External Monitors "Sleep Mode"

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Moderator: Moderators

External Monitors "Sleep Mode"

Post by TomChimera »

Hi all,

I have 15 year old pair of Behringer truths which I was thinking to use as regular media speakers.. Of course, every time I turn them On they make a loud thump and if the pc that is connected to them turns Off they make an unhealthy sounding click :).

Is there an external device I can connect to them so I could leave them On permanently and it will manage their On-Off states safely?

The new Behringer truths have "sleep mode" but I read it doesn't work properly, it needs a lot of volume to turn On and while playing at low volume it can go to sleep, so I wonder if modding is a sensible option..

Thank you for you help!
TomChimera
Poster

Re: External Monitors "Sleep Mode"

Post by resistorman »

My Focal 50s are the first monitors I’ve owned with a sleep function, and I find it mildly annoying. Not enough to open them up to hack the circuitry though, since they have ok signal detection and circuitry to avoid thumps. I’m not sure what you mean by external circuitry, the smartass reply would be yeah, keep a signal going through it :mrgreen:
resistorman
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2691 Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:00 am Location: Asheville NC
"The Best" piece of gear is subjective.

Post by TomChimera »

:lol:
I imagined sort of device which I would plug both the audio and power, and output them to the speakers, and it will manage their state.
I wouldn't use it in a studio because it could effect the sound in few ways, but for a living room I don't mind. :)

Maybe such thing doesn't exist or if it does, it would cost like the amount I would invest in renovating my 70's speakers and amp, which is the other option I thought about. :)
TomChimera
Poster

Post by James Perrett »

Unless you leave them switched on all the time you are likely to always end up with the large thump - no matter whether you use the switch on the monitor or an external switch.

The click from the laptop is easier to deal with by using an inline mute switch or even a passive monitor controller. Mute switches don't seem common though so it may be cheaper to buy a passive monitor controller.
James Perrett
Posts: 14353 Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Post by TomChimera »

Thanks James,

I actually also have Focusrite 2i2, which doesn't qualify as "passive monitor controller" because it is a usb and dependent on the state of the pc.
If I remember correctly even if the knob was at 0 and the pc went to Sleep there was a click. (probably could change in the usb power setting)

So do you mean like a passive volume knob that when it's volume at 0 or muted button there will be no click?
Interesting, how does a passive monitor controller solves the click?

TomChimera
Poster

Post by James Perrett »

Yes, if you hit the mute button or turn the volume right down on a monitor controller, no sound will come through which includes any clicks created by your audio interface. A passive monitor controller doesn't require any power to work (though some incorporate a headphone amp which does require power).
James Perrett
Posts: 14353 Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Post by Arpangel »

Why do you need to leave them on permanently?
I have two pairs of Truths, one thumps on power up, the others don’t.
I always make them the last thing to be turned on, and the first thing to be turned off, no problems.
The thump on one pair isn’t an issue, it’s not damaging, there’s nothing I can do about it anyway.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by TomChimera »

James Perrett wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:47 am Yes, if you hit the mute button or turn the volume right down on a monitor controller, no sound will come through which includes any clicks created by your audio interface. A passive monitor controller doesn't require any power to work (though some incorporate a headphone amp which does require power).

Allright, Thanks for the explanation that's good to know!

Arpangel wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:27 am Why do you need to leave them on permanently?
I always make them the last thing to be turned on, and the first thing to be turned off, no problems.
The thump on one pair isn’t an issue, it’s not damaging, there’s nothing I can do about it anyway.

Oh yes, of course I follow the gods of 'last on first off'.. but I thought to use them as media speakers like for living room, and also in an art gallery and wanted to spare them from few clicks.. (Is that English btw? :) )
Not necessarily to leave them on permanently but just more abuse ready, I can't expect other people who'll be using them to care for them same way..
TomChimera
Poster

Post by Arpangel »

TomChimera wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:11 am
James Perrett wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:47 am Yes, if you hit the mute button or turn the volume right down on a monitor controller, no sound will come through which includes any clicks created by your audio interface. A passive monitor controller doesn't require any power to work (though some incorporate a headphone amp which does require power).

Allright, Thanks for the explanation that's good to know!

Arpangel wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:27 am Why do you need to leave them on permanently?

Oh yes, of course I follow the gods of 'last on first off'.. but I thought to use them as media speakers like for living room, and also in an art gallery and wanted to spare them from few clicks.. (Is that English btw? :) )
Not necessarily to leave them on permanently but just more abuse ready, I can't expect other people who'll be using them to care for them same way..

Most people for whom English isn’t their first language always make the same mistake, they use too many words, just say "spare them from clicks" we will know what you mean.
:thumbup::D8-)
I’ve had my Truths for years, clicks or no clicks, they are still fine, as long as you don’t put large spikes through your system from other equipment, you should be fine, the Truths are quite hardy things.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster