The ‘RIGHT way’ to record Drum(samples!)?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: The ‘RIGHT way’ to record Drum(samples!)?

Post by merseymale »

James Perrett wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:40 pm
merseymale wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:51 pm How would I get a drum replacer app and how to put it into reaper?…Any thoughts on this?

Reaper comes with a few ways to do this. Two that I have used are:

JS Audio To MIDI Drum Trigger
ReaGate

which you will find in the FX Browser.

I use this mainly with the MT Power Drum Kit VSTi but you can use it with any drum sampler.

I’ve got as far as ReaGate and also used that JSaudio too BUT how do I get either of them to talk to a VSTi?
How do I get them to sound like drums, please?
merseymale
Poster

Post by James Perrett »

Here's a Reaper FX chain with a gate (to only allow wanted sounds through) and an Audio to MIDI trigger set up to trigger a snare in MT Power Drumkit.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/17F_Lfz ... sp=sharing

Change the note number in the Audio to MIDI trigger to change the drum sound. You may also need to adjust the filtering on the gate to match the sound that you are using for a trigger. You'll need a copy of MT Power Drumkit from

https://www.powerdrumkit.com/

if you want to use this exact chain but you can substitute whatever drum VSTi you have and it should work in exactly the same way.
James Perrett
Posts: 14377 Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Post by merseymale »

James Perrett wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 1:32 am Here's a Reaper FX chain with a gate (to only allow wanted sounds through) and an Audio to MIDI trigger set up to trigger a snare in MT Power Drumkit.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/17F_Lfz ... sp=sharing

Change the note number in the Audio to MIDI trigger to change the drum sound. You may also need to adjust the filtering on the gate to match the sound that you are using for a trigger. You'll need a copy of MT Power Drumkit from

https://www.powerdrumkit.com/

if you want to use this exact chain but you can substitute whatever drum VSTi you have and it should work in exactly the same way.

Thanks SO Much for this but I dont seem to be able to find out how to open the file youve provided in Reaper..?
merseymale
Poster

Post by James Perrett »

merseymale wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:46 pm Thanks SO Much for this but I dont seem to be able to find out how to open the file youve provided in Reaper..?

You need to download the file and put it in

C:\Users\User\AppData\Roaming\REAPER\FXChains

assuming that you are on Windows.
James Perrett

Post by merseymale »

James Perrett wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:55 pm
merseymale wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:46 pm Thanks SO Much for this but I dont seem to be able to find out how to open the file youve provided in Reaper..?

R I G H T… okay,Well I started trying to find ways of doing it before seeing what you’ve written here, sorry and I just ‘cut-and-pasted’ the chain onto an empty track of reaper & that seemed to work okay but should I try it your way 1st as I don’t seem to be able to make it any track are use this effects chain on to work on anything but snares (for example there is no way I can do the kick drum it seems…?)
merseymale
Poster

Post by merseymale »

James Perrett wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:55 pm

… Correction:
That particular path you mention doesn’t exist on my windows, I’m afraid
merseymale
Poster

Post by BWC »

C:\Users\<your username>\AppData\Roaming\REAPER\FXChains
BWC
Frequent Poster
Posts: 512 Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:12 am Location: FL, US
BWC

Post by merseymale »

BWC wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:07 am C:\Users\<your username>\AppData\Roaming\REAPER\FXChains

Yup -No Luck, that route BUT just draggin’ it over to the track & dropping it there seems to work OK in that I can SEE the ‘snare’ on the GUI ‘impacting’ but NO drum audio just the clunks & clicks from the Piezo Trigger… :cry:

I feel I’m REALLY close to having the IDEAL setup for me but still not quite…

I’ve got as far as being able to trigger the free kick drum sample/power drums VSTi But it’s hardly as realistic as what I was able to do with my convoluted set up that I mentioned in my original posts!
Is it just a case of trying to find some kind of “Konyakt player“ VSTi And then finding (making?) Several velocities of kick drum and loading that in? :crazy:

Any Other Thoughts Anyone?
Thanks
merseymale
Poster

Post by merseymale »

I'd be interested in hearing an example of one of these patterns if you could upload it to Soundcloud or somewhere, but no worries if not.

