The ‘RIGHT way’ to record Drum(samples!)?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: The ‘RIGHT way’ to record Drum(samples!)?

Post by BJG145 »

James Perrett wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:42 amWith a good USB cable you should be able to have a length of 10 metres and even further with active extenders.

...on a slightly different subject, I was thinking about powerline networking and wondering if it was possible to rig up some kind of "MIDI over mains", or even audio over mains. I don't think the OP is going this route, I was just wondering.

*edit*

...actually, running MIDI over mains in this way is described here.

RTP-MIDI will also run over an Ethernet network using HomePlug adaptors! HomePlug adapters are amazing things that enable you to run Ethernet through the walls of your building using the mains cable and sockets, already installed in your home. Plug the adaptors straight into your power sockets, plug an Ethernet cable into each one and you instantly have Ethernet MIDI running between them.

BJG145
Jedi Poster

Post by merseymale »

BJG145 wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:01 am
merseymale wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:42 amI would still have to say that synchronising MIDI recorded on one device with the audio recorded on another, Both during the same performance, would be a bit of a headache, perhaps

It isn't really. People do it all the time.

Recording MIDI is no different from recording audio. Get a click or a backing track going, four clicks in, and you're away.

But naturally it's entirely up to you what system best fits your workflow. :thumbup:

To give you a better idea what this looks like, the MIDI drum hits would appear visually in the Reaper track, so you can line them up with the audio hits.

Perhaps I've misunderstood how you're working, however. Are you recording a full kit with cymbals and then just wanting to embellish kick/snare by layering samples over them...? Is it set up with multiple mics...? (Naturally you wouldn't be able to completely remove the recorded sounds from the mix, but you could bolster them.)

Working with recorded triggers or drum replacement might be the simplest answer for you; again, it depends partly on the complexity of the patterns. Fine for simple stuff, though direct MIDI recording will be more accurate for complicated stuff.

I'd be interested in hearing an example of one of these patterns if you could upload it to Soundcloud or somewhere, but no worries if not.

1)if you say so!

2) :think::thumbup:

3) i’m recording Both acoustic and non-acoustic Drumz/Cymbals at the same time

4) i’ve got as far as using the reatune on click/pulses But that’s as far as I’ve got…
merseymale
Regular

Post by merseymale »

James Perrett wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:42 am At the risk of confusing things even further...

If you are going to find a way of feeding a MIDI cable to the computer then why not feed a USB cable at the same time? With a USB connection you could use your L20 as an audio interface and record both audio and MIDI directly to Reaper at the same time. With a good USB cable you should be able to have a length of 10 metres and even further with active extenders.

I’ve tried every which way to use the L 20 as an audio interface or even a control surface as well but still no dice… :frown:
merseymale
Regular

Post by merseymale »

BJG145 wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:24 pm
James Perrett wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:42 amWith a good USB cable you should be able to have a length of 10 metres and even further with active extenders.

...on a slightly different subject, I was thinking about powerline networking and wondering if it was possible to rig up some kind of "MIDI over mains", or even audio over mains. I don't think the OP is going this route, I was just wondering.

*edit*

...actually, running MIDI over mains in this way is described here.

RTP-MIDI will also run over an Ethernet network using HomePlug adaptors! HomePlug adapters are amazing things that enable you to run Ethernet through the walls of your building using the mains cable and sockets, already installed in your home. Plug the adaptors straight into your power sockets, plug an Ethernet cable into each one and you instantly have Ethernet MIDI running between them.

I’m getting a bit TOO lost?! :headbang:
merseymale
Regular

Post by merseymale »

James Perrett wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:40 pm
merseymale wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:51 pm How would I get a drum replacer app and how to put it into reaper?…Any thoughts on this?

Reaper comes with a few ways to do this. Two that I have used are:

JS Audio To MIDI Drum Trigger
ReaGate

which you will find in the FX Browser.

I use this mainly with the MT Power Drum Kit VSTi but you can use it with any drum sampler.

I’ve got as far as ReaGate and also used that JSaudio too BUT how do I get either of them to talk to a VSTi?
How do I get them to sound like drums, please?
merseymale
Regular

Post by James Perrett »

Here's a Reaper FX chain with a gate (to only allow wanted sounds through) and an Audio to MIDI trigger set up to trigger a snare in MT Power Drumkit.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/17F_Lfz ... sp=sharing

Change the note number in the Audio to MIDI trigger to change the drum sound. You may also need to adjust the filtering on the gate to match the sound that you are using for a trigger. You'll need a copy of MT Power Drumkit from

https://www.powerdrumkit.com/

if you want to use this exact chain but you can substitute whatever drum VSTi you have and it should work in exactly the same way.
James Perrett
Posts: 11392 Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Post by merseymale »

James Perrett wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 1:32 am Here's a Reaper FX chain with a gate (to only allow wanted sounds through) and an Audio to MIDI trigger set up to trigger a snare in MT Power Drumkit.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/17F_Lfz ... sp=sharing

Change the note number in the Audio to MIDI trigger to change the drum sound. You may also need to adjust the filtering on the gate to match the sound that you are using for a trigger. You'll need a copy of MT Power Drumkit from

https://www.powerdrumkit.com/

if you want to use this exact chain but you can substitute whatever drum VSTi you have and it should work in exactly the same way.

Thanks SO Much for this but I dont seem to be able to find out how to open the file youve provided in Reaper..?
merseymale
Regular

Post by James Perrett »

merseymale wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:46 pm Thanks SO Much for this but I dont seem to be able to find out how to open the file youve provided in Reaper..?

You need to download the file and put it in

C:\Users\User\AppData\Roaming\REAPER\FXChains

assuming that you are on Windows.
James Perrett
Posts: 11392 Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Post by merseymale »

James Perrett wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:55 pm
merseymale wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:46 pm Thanks SO Much for this but I dont seem to be able to find out how to open the file youve provided in Reaper..?

R I G H T… okay,Well I started trying to find ways of doing it before seeing what you’ve written here, sorry and I just ‘cut-and-pasted’ the chain onto an empty track of reaper & that seemed to work okay but should I try it your way 1st as I don’t seem to be able to make it any track are use this effects chain on to work on anything but snares (for example there is no way I can do the kick drum it seems…?)
merseymale
Regular

Post by merseymale »

James Perrett wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:55 pm

… Correction:
That particular path you mention doesn’t exist on my windows, I’m afraid
merseymale
Regular

Post by BWC »

C:\Users\<your username>\AppData\Roaming\REAPER\FXChains
BWC
Regular
Posts: 164 Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:12 am Location: Florida, US
BWC

Post by merseymale »

BWC wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:07 am C:\Users\<your username>\AppData\Roaming\REAPER\FXChains

Yup -No Luck, that route BUT just draggin’ it over to the track & dropping it there seems to work OK in that I can SEE the ‘snare’ on the GUI ‘impacting’ but NO drum audio just the clunks & clicks from the Piezo Trigger… :cry:

I feel I’m REALLY close to having the IDEAL setup for me but still not quite…

I’ve got as far as being able to trigger the free kick drum sample/power drums VSTi But it’s hardly as realistic as what I was able to do with my convoluted set up that I mentioned in my original posts!
Is it just a case of trying to find some kind of “Konyakt player“ VSTi And then finding (making?) Several velocities of kick drum and loading that in? :crazy:

Any Other Thoughts Anyone?
Thanks
merseymale
Regular