Noisy DI sockets

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Noisy DI sockets

Post by paulfromcamden »

I have an ancient MTR active stereo DI with jack sockets that crackle a bit if I wiggle the cables.

Obviously not wiggling the cables is one solution :) but is there a quick/easy fix that doesn't involve a soldering iron?

Thanks!
paulfromcamden
Poster

Re: Noisy DI sockets

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

Since it's an ancient DI box, it's probably just corrosion on the socket contacts. Cleaning with a suitable contact cleaner will help (eg, Deoxit D5 or Servisol Super 10) but it will almost certainly need some mechanical assistance as well with a suitable burnisher/solvent injector tool like this one from Studiospares (other suppliers do them too!).

I recently reviewed Krackle Killers which work well and aren't expensive. You spray the contact cleaner onto the foam plug, and then insert and remove it a few times (without rotating it!) to remove any crud on the contacts.
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 38969 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by Wonks »

You can try squirting some contact clearer in there and it might improve things, but if the spring connections are getting tired, then that may not give an improvement.

If the sockets are directly soldered to a PCB, then you might have a cracked/dry joint or two.

I'd try contact cleaner first, Caig DeoxIT, WD 40 Contact Cleaner (not normal WD40) or Servisol 10 (though that is best for pots) and see where you are.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 17020 Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am Location: Reading, UK
Reliably fallible.

Post by ef37a »

Also burnish the plugs with a plastic pan scourer then apply the merest smear of regular WD-40 to stop further tarnishing.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster
Posts: 16517 Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 12:00 am Location: northampton uk

Post by Martin Walker »

Wonks wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:04 pm You can try squirting some contact clearer in there and it might improve things, but if the spring connections are getting tired, then that may not give an improvement.

Depending on the design of the spring contacts, opening up the box and bending them a little towards where the plug slots in can result in greater tension and a more reliable contact and they are cleaned.

I've done this with guitar jack sockets in the past and got years more life out of them.

Martin
Martin Walker
Posts: 20632 Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:44 am Location: Cornwall, UK