Reaper and X-Touch One not on speaking terms

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Reaper and X-Touch One not on speaking terms

Post by BobTheDog »

FrankF wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:21 pm
blinddrew wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:08 pm Does the x-touch have different operating modes? And if so, which one is it in now?

Sorry, to answer your question: the LCD says "Mode MC Reaper", but I had to power it on YET AGAIN in config mode to get it to show that.

Surely I don't have to reconfigure it every time I switch it on? :evil:

I think you do, I have one that I never got quite working with any daw. I do seem to remember having to configure it on every startup though for a specific DAW
BobTheDog
Frequent Poster
Signature block of the week.

Post by blinddrew »

Hmm. I'm pretty certain there are other people here happily using x-touches without a configuration every time they boot up. But I could be wrong, it wouldn't be the first time.

To get the BCF working I had to go onto the Reaper forum and get hold of the Klinke extension, then it was a doddle to configure through the OSC menu.
There are two main disadvantages to the BCF, no touch sensitivity on the faders, which makes writing automation a bit more awkward, and the faders are more agricultural than the new ones from the x-touch.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Posts: 16508 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Post by Rich Hanson »

Ah, ignore me, I must be misremembering.

I did find this on YouTube about it though, from Behringer themselves: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBOATNS1V8o
Rich Hanson
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2531 Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2003 12:00 am Location: Sort of near Rochester, Kent, UK

Post by BobTheDog »

I’ll get mine out of the cupboard and try it with reaper when I get a chance...
BobTheDog
Frequent Poster
Signature block of the week.

Post by FrankF »

Thanks for the replies, chaps.
Bob, if you get it working, I'd love to hear what you did.

It seems that no matter what controller you use, you have to faff around with some add-on script or extension, as Blinddrew mentioned.
I saw some other extension options on the Reaper forum: maybe I'll have a go with one of them.

I'm currently in a sort of No Man's Land (but without the smoke and barbed wire), where I don't want to abandon my digital multitracker (AKAI DPS24), but I do want access to all the MIDI note-correction and other possibilities of a DAW, ham-fisted keyboard player that I am.
Buying the X-touch was an attempt to cross over to the other side, so to speak, but Ouch! I got shot! (That'll learn me to mix my metaphors...)

So I'm wondering what other controllers people are using to get real faders (not necessarily motorised) and transport controls.
For example, would something like the Arturia Keylab do the trick? It has faders and transport controls and knobs...
FrankF
Regular
Posts: 241 Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2002 12:00 am Location: La Vendée, France

Post by blinddrew »

I also use a Korg nanoKontrol2 in my set-up. It does require configuring but just using its own editor and assigning various CC controls to whatever you want them to do in Reaper, and it's been rock solid since.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Post by FrankF »

Rich Hanson wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:29 am Ah, ignore me, I must be misremembering.

I did find this on YouTube about it though, from Behringer themselves: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBOATNS1V8o

Well, would you Adam and Eve it: that worked!
Many thanks for finding that, Rich. :clap:
I will now spend the next 5 minutes feeling stoopid for not having found that clip on YT. :oops:
FrankF
Regular

Post by FrankF »

blinddrew wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:29 pm I also use a Korg nanoKontrol2 in my set-up. It does require configuring but just using its own editor and assigning various CC controls to whatever you want them to do in Reaper, and it's been rock solid since.

Thanks, BD: I might still pick up a BCF2000 on your reccie, as it's only 80 euros, and it gives me an excuse to drive to Nantes. :-)
Is there anything I should specifically look out for, in your opinion, when testing it?
FrankF
Regular

Post by blinddrew »

FrankF wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:09 pm
blinddrew wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:29 pm I also use a Korg nanoKontrol2 in my set-up. It does require configuring but just using its own editor and assigning various CC controls to whatever you want them to do in Reaper, and it's been rock solid since.

Thanks, BD: I might still pick up a BCF2000 on your reccie, as it's only 80 euros, and it gives me an excuse to drive to Nantes. :-)
Is there anything I should specifically look out for, in your opinion, when testing it?

Faders. If anything's likely to go wrong it's them, so just check the action on them. And check for the fader cap being bent over to one side; that in itself isn't necessarily a problem, but if someone has then tried to bend it back they might have bent it further down.
If you can plug it in and have it powered up then all the faders should default to zero. Push them up one at a time and they should automatically return smoothly to zero (with a less than smooth 'thunk' at the end - they're not as good as the faders in the x-touch or X32 series).
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Post by Rich Hanson »

FrankF wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:03 pm
Rich Hanson wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:29 am Ah, ignore me, I must be misremembering.

Well, would you Adam and Eve it: that worked!
Many thanks for finding that, Rich. :clap:
I will now spend the next 5 minutes feeling stoopid for not having found that clip on YT. :oops:

Glad you're up and running now.

Sometimes we just fail to get the right search terms when trying to find things so no need to feel stupid :D
Rich Hanson
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2531 Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2003 12:00 am Location: Sort of near Rochester, Kent, UK