Master audio file from LP

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Moderator: Moderators

Master audio file from LP

Post by ManFromGlass »

I’m following the topics here that are discussing tape as I might repress an album from 1978. I have the original 1/4” master tapes but they have not been stored in a good environment and might be pooched.
I was hoping a workable Plan B would be to make a master file from the original LP. I have 3 unopened LPs. I assume I need to find someone with a high end turntable and related bits.
I’m asking if anyone here has digitized an LP to an acceptable degree. I assume there will be some clicks and pops and surface noise.
( I find it amusing that I may end up with a digital master that has all the LP noises embedded in it that will then be pressed into an LP that will add it’s own LP noises upon playback making the playback experience doubly better? :D )
ManFromGlass
Jedi Poster
Posts: 6645 Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:00 am Location: O Canada

Re: Master audio file from LP

Post by James Perrett »

Use the master tapes - they will be retrievable by someone who knows what they are doing. If I remember right you aren't too far from Toronto so Richard Hess would probably be the person to contact to transfer the tapes.

I've mastered albums taken from vinyl where the tapes have been lost and the results, in my opinion, are never quite as good as they would have been if the tapes were available. Pops and clicks can be removed easily but the biggest issue is inner groove distortion on the tracks closer to the centre of the record.
James Perrett
Posts: 14250 Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Post by Drew Stephenson »

And nobody wants their inner groove distorted. ;)
Drew Stephenson
Jedi Poster
Posts: 24450 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by Tim Gillett »

I agree with James that finding an expert is the key. Often the most dangerous time for a tape is when it is unwound and played. Richard is a world expert in tape treatment and playback.
Tim Gillett
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2625 Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:00 am Location: Perth, Western Australia

Post by ManFromGlass »

Valuable tip. I will search him out. I’ve sent out feelers to a few other people with this experience too. I won’t even touch the tape until advised by an expert.
ManFromGlass
Jedi Poster
Posts: 6645 Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:00 am Location: O Canada

Post by ken long »

+1 for Richard
ken long
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 3510 Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:00 am Location: Somers Town
I'm All Ears.