Just Intonation

Arrangement, instrumentation, lyric writing, music theory, inspiration… it’s all here.

Moderator: Moderators

Just Intonation

Post by tea for two »

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QE2CEh66gTg
Terry Riley performance 1970s.

Just stumbled upon this.

Yamaha YC-45D* modified for Just Intonation for Terry Riley.

:::::::

I remember 2001/2002 influenced by Jan Garbarek (Saxophone), with Anouar Brahem (Oud), Shaukat Husain (tabla)
particularly their track Sull Lull (its not on youtube standard)
so here's their track Sebika
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_g_zCxUBbbc

and

L Shankar double Electric Violin+Viola
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=txjJrtx7B18

I was playing  my version of Jan Garbarek, Anouar Brahem, L Shankar.
I had An1x, Sy85.

I never heard of Terry Riley.
It was only around 15 years later I heard of Terry.
I realised I been trying to do tings on keybords (Equal Temperament),
Terry did 40 50 years earlier on Just Intonation.

I could still do this stuff but I have to be in the frame of whatever. I can't just sit a keyboard.

Similar the Blues, as the saying goes :  you don't play the Blues, you gotta feel be the Blues.

https://www.soundonsound.com/forum/view ... f=25&t=559
Dave Etheridge made some nice posts on Just Intonation.

*(There was a YC-45D around 440squid, collection only, on Reverb, it was Equal Temperament).
tea for two
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Re: Just Intonation

Post by Dashanna »

Yes, I find this kind of stuff fascinating too.

Another one to listen to, if you haven't, is the La Monte Young Forever Bad Blues Band cd "Just Stompin."
Dashanna
Regular

Post by Folderol »

I actually tried this tuned for C on Yoshimi (with it's microtonal settings). Quite interesting having the lack of beating, but does restrict you to the key it's set for, unless you want the oddities off-key.
I also tried Pythagorean tuning. That made a subtle but noticeable difference to some of my more complex tunes.
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Posts: 18059 Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:00 am Location: The Mudway Towns, UK
Yes. I am that Linux nut {apparently now an 'elderly'}
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Post by zenguitar »

I heard something similar to Just Intonation at the open mic at the pub last night.

A girl singer turned up with backing tracks on her phone. When singing she would take a run up towards the notes before deciding on a rough approximation of a target pitch. I called it Just-in-Time Intonation.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
Posts: 12507 Joined: Thu Dec 05, 2002 12:00 am Location: Devon
Is it about a bicycle?

Post by tea for two »

Dashanna wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:03 am Yes, I find this kind of stuff fascinating too.

Another one to listen to, if you haven't, is the La Monte Young Forever Bad Blues Band cd "Just Stompin."

Appreciated Dashanna. I was trying to locate it as I hadn't heard it before.

Folderol wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:57 am I actually tried this tuned for C on Yoshimi (with it's microtonal settings). Quite interesting having the lack of beating, but does restrict you to the key it's set for, unless you want the oddities off-key.
I also tried Pythagorean tuning. That made a subtle but noticeable difference to some of my more complex tunes.

Will you are the Yoshimi person. This is the first time I considered Yoshimi now that you said it does microtonal.

zenguitar wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:25 pm I heard something similar to Just Intonation at the open mic at the pub last night.

A girl singer turned up with backing tracks on her phone. When singing she would take a run up towards the notes before deciding on a rough approximation of a target pitch. I called it Just-in-Time Intonation.

Andy :beamup:

:D:lol:

That's why I make instrumental music. I'm a legend at just no intonation or is it atonal singing :headbang:
tea for two
Frequent Poster (Level2)