Printed Manuals

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Printed Manuals

Post by Mike Stranks »

The subject of why manufacturers increasingly don't supply printed manuals or Quick-start guides comes up here from time to time with views either deprecating their absence or pointing-out that they're usually available online.

Of course those manufacturers who give the skimpiest of guides and assume you'll pick it up as you go along are censured by one and all.

Today I took delivery of a new piece of kit that I've seen reviewed in several YouTube videos so already had a fair idea what the various buttons and dials are for. But it comes with a printed 38-page Quick-start guide. :clap::thumbup:

Only problem is the size... 10.5 x 14 cms :thumbdown:

and

Just about readable without a magnifying glass...

Fortunately, the QS guide and a full manual are easily accessible on-line...

7 out of 10... Could do better... :lol:
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Re: Printed Manuals

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

:bouncy:
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 39001 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by forumuser840717 »

Maybe they took the product name a bit literally and you have to buy an RGBlink Maxi or something to get the full fat manual. :beamup:
forumuser840717
Regular

Post by Folderol »

It's not just user guides. Try reading the information sheets that come with medicines - and that's really important stuff :(
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Posts: 18199 Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:00 am Location: The Mudway Towns, UK
Yes. I am that Linux nut {apparently now an 'elderly'}
Onwards and... err... sideways!