Upgrading my VO Setup

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Upgrading my VO Setup

Post by skyace888 »

skyace888
Poster

Post by Ariosto »

I thought both these recordings to be good and found no problem with them. The Manley recording was a little more "in your face" but not exceptionally so. Maybe it had a bit more bass timbre, or you were closer to the mic. I certainly found both recordings to be of a professional quality and a hell of a lot better than some of the examples one can hear on radio and TV (In the UK that is ...).
Ariosto
Frequent Poster
Posts: 920 Joined: Sun May 04, 2008 12:00 am Location: LONDON, UK

Post by skyace888 »

Thanks Ariosto for your feedback! Hope to test a few more microphones and then make a decision shortly.
skyace888
Poster

Post by Tomás Mulcahy »

Agree with Ariosto. Both are fine recordings fit for production. There is a slight "hardness" that sounds to me like it's caused by a resonance in the mic stand or maybe a local reflection, such as from that corner.
Tomás Mulcahy
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2562 Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2001 12:00 am Location: Cork, Ireland.

Post by James Perrett »

Both sounded good but the Manley had (to my ears) a slightly exaggerated top end that initially sounds impressive but can be more wearing over time as it is can be down to a capsule resonance rather than a characteristic of the mic electronics.

Out of those two I'd save your money and go with the Neumann.

One other thing I noticed was the occasional popping 'P'. The best way to overcome this is to position the mic to one side or above your mouth so that your breath isn't going straight towards the mic.
James Perrett
Posts: 14353 Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Post by skyace888 »

Thanks guys. Yes I'll need to work more with the positioning of the mic. I was using a small, unstable mic stand for these tests.
skyace888
Poster

Post by Ariosto »

Tomás Mulcahy wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:12 pm Agree with Ariosto. Both are fine recordings fit for production. There is a slight "hardness" that sounds to me like it's caused by a resonance in the mic stand or maybe a local reflection, such as from that corner.

Yes, I agree totally. Also I think I would go with Jame's suggestion that the Neumann mic is fine and that the Manley could be a bit tiring over time, and of course it would be cheaper, always a good thing.

P S On listening again I actually prefer the Neumann mic as I think there is a slight edginess with the Manley. The Neumann seems smoother to my ear.
Ariosto
Frequent Poster
Posts: 920 Joined: Sun May 04, 2008 12:00 am Location: LONDON, UK

Post by The Red Bladder »

James Perrett wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:32 pm Out of those two I'd save your money and go with the Neumann.

One other thing I noticed was the occasional popping 'P'. The best way to overcome this is to position the mic to one side or above your mouth so that your breath isn't going straight towards the mic.

1. The TLM 103 is my go-to VO mic. Other great VO mics are M149 and U87 - but they can be a bit too 'warm' and they cost real money!

2. Use a pop filter on a gooseneck to avoid popping.

3. The TLM 103 really does need a treated room. In fact, the room will be the most important part of the overall sound.

4. The MKH416 is one of my other go-to mics for VO and not just to match production sound for ADR work. Last VO gig, I mixed the two.
The Red Bladder
Frequent Poster
Posts: 3318 Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:00 am Location: . . .

Post by John Willett »

skyace888 wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 2:04 pm Hi Experts,

I do voiceovers for tech videos (among other things) and am looking to up my game from my present setup. Currently have:

- Yeti Blue USB mic with boom arm and pop filter
- Untreated room/office in below image (carpet floor but computer fan noise and some street noise at times)
[url=https:*?*?*/wcqSvvh]Image[/url]
img upload free
- MixPre 3 II (used for non VO work on location presently)
- SM58 and other dynamic mics

Looking for suggestions on...

- How I might treat the room or if I should move my VO work to my walk-in closet. I am planning on remodeling the computer room anyways shortly.
- Which XLR mic might be most ideal. Top contenders are SM7B, TLM103, MKH416. I’m in South Florida and would love to test/rent these before buying. Plan would be to use the mic with my MixPre (either direct or as an audio interface)

Any other tips or suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

The MKH 416 is mainly for voiceovers for replacement dialogue that was originally made with a 416 or similar.

The TLM 103 is a good VO mic., as is also the U87. But I would also add the Gefell M930 to your list to try as it is superbe on speech and in the same price bracket as the 103 - there are several dealers in the US who may be happy to do a loan.

(Note - I distribute Gefell in the UK but have nothing to do with any sales in the US, or any other country)

Hanging a duvet behind you would improve the acoustics, and maybe also one behind the monitor screens.
John Willett
Longtime Poster
Posts: 7295 Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2000 12:00 am Location: Oxfordshire UK
John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services
Sound-Link are UK Distributors for: Microtech Gefell, ME-Geithain, AETA, HUM, Håkan, Meyer Turtle

Post by skyace888 »

Thanks again everyone. I’ve been doing more research and have plans to test various mics at studios in Denver and at the Sweetwater store in the coming weeks. Here is my latest list:

Austrian Audio OC818
Gefell M930
Warm Audio WA87 R2
TLM103
U87ai
Soyuz 017 FET
Josephson C705
Lauren Audio Atlantis

Thoughts welcomed. I’ve used Audio Test Kitchen which has most of these but no vocal samples. Also tough to tell even with studio monitors.
skyace888
Poster

Post by MOF »

You could have a look at the Sontronics range.
MOF
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2264 Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2003 12:00 am Location: United Kingdom

Post by skyace888 »

Hi All,

I recently had the opportunity to try a bunch of microphones on my list. Here are the sample files. I just normalized the levels in Audition but no other editing. Would greatly appreciate any feedback!

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
skyace888
Poster

Post by Drew Stephenson »

Just had a quick listen and the first thought is that all of them, unsurprisingly, deliver a perfectly useable result. To my ears at any rate.
I think if I had to state a preference I'd maybe nudge to the Soyuz or the U87, they seemed to deliver a brighter sound without overemphasising the esses (which I felt the TLM and OC818 did).
Better people may be along shortly to correct me. ;)
Drew Stephenson
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 24573 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

As Drew says, they are all perfectly usable.

To me, the Gefell M930, Neumann TLM103, and OC818 all have a slightly brighter character which is probably advantageous for a commercial recording, although I dare say they could all be softened a little, if required, by changing the position/angle.

The U87 is a more mid-forward. I didn't like the C705/716 mics -- they seemed a little fierce on that voice.

Without knowing the tonality of the voice in person it's impossible to say which is the most accurate or flattering.
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 38971 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by Drew Stephenson »

Told you! :D
Drew Stephenson
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 24573 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by skyace888 »

Thanks guys for the quick replies.

To confirm, the voice you hear is my voice and I will primarily be using this microphone.

Yes all of these mics are quality. I agree that the Josephson mics don't seem like a good fit (plus for the C705 it wasn't too sensitive so the gain really needed to be cranked up on my recorder). I think I'll rule them out.

The U87ai is a timeless classic but I don't think I can reasonably afford one at this time (even used).

That leaves...

-OC818
-TLM103
-M930
-Soyuz 017

Will research further and maybe get another go to test these at another dealer. I'm sure I can't go wrong with any of them.
skyace888
Poster