buy a mult, and don’t put it in a case, or make one out of cardboard, or, screw it somehow somewhere! Or just get a box drill some holes, and make one, or, get the Behringer System 100 mult module, and put that in its own little box, and have it on the side, loads of sockets on that thing.
The benefits are more secure sockets all round.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster