ZOOM L20 Question

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

ZOOM L20 Question

Post by trcsooner »

My band is looking to purchase a L20...

I have a question. We all have in-ears. I know that we can each have a specific 'individual mix', but within each individual mix can you 'pan'?

For instance: say there are 2 guitarist, and one guy wants one guitar in his left ear and the other guitar in his right ear for his mix... but another guy wants both guitars centered for his mix, is that possible?
trcsooner

Re: ZOOM L20 Question

Post by Sam Inglis »

It's been a while since I tried this but I'm pretty sure the answer is no. IIRC pan is set per track, like EQ and compression, and is the same in all cue mixes.
Sam Inglis

Post by Mike Stranks »

I looked at the manual last night and, by implication, came to the same conclusion as Sam's real-world observation.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Post by The Elf »

I have a LiveTrak L-12 and can confirm. I would assume the L-20 is the same.

In a stage situation I'd suggest that panning per performer is of questionable value and the lack of it wouldn't put me off in the slightest.

That said, you could alternatively look at one of the systems that offers personalised monitor mixers. I use a Behringer XR18 and a clutch of P16-M (via a P16-D) for the band. Each member can create their own mix of 16 channels, including panning and EQ, and they can decide on how they monitor, be it wedges, speakers, or headphones. All it takes is a single Ethernet cable to each mixer, which also carries the power.

Since I implemented this system I get no more more monitor whinging from anyone!
The Elf
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 20028 Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Post by Music Wolf »

The Elf wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:28 am I use a Behringer XR18 and a clutch of P16-M (via a P16-D) for the band.

I got myself a P16-M for my birthday back in June. Yesterday was the first time I used it in rehearsal (first gig coming up in a couple of week's time) and I have to say that I'm chuffed to bits with it.

Even though I've got my laptop to hand running the XR18 mix screen it's still worth the cost of the P16-M just to give me the physical control for tweaking on the fly. I'm pretty sure that the singer will be investing in one very soon.
Music Wolf
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2755 Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:00 am Location: Exiled to St Helens

Post by trcsooner »

Thanks
trcsooner