Prophet Ten has crashed my studio.

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Moderator: Moderators

Prophet Ten has crashed my studio.

Post by Arpangel »

Yes, just ordered one, can’t do without it, I’m taking it to London, Memory Toy, handy recorder, the next "one synth" album.
These synths, the 5 and the 10, are difficult to explain, they are just perfect for me, I feel great playing them, it’s like your favourite car, feels comfortable, and everything is in the right place, falls to hand in a nanosecond, and above all, just sounds how I want it to, extremely expressive, beyond, just beyond.
Track 1, this track of mine was done with an original Pro 5 Rev 3, hired for the session, it’s still one of my favourite tracks done with a 5.

https://soniashore.bandcamp.com/album/ ... -the-world
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Re: Prophet Ten has crashed my studio.

Post by Ben Asaro »

Enjoy! Keyboard synths are wasted on me ...
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2365 Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:00 am Location: NYC

Post by Drew Stephenson »

I thought this was going to be another electrical/earthing fault thread... ;)
Drew Stephenson
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 24639 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by Arpangel »

blinddrew wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 8:53 pm I thought this was going to be another electrical/earthing fault thread... ;)

This Prophet won’t be going in the basement.
I’ll be playing in bed, in London, on one of those old people’s food trays, the ones that straddle a bed.
I can probably get the same emotions out of my free Synth One, but I want that cabinet, those knobs, and I have a bite of spare cash, so I’m having it.
Terrible, but true.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Martin Walker »

Enjoy, Tony! 8-)

As you may recall, I have a Prophet 12, which has already provided many, many hours of rewarding sounds. The real wood in the cabinet and those knobs are indeed things of beauty.

Martin
Martin Walker
Posts: 20639 Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:44 am Location: Cornwall, UK

Post by BillB »

I’m sure you will find it lovely and inspiring in equal measure. It needs to be, for the price, but if you can afford it, there is nothing wrong with buying a work of art.

Point of technical detail. Is this a 10-voice Prophet 5, rather than the dual manual / dual synth of the original Prophet 10?
BillB
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1915 Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2003 12:00 am Location: East Yorkshire

Post by Martin Walker »

BillB wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:41 pm Point of technical detail. Is this a 10-voice Prophet 5, rather than the dual manual / dual synth of the original Prophet 10?

I'd be really surprised if it were the latter Bill - those elderly dual manual Prophet 10's were notorious for overheating ;)

Martin
Martin Walker
Posts: 20639 Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:44 am Location: Cornwall, UK

Post by resistorman »

Martin Walker wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:32 am
BillB wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:41 pm Point of technical detail. Is this a 10-voice Prophet 5, rather than the dual manual / dual synth of the original Prophet 10?

I'd be really surprised if it were the latter Bill - those elderly dual manual Prophet 10's were notorious for overheating ;)

Martin

Plus it won't fit!

Arpangel wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:34 pm on one of those old people’s food trays, the ones that straddle a bed.

resistorman
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2693 Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:00 am Location: Asheville NC
"The Best" piece of gear is subjective.

Post by BillB »

The new Prophet 10 has as many voices as the old one, and if I understand correctly, modern circuitry generates less heat than equivalents from the 80's. So overheating should not be an issue?

From the pics of the new one, it is obviously not dual-manual, just wondered about sonic capabilities e.g. split /layer bi-timbral. But no reference to that in the Sequential description.

So I guess the idea was just to create a Prophet 5 that goes up to 10, with all the loveliness that entails :D
BillB
Frequent Poster

Post by Arpangel »

It’s not an original Prophet 10, even I’m not that crazy.
They are very rare too.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by BillB »

BillB wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:03 am The new Prophet 10 has as many voices as the old one, and if I understand correctly, modern circuitry generates less heat than equivalents from the 80's. So overheating should not be an issue?

From the pics of the new one, it is obviously not dual-manual, just wondered about sonic capabilities e.g. split /layer bi-timbral. But no reference to that in the Sequential description.

So I guess the idea was just to create a Prophet 5 that goes up to 10, with all the loveliness that entails :D

Well, this answers that question:
https://www.sequential.com/2021/09/prop ... nd-new-os/

So the Prophet 10 is no longer just a 10-voice Prophet 5, it's a 'proper' Prophet 10 - without a dual-manual keyboard.
BillB
Frequent Poster

Post by Arpangel »

BillB wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:16 pm
BillB wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:03 am The new Prophet 10 has as many voices as the old one, and if I understand correctly, modern circuitry generates less heat than equivalents from the 80's. So overheating should not be an issue?

Well, this answers that question:
https://www.sequential.com/2021/09/prop ... nd-new-os/

So the Prophet 10 is no longer just a 10-voice Prophet 5, it's a 'proper' Prophet 10 - without a dual-manual keyboard.

I can remember, some time in the late 80’s, seeing a Prophet 10 propped up against the wall in the Record And Tape Exchange in Notting Hill Gate, it was £200.
There was an Eventide H910 there for £150, and a Sequential Pro 1 for £100.
Those were the days.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Stephen Bennett »

You can now update the 5 to a 10! https://www.sequential.com/2021/09/prop ... nd-new-os/

Personally, I just use my other Prophet 5 for the left hand bits.

Stephen
Stephen Bennett
Regular
Posts: 363 Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2002 12:00 am Location: England
New: Galasphere 347 album 'Eponymous' Feat: Stephen Bennett, Ketil Vestrum Einarsen, Jacob Holm-Lupo, and Mattias Olsson

Post by Arpangel »

Prophet 5 was a good name, a name can make a synth, I don’t like the Take 5, very naff, I’m inventing the next Sequential synth right now, it’s going to be the Sequential Spectre, let’s put the name before the synth.

SEQUENTIAL SPECTRE

Looks great, sounds great, and leaves open lots of room for sonic exploration.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by John Stafford »

Arpangel wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 7:40 pm
Track 1, this track of mine was done with an original Pro 5 Rev 3, hired for the session, it’s still one of my favourite tracks done with a 5.

This track is wonderful. :clap:
John Stafford
Regular
Posts: 156 Joined: Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:51 am Location: Ireland

Post by Arpangel »

John Stafford wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:55 am

Thanks John, you know when you listen to something you’ve done and you think "who’s that?…….not bad" that’s me every time, it has to be a good sign of something!
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by John Stafford »

Now you have me lusting after a Prophet 5! 😀
John Stafford
Regular

Post by Eddy Deegan »

John Stafford wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:55 am

I've had the album for months, if not a year or more; the whole thing is a great listen :thumbup:
Eddy Deegan
Posts: 8845 Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:00 am Location: Brighton & Hove, UK
Some of my works | The SOS Forum Album projects  

Post by Arpangel »

John Stafford wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:05 pm Now you have me lusting after a Prophet 5! 😀

I can tell you exactly how that track was done, Pro 5, Bel BD80s, Hill 22-8-2 desk, with a Lexicon LXP1 reverb, I was recording a guitarist, and did this when he had a tea break.
The rest of the tracks were all entirely different, different equipment, but all in chronological order, all done in one take, improvisations.
I drew the album cover, while I was selling clothes in Camden market, to pass the time.
The Prophet 5? yes, fantastic, you don’t really need a 10, the 5 is fine, the modulation section is where it’s at, it’s so immediate, and easy to use, and can get really "WTF" interesting at the drop of a hat.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by John Stafford »

Thanks for that info. I love reading about how tracks were made.

I never associated the Prophet with that kind of sound. I don't know why.
John Stafford
Regular