Korg Nu:Tekt NTS-1 as hardware FX unit?

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Korg Nu:Tekt NTS-1 as hardware FX unit?

Post by Ben Asaro »

BillB wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:26 pm It was fun to rig up the pedals and NTS-1 in series and go for a Ben Asaro ‘too much is not enough’ effect - it did result in massive ambience that had a character that no one unit could generate on its own.

Hey, I resemble that remark! :D

Great PS on this whole thread, very interesting, indeed!
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2357 Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:00 am Location: NYC

Post by BillB »

Just thought I would report back. I did set up a Novation Remote Zero with the control CCs and it does make editing the FX very easy - although the only ‘shift’ function on the unit (for FX) is the 100% wet/dry balance achieved by holding down the Delay or Reverb button and turning the depth (knob 3) - so not difficult, even without a MIDI controller.

I compared the NTS-1 reverb (briefly) to a Bluesky pedal and a Lexicon Reflex, all plumbed into a little Mackie mixer. The NTS-1 holds up very well indeed, particularly for ‘modern ambient’ sounds that are a bit unreal and a bit grainy - not in a bad way, it’s just the character of the thing. Actually the built-in reverbs (Hall, plate) are pretty smooth, but don’t have long tails. I am loving the HammondEggs options. As I have now bought another NTS-1 to serve another keyboard sub-mixer, I owe HammondEggs a donation. Their add-ons really expand the NTS-1 FX palette.

I noticed that, with *very* sharp attack resonant sounds, it was possible to hear a rapidly repeating element to the sound of the HE reverbs - almost like a very fast mandolin pick effect. However, with anything other than very sharp attacks, all the HE models sound smooth. Maybe not quite so smooth and dense as the Bluesky or the Reflex, but really nice in its own way.

In summary, definitely something to look at if you were thinking about a reverb or multi-fx pedal in that price range, and don’t need it to be ‘stomp-able’.
BillB
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1903 Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2003 12:00 am Location: East Yorkshire

Post by Ben Asaro »

Sounds like a successful round of experimentation! Thanks for following up!
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2357 Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:00 am Location: NYC