…& I’d be happy to upload examples too IF I can EVER get this SetUp working :lol: but, alas, I’m still not getting anything remotely as workable or possible as my original set up I mentioned in the beginning posts and they’re just so annoying and fiddly to work through… :headbang:
merseymale
Poster

Post by merseymale »

B U M P...?
merseymale
Poster

Post by merseymale »

B U M P!!

Happy New Year everyone
My 2022 resolution is to get this working…

I’m willing to pay for info!!

I’m clutching at straws here…
merseymale
Poster

Post by merseymale »

….hang on!

I think THIS:

https://youtu.be/dewRGDerCXY

Could Well be IT!!?
merseymale
Poster

Post by Drew Stephenson »

Yep, that's how you do drum replacement. It's worth noting that in the example shown he's actually still got the audio from the bass going to the new track as well as the midi - depending on what you're using to generate the midi note that may or may not contribute to the sound. You can easily turn that off in the routing panel so that it just sends the midi trigger though if you want.
The other thing to note is that you're just getting a midi trigger there, so every note will be at the same strength.
Drew Stephenson
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 24639 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by merseymale »

Ah…right…

That’s a bit of a pity

I foolishly believed what people said when they told me to stop messing around with hardware and do it all in the computer

I figured there would be a learning curve but I sold my hardware; bought the computer; g paid for software And I’ve never been able to make a decent drum track with a band playing along since!

Thank you so much for replying, especially after such a long time this post has been dormant but if you can help in anyway I would surely appreciated it
merseymale
Poster

Reaper has another audio to midi option that, i think, allows for more than just a trigger signal.
I should get chance to have a look tomorrow.
So the process would be the same as in the video but using a different plugin instead of ReaGate.
Drew Stephenson
Forum Aficionado

Post by James Perrett »

merseymale wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 9:59 pm ….hang on!

I think THIS:

Could Well be IT!!?

As with most audio tutorials on Youtube, it doesn't necessarily describe the best way to do things. If you look in the JS effects you will see the JS Audio To MIDI Drum Trigger which gives you much more control over the triggering and also converts loudness to velocity.
KickTriggerSettings.jpg
These are the settings that I've used on one of my projects.
James Perrett

Post by merseymale »

blinddrew wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 11:23 pm Reaper has another audio to midi option that, i think, allows for more than just a trigger signal.
I should get chance to have a look tomorrow.
So the process would be the same as in the video but using a different plugin instead of ReaGate.

That would be great if you find a time to do that, I’d appreciate it. Thanks
merseymale
Poster

Post by merseymale »

James Perrett wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:20 am
merseymale wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 9:59 pm ….hang on!

I think THIS:

Could Well be IT!!?

As with most audio tutorials on Youtube, it doesn't necessarily describe the best way to do things. If you look in the JS effects you will see the JS Audio To MIDI Drum Trigger which gives you much more control over the triggering and also converts loudness to velocity.
KickTriggerSettings.jpg

These are the settings that I've used on one of my projects.

Ah…okay, so… i’m assuming that’s a thing for converting audio into midi data?

That’s quite a cool process!

That could well be of help, thank you, but what do I do with this new midi information?
I mean, how will I get that midi information to “fire off“ selections of multiple samples of, say, a bass drum based on how hard it would’ve been hit hadn’t been’ really there’ as opposed to ‘virtually’, please?
merseymale
Poster

James has covered what I was going to look at in his post.

I've lost track of what's going on a bit here I'm afraid though.
Am I right in thinking that you have a recorded drum part that you're looking to replace some (all?) the parts of?
Do currently have a virtual drum tool like EZ drummer or are you working from individual samples?
Drew Stephenson
Forum Aficionado

Post by James Perrett »

The next plug-in in the chain would be some kind of virtual instrument that produced the drum sound that you wanted. There's a huge choice. You could sample your own sounds and put them in ReasamplOmatic 5000 or you could use one of the hundreds of virtual drum plug-ins that are around. If you had a MIDI interface you could trigger your Alesis drum unit that you mentioned in your first post.

I often go to MT-Power Drum Kit which is free and offers reasonably good basic sounds if you are working in a rock genre. I also have a selection of my own sounds built up over the years.
James Perrett