Connecting multiple sources to 1 set of amplifiers, cheaply

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Connecting multiple sources to 1 set of amplifiers, cheaply

Post by claz »

Hello, I have multiple sources that I'd like to connect to one set of tube power amplifiers.

I'm looking for a recommendation for a cheap and transparent source selector or aggregator, nothing fancy.

I already have a volume attenuator before the amp.

Most of the sources output via RCA cables (CD, LP, radio -- 5 total), so something that supports that natively would be ideal -- but I'm open to suggestion.

Is there any reason not to do this with multiple RCA-splitting cables -- but in reverse, so that all the Left channels eventually come down to a single left, and all the rights to a right?

Or a budget preamp? I'm hoping to stay in the $100 range, as I don't need a phono stage, and I don't want wireless connectivity.

There are various products on Amazon that purport to accept many RCA in, with 1 RCA out, but I'm somewhat suspect of their quality, perhaps unjustly. Hence my asking here.

Thanks for any thoughts.
claz
Regular

Re: Connecting multiple sources to 1 set of amplifiers, cheaply

Post by Mike Stranks »

I've used varieties of the 'Amazon' type multi-switchers on many occasions without issues.

You should be able to get one that works fine for about $10-$20...

... non-switched splitter cables are both cumbersome and unnecessary - and could cause audio quality and potential damage issues. Switcher not splitter! :)
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Post by Drew Stephenson »

A cheap mixer, like this for example: https://www.gear4music.com/PA-DJ-and-Li ... -Mixer/2A8 , and some RCA to 1/4" jack converters like this: https://cpc.farnell.com/pro-signal/psg0 ... XcQAvD_BwE should do the job.
Drew Stephenson
Jedi Poster
Posts: 24445 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by claz »

Thanks for the suggestions, admonitions, and confirmations!
claz
Regular

Post by Ben Asaro »

Without some sort of attenuation, line level sources going straight into a power amp may be very loud!
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2357 Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:00 am Location: NYC

Post by Wonks »

Ben Asaro wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:27 pm Without some sort of attenuation, line level sources going straight into a power amp may be very loud!

claz wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:50 pm I already have a volume attenuator before the amp.

Looks like that’s already taken care of.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 17001 Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am Location: Reading, UK
Reliably fallible.