Recording from Yamaha EMX 5016CF Powered Mixer

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Recording from Yamaha EMX 5016CF Powered Mixer

Post by Little Boxes »

Hi everyone,

I am recording from a Yamaha 5016cf Powered Mixer which we use as part of our PA system in a live situation.

My questions which relate to this unit are:-

1. Should the effects i'm using for the vocals appear at the (1) L/R RCA Record
Outs (2) ST Sub Outs 6.5mm (3) ST Outs 6.5mm ? STEREO

2. Should the effects i'm using for vocals appear at the "Insert Outs" when i'm
using modified TRS jacks without interferring with the normal signal flow ?
MULTI TRACKING
Regards

Alan
Little Boxes
New here

Re: Recording from Yamaha EMX 5016CF Powered Mixer

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

Little Boxes wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:34 am I am recording from a Yamaha 5016cf Powered Mixer which we use as part of our PA system in a live situation.

Fair enough... but be aware that the output from the PA console may not be the same as the sound heard in the room, since the backline amps and other acoustic sources will add to the PA sound in the room.

1. Should the effects i'm using for the vocals appear at the (1) L/R RCA Record Outs (2) ST Sub Outs 6.5mm (3) ST Outs 6.5mm ?

Yes, assuming your effects are feeding into the stereo mix bus.

The ST Out and ST Sub Out sockets carry the same signal which is the stereo mix bus with the DSP processing (graphic EQ, feedback suppression, and multiband compressor). The only difference is that the Sub outputs are derived before main fader.

The Rec Out sockets also carry the stereo mix bus, but the feed is taken before all the DSP processing (and main fader).

2. Should the effects i'm using for vocals appear at the "Insert Outs" when i'm using modified TRS jacks without interferring with the normal signal flow ?

There are no master bus inserts, so I guess you're talking about the individual input channels. In which case, the answer will be no. The channel inserts just carry the individual channel signal, derived after the channel preamp gain, HPF, Compressor and EQ controls, but before the channel fader.

If you're using the internal effects generator then its outputs are routed directly into the stereo mix bus and/or the two Aux sends.

Studying the signal paths shown in the block diagram on page 39 of the manual helps a lot to answer these kinds of questions.
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 39053 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by Little Boxes »

Hello Hugh,

Thankyou for replying so promptly. Yes I am aware of the sound difference that you mention.
Your reply clarifies what signal is available where, & with that information I should be able to trace this on the circuit diagram much easier now.

Thanks once again

Alan
Little Boxes
New here

Post by Little Boxes »

Hello Hugh,
I’ve now studied the circuit diagram & am a lot more familiar with the various transport routes.
Am I correct in seeing that ONLY the ST Outs (6.5mm) output the same signal as the Speaker Outputs. ie:- Faders / Digital EQ / Digital Effects.

Regards
Alan
Little Boxes
New here