Moving Stereo Image

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Moving Stereo Image

Post by twotoedsloth »

Hello,

Thanks for taking the time to read and hopefully, respond to this. I'm in a bit of a jam, for some reason my Yamaha 01v96 is putting the right side of my stereo mix much more prominent. Is there an easy way to pan a stereo file the same as if I were working with two mono tracks? I am recording using Reaper, but I could use Sound Forge, Cubase or Vegas.

I have a new A&H SQ5, but it's still in the box, a project for next week, just gotta get through this week.

Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Peter
twotoedsloth
Frequent Poster

Re: Moving Stereo Image

Post by Drew Stephenson »

I'm not entirely sure if this is what you mean, but if you right click the pan knob on a reaper track you can change how the pan tool works, including a dual-mono option.
Drew Stephenson
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 24639 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by Ben Asaro »

I don't know much about Reaper, but you should be able to split or mixdown that file as two mono tracks and then re-pan and adjust as desired.

As a side thought: do you know what the cause of the issue is? Is it just this one patch, or all of them? Did your keyboard somehow get its output balance knocked askew?
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2365 Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:00 am Location: NYC

Post by Wonks »

Are you listening through headphones or on monitors?

If monitors, it could be that one is slightly louder than the other, or it could be that the room acoustics are affecting the balance. Worth checking on headphones to see if the mix is still out of balance on those.

Have you got any acoustic treatment in your room, and is the monitoring set up pretty much centrally, or is it to one side of the space?
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 17020 Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am Location: Reading, UK
Reliably fallible.

Post by Ben Asaro »

Wonks wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:27 pm Are you listening through headphones or on monitors?

If monitors, it could be that one is slightly louder than the other, or it could be that the room acoustics are affecting the balance. Worth checking on headphones to see if the mix is still out of balance on those.

Have you got any acoustic treatment in your room, and is the monitoring set up pretty much centrally, or is it to one side of the space?

Great questions; way to throw down the Science! :)
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2365 Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:00 am Location: NYC

Post by Sam Inglis »

Could it be that the left side has become unbalanced for some reason? Try swapping the cables over and see if the problem follows the cables. If not then perhaps also try using a different pair of outputs on the mixer.
Sam Inglis

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

twotoedsloth wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:14 pm... for some reason my Yamaha 01v96 is putting the right side of my stereo mix much more prominent. Is there an easy way to pan a stereo file the same as if I were working with two mono tracks?

The usual control is a BALANCE control which allows the left or channel to be made louder relative to the other one...

But as you've said, there is a reason for this problem and you should track it down and correct it.

You imply this imbalance problem is new and linked to the Yamaha console. That would tend to rule out monitor alignment and acoustic issues, although Wonks is quite correct that these are common culprits in new studio installations.

Assuming it is console-related the console and DAW metering should reveal where the imbalance is being introduced. I'd check the connections first. Is a plug not fully inserted, or a cable broken and only provide half a balanced signal?

Next, check the pan and routing settings on the channels in use and make absolutely sure that other channels aren't also contributing one side to the output twice via a different path. And check the channel pan options and settings. These things are hidden away on different screens on that Yamaha console so are not immediately obvious.

Using calibrated test tones helps a lot with this kind of problem as they give steady meter readings!
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 39023 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by James Perrett »

Hugh Robjohns wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:48 am Using calibrated test tones helps a lot with this kind of problem as they give steady meter readings!

Since you are using Reaper, take a look at the JS: Tone Generator plug-in.
James Perrett
Posts: 14376 Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page