Imitating the Final Frontier preset on Valhalla Supermassive ... using hardware

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Imitating the Final Frontier preset on Valhalla Supermassive ... using hardware

Post by Arpangel »

BillB wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:38 pm Vibrato - Pitch modulation
Tremolo - Amplitude modulation

This has never been helped, by guitar people saying "tremolo arm" as it should be called a vibrato arm.

:-|
Arpangel
Jedi Poster
"Don’t let the noise of other peoples opinions drown your inner voice"

Re: Imitating the Final Frontier preset on Valhalla Supermassive ... using hardware

Post by blinddrew »

Arpangel wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:14 am

This has never been helped, by guitar people saying "tremolo arm" as it should be called a vibrato arm.

Yeah, but having taught guitarists one three-syllable word it was always going to be a challenge to get them to learn another one. ;)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Posts: 16518 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Post by Arpangel »

blinddrew wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:11 am
Arpangel wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:14 am

Yeah, but having taught guitarists one three-syllable word it was always going to be a challenge to get them to learn another one. ;)

Uh-Oh!
Unlike drummers, at least they can hear you.

:D:silent:
Arpangel
Jedi Poster
"Don’t let the noise of other peoples opinions drown your inner voice"

Post by Ben Asaro »

Update: One of the things I love about challenges like this is finding out where I end up. After a lot of tweaking since my last post I’ve ended up with something that, while nothing like the Supermassive, is amazing in its own right. Having the luxury of playing a sequence over the course of days and make very small adjustments to parameters led me down a deep rabbit hole of exploration.

Where I ended was here: Space Echo: gone. The sound is absolutely amazing, but it’s just too noisy for its own good in this context. RV-500: returned. I lowered the Wobble on the DECO and with the Mother-32 playing a bass patch, the tone is AMAZING with the DECO applying chorus.

Final signal flow is basically the same: RV-500 > MIMIQ > DECO > Blackhole.

The sound is spacious and deep with a lot of modulation, love it!
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1833 Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:00 am Location: NYC

Post by BillB »

Sounds great, Ben, I’m happy that you have got something enjoyable out of it, even if it is not what you were originally going for. Just goes to prove that, as long as the experiment is well-conducted, there is no such thing as a ‘failed experiment’, there are just results that may not be what you expected or hoped for.
:thumbup:

I finally got my Korg NTS-1, second-hand bargain. I am slightly underwhelmed with the factory reverbs. They are good, but not great. But I just downloaded the HammondEggs ‘Cathedral’ etc reverbs and they sound great on the mini-speaker (“This one goes from very long to infinite”). Will hopefully rig up in the studio tonight/tomorrow and will report back via the ‘NTS-1 as hardware FX’ thread.
BillB
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1404 Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2003 12:00 am Location: East Yorkshire

Post by Ben Asaro »

Looking forward to hearing it!

Here's the final version of my effects chain in context. Rough mix/unfinished music caveats apply, https://soundcloud.com/asfollowswriting ... art1-rough
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Post by Martin Walker »

Lovin' it Ben! 8-)

And for those who (like me) are not familiar with these effects, here are some photos of them in all their glory:

Martin
Martin Walker
Posts: 18310 Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:44 am Location: Cornwall, UK

Post by BillB »

Nice one, Ben, I enjoyed that. Very atmospheric and moody.

Was the RV-500 on a reverb setting?
BillB
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1404 Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2003 12:00 am Location: East Yorkshire

Post by Ben Asaro »

BillB wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:33 pm Nice one, Ben, I enjoyed that. Very atmospheric and moody.

Was the RV-500 on a reverb setting?

I have reverbs within reverbs lol. Here's the setup:

The RV-500 is in Dual Mode. The A algorithm is a room reverb and dotted 8th delay. The B algorithm is a dual reverb of room and plate as well as a quarter note delay.

From there it goes into the MIMIQ and gets doubled.

After the MIMIQ is the DECO for tape saturation and chorus.

Finally is the Blackhole.
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster