Tsumara JD21 restoration

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Moderator: Moderators

Tsumara JD21 restoration

Post by BJG145 »

To the untrained eye, it would appear to be a small storage room filled with junk. But to me, it’s MOMI, the Museum of MIDI Instruments. And I just collected another exhibit. :D

Back in 1989, a Japanese company called Tsumara created the JD21, a kind of percussion keytar.

They rarely surface, although there’s currently one in the US on Reverb.

The only performance I’ve been able to track down on YouTube is the timeless ballad Rendevous 60 Microns by Seikima-II.

It’s been compared to the Zendrum.

I’m not sure if they share any DNA; the Zendrum was originally developed from Futureman’s Drumitar, a customised SynthAxe…

…but they’re both based around a set of velocity-sensitive pads.

The Japanese manual is available here via Wayback.

I recently came across one on eBay listed by a company called Funky Junk who have apparently had it knocking around for ages. It’s rumoured that it might have been used or owned by Calvin Harris, though I’m not concerned about superstar DJs. After a bit of haggling, we agreed on a fair price.

It clearly didn’t have an easy life with Calvin, who seems to have treated it with the same care that Rory Gallagher showed towards his Strat.

The missing keycaps shouldn’t be too much of a problem though. The tricky bit is the missing “buffer box”.

The JD21 connects to this via a two-core cable, and it provide power in and MIDI out. I was bit surprised at this, phantom power and data over a two-core cable, but a bit of Googling indicates some ways to implement it.

Unfortunately, as you can imagine, the internal workings of the buffer box are not well documented. I asked the guy on Reverb if he’d mind opening his one up to take a look, but it might be a sealed unit; still waiting to hear about that.

This mising link puts it in the same bracket as a couple of my earlier MIDI repair projects; the Morrison Digital Trumpet and the Jamma (another percussion keytar). With the first of these, I was able to track down a spare circuit for the interface box, but that’s not going to happen here. With the second, I rebuilt it with Arduino. Although that was interesting and educational, I’m not that great at electronics, and it was quite a messy rebuild. I must revisit it sometime and tidy it up a bit. The functionality is OK except that I wasn’t able to get useful velocity readings off the piezos yet, so it only plays at one level.

I’m guessing that the JD21 is also based on piezo keys, and programming an Arduino for a whole load of them could be tricky. I’d prefer to try and create a new buffer box if possible, but I don’t know how complex the circuit is or whether it will be possible to reverse-engineer it from the JD21 alone without having an example interface to look at. When it turns up, I’ll pull it open and let the SOS electronics vultures offer their opinion…
BJG145
Longtime Poster

Re: Tsumara JD21 restoration

Post by Martin Walker »

You're a brave man Ben - always up for a challenge! :clap:

Good luck investigating the buffer box!

Let's hope it's not encapsulated in black resin to keep the inner workings secret ;)

Martin
Martin Walker
Posts: 20640 Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:44 am Location: Cornwall, UK

Post by BJG145 »

It's been a good week. Just got back from a holiday in St Ives (what a great county you live in Martin), had a job offer while I was there (in Norfolk, not Cornwall sadly), and return to find my JD21 has arrived.

It's huge!

BJG145
Longtime Poster

Post by Drew Stephenson »

Good luck with the new job and the Tsumara!
Drew Stephenson
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 24649 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by BJG145 »

According to the manual, the keys have velocity and aftertouch.

I pulled it open this afternoon; the mechanism looks quite strange.

The buttons seem to sit on a couple of springs with very short travel. I can't see how it works. I think I'm going to send it to my friend Mr Dingley (Digigurdy, Airpiano) and see what he makes of it.
BJG145
Longtime Poster

Post by Folderol »

Are the 'pads' they mate with possibly piezoelectric? So varying pressure via the springs would quite well controlled.
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Posts: 18220 Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:00 am Location: The Mudway Towns, UK
Yes. I am that Linux nut {apparently now an 'elderly'}
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Post by BJG145 »

...I wondered about that. Dr Dingley also suggested that velocity could be calculated from timing if the contacts were made one after the other. Perhaps the springs are fractionally different lengths. Perhaps it's both. He's agreed to check it out if I mail it.
BJG145
Longtime Poster

Post by James Perrett »

It would be interesting to see the other side of the board in detail. Looks like there could be a processor chip and a couple of memory chips. If one of those memory chips is an EPROM then there's some hope that its contents could be decoded and reverse engineered.
James Perrett
Posts: 14379 Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Post by BJG145 »

James Perrett wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:08 pm It would be interesting to see the other side of the board in detail.

I've sent it off to John Dingley now. I should have taken some pics really; I was tempted to investigate how it worked. But I ended up pretty much destroying the Jamma with my DIY rebuild, and I felt this deserved better treatment. It looked quite elegant propped up against the wall - I've never seen another blue one - so I've passed it to someone who can do the job properly. I'm looking forward to seeing what he makes of it.

Another pic from the Tsumura JD21 gallery...and that's about it.

BJG145
Longtime Poster

Post by BJG145 »

...yes, so, this fellow John Dingley is the inventor of the DigiGurdy and knows his way round a Teensy.

He agreed that the way the buttons work is pretty weird, and we've agreed to just replace them with arcade-style buttons. He's ordered a bunch from China.

The DigiGurdy also has 24 note buttons so the electronics should be a good fit.

(Apparently the solder pads aren't likely to contain a piezo, and the pressure from the springs is very light so it's probably a simple non-wired contact for ease of assembly. I'm wondering if the button caps, which are quite thin and flexible, might contain a piezo instead, but there are several missing and it's too much fuss. I may investigate later.)
BJG145
Longtime Poster

Post by BJG145 »

The replacement buttons have arrived. JD sent some pics of work in progress...

BJG145
Longtime Poster

Post by Martin Walker »

Looking good! 8-)

Martin
Martin Walker
Posts: 20640 Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:44 am Location: Cornwall, UK

Post by resistorman »

Neato!
resistorman
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2693 Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:00 am Location: Asheville NC
"The Best" piece of gear is subjective.

Post by Wonks »

Pretty soon you'll be able to mass-manufacture your own reliable version.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 17022 Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am Location: Reading, UK
Reliably fallible.

Post by BJG145 »

I've found my niche, which is asking someone else to rebuild these gadgets rather than trying to do it myself. I can just dream up a fingering chart and a few extra functions and send off an email. Bliss. :D

I've requested this as the default layout, chromatic over two octaves. I think that'll fall under the fingers OK.

(By the time the manual has been fed through Wayback and Google Translate, it's difficult to find out what the original settings were.)
BJG145
Longtime Poster

Post by BJG145 »

Wiring the new buttons (and the old pitchbend/modwheel)...

BJG145
Longtime Poster

Post by Folderol »

Some very pretty soldering there. Well done!
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Posts: 18220 Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:00 am Location: The Mudway Towns, UK
Yes. I am that Linux nut {apparently now an 'elderly'}
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Post by BJG145 »

(I can't take the credit; an acquaintance is working on it for me...!)
BJG145
Longtime Poster

Post by The Elf »

It interests me to know how the microprocessor is being made to handle that number of inputs - I've never figured that part out!
The Elf
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 20053 Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Post by BJG145 »

The Elf wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:42 am It interests me to know how the microprocessor is being made to handle that number of inputs

I'm not sure how this one has been done (I'll ask), though people often use a "button matrix".

https://www.embeddedrelated.com/showarticle/519.php
https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/bu ... -guide/all

This has come together faster than I expected. It's already playable (USB MIDI) together with display and pitchbend.

BJG145
Longtime Poster