PREAMP before SSL2+ input?!?!

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

PREAMP before SSL2+ input?!?!

Post by harky »

Im building a mobile rig.
Is there ANY point in having an FMR RNP before my input on the SSL2+?

Boosting gain with low noise floor?
Adding character?

for vox, synths, instruments, field recording...

Thoughts?
harky
New here

Re: PREAMP before SSL2+ input?!?!

Post by James Perrett »

For a mobile rig you normally want to keep things as simple as possible to avoid the possibility of things going wrong and to speed the setup so I'd say that it isn't worth the hassle for the minute change in sound that you might hear.
James Perrett
Posts: 14352 Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Post by harky »

i mean mobile in a vehicle - so the space and the setup is not so tight.
im just wondering if its a valuable addition in general - accross the board for instruments.

or should i get and RNC instead for more options?
harky
New here

Post by resistorman »

harky wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:45 pm
Is there ANY point in having an FMR RNP before my input on the SSL2+?

No.
resistorman
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2691 Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:00 am Location: Asheville NC
"The Best" piece of gear is subjective.

Post by James Perrett »

I really can't see how you would incorporate an RNC in your setup. It is a great piece of kit in the right circumstances but these days hardware compression isn't vital in a digital setup. You'll get similar results with a transparent plug-in
compressor.
James Perrett
Posts: 14352 Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Post by Wonks »

You’ve got an SSL2+, so you’ve got good preamps, and you can use the 4K option for colour if you want it. But generally you’ll want a nice uncoloured signal to start with, you can then add colour with plug-ins without any risk of overdoing it and ruining a great perfornance.

As others have said, there is no need to use a hardware compressor these days. As the RNC is line-level only, and the SSL has no insert points, you could only use it after another preamp like the RNP.

You’ve only got two channels of input, so it really is best to record cleanly with plenty of headroom. As this is for location recording, then I’d avoid using low output dynamic mics where you always need to add lots of gain, like an SM7b.

Two inputs seems a low input count to create a mobile recording system round unless you are first using a much larger channel count mixer to create a stereo signal from, in which case keeping it clean is paramount.

It may help if you can describe what you plan to do, and the sort of recordings you want to make, in more detail.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 17020 Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am Location: Reading, UK
Reliably fallible.

Post by Arpangel »

I’m not going to say yes or no, you probably don’t "need" a comp on those inputs, but there are people like me, that no matter how carefully you set levels, you can sometimes get caught out, that’s why I have comps on all my inputs, they hardly do anything, but they make me feel better.
But regarding "flavour" or "colour" using a comp for that, unless it’s a spectacularly nice one, which means spectacularly expensive, then you’re better off getting that colour elsewhere, from the mic, or the source, whatever it is.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Mike Stranks »

Post deleted in the light of other circumstances...
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Post by Arpangel »

Mike Stranks wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:06 amPost deleted in the light of other circumstances...

I think I know what you were going to say Mike :)
And you’re right, levels down, no problems.
But it is ironic, this colour that’s talked about, us tape guys had it there to start with, that was the point of pinning the meters to the end stops!

:D
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Humble Bee »

The OP was talking about the RNP (Really nice preamp) which could be used feeding the line inputs of the SSL.
But it would be overkill. The SSL pres are more than capable and I doubt the RNP would add anything apart from making the setup unnecessarily complex.

If you need more gain (which I doubt) get a Triton Audio Fethead or something like that.
Humble Bee
Regular
Posts: 395 Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:00 am Location: Cloughton Newlands