Elaboration on workflow alluded to in "1010music Blackbox" article?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Elaboration on workflow alluded to in "1010music Blackbox" article?

Post by Martin Walker »

tea for two wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:18 pm Dear Paul there was a Wily E Peyote studio performance, still one of my favourite Electronica studio performances, i can't seem to locate it anylonger on youtube.

Edit found it

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XQ1D5rqvVLY

Ooh, I'm loving that now as well - thanks for mentioning it tea for two! 8-)

Martin
User avatar
Martin Walker
Moderator
Posts: 18323 Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:44 am Location: Cornwall, UK

Re: Elaboration on workflow alluded to in "1010music Blackbox" article?

Post by Terrible.dee »

I don't get it.

Everyone wants a "DAW'less" set up,

But you are rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic.

There's no difference between the New MPCs, this "Black Box" and a Computer hosted DAW.

The old MPCs were so unique they are a musical instrument on their own, but this new stuff?.....Why bother?

Man up and get a Reel to Reel. That's the only "DAW'less" set-up that matters. Because it SOUNDS BETTER!

All these new "pro audio" products are designed to take advantage of the G.A.S epidemic, nothing more.

Waste of money and time.
Terrible.dee
Regular
Posts: 107 Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:12 pm

Re: Elaboration on workflow alluded to in "1010music Blackbox" article?

Post by blinddrew »

Alternatively there are as many different workflow preferences as there are people and people are free to spend their money however they choose.
;)
User avatar
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Posts: 16545 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Re: Elaboration on workflow alluded to in "1010music Blackbox" article?

Post by Sam Spoons »

Terrible.dee wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:38 am I don't get it.

Everyone wants a "DAW'less" set up,

But you are rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic.

There's no difference between the New MPCs, this "Black Box" and a Computer hosted DAW.

The old MPCs were so unique they are a musical instrument on their own, but this new stuff?.....Why bother?

Man up and get a Reel to Reel. That's the only "DAW'less" set-up that matters. Because it SOUNDS BETTER!

All these new "pro audio" products are designed to take advantage of the G.A.S epidemic, nothing more.

Waste of money and time.

Oh dear :bouncy:
User avatar
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Posts: 16145 Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 12:00 am Location: Manchester UK
Your karma has run over my dogma

Re: Elaboration on workflow alluded to in "1010music Blackbox" article?

Post by Aled Hughes »

Terrible.dee wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:38 am Man up and get a Reel to Reel. That's the only "DAW'less" set-up that matters. Because it SOUNDS BETTER!

No it DOESN’T!

And what’s manliness got to do with it anyway?

Digital’s been de facto for almost as long as tape was by now. Either leave your ego in past and move on, or quit the game, because all this aggressive masculine opinionated posturing is coming over as rather amateurish, pathetic and irrelevant.
Aled Hughes
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1318 Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:00 am Location: Pwllheli, Cymru
www.stiwdiosain.cymru

Re: Elaboration on workflow alluded to in "1010music Blackbox" article?

Post by shufflebeat »

Speak for yourself, Dear, mine is 2" and sounds great.

Say what you like about the Titanic, she went down with tidy deckchairs.
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster
Posts: 6836 Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:00 am Location: Manchester, UK
"Dance, dance. wherever you may be, for I am the Lord of the damp settee..."

Do yourself a favour, wear earplugs at gigs.

Re: Elaboration on workflow alluded to in "1010music Blackbox" article?

Post by Aled Hughes »

shufflebeat wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:22 pm Speak for yourself, Dear, mine is 2" and sounds great.

Mine is also 2" and sounds great, as does the 1/4". But it doesn't sound better.
Aled Hughes
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1318 Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:00 am Location: Pwllheli, Cymru
www.stiwdiosain.cymru

Re: Elaboration on workflow alluded to in "1010music Blackbox" article?

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

Aled Hughes wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:17 am
Terrible.dee wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:38 am Man up and get a Reel to Reel. That's the only "DAW'less" set-up that matters. Because it SOUNDS BETTER!

No it DOESN’T!

I like a chap that knows his own mind! :lol:

'Better' is such a subjective term... Tape certainly has a distinctive character, and that can be appealing in some circumstances. Personally, I was glad to see that back of tape in my professional working career, and digital is, to me, 'better' in every way.

But I do still own and occasionally use two analogue tape machines -- and I enjoy them for the legacy format that they are and the character they exude!

And what’s manliness got to do with it anyway?

Good point...

Digital’s been de facto for almost as long as tape was by now.

That's an interesting thought. Tape became practical in the very late 40s and quickly became the recording and broadcast studio norm in the early 50s. It was considered obsolete in broadcasting by the mid-90s, so that's around 45 years as the mainstream dominant format. It's still around now, of course, but only really in niche studios and silly hi-fi systems.

Digital recording has been around since the 1960s, but only really became a serious recording studio/broadcasting format in the mid-1980s, initially with things like Sony's PCM video recorders, then ADAT and R-DAT and so on, before computer-based technology made all that obsolete. So that's getting on towards 40 years now...

So yes, I think you're right. Digital has been the de facto format now for almost as long as analogue tape was.
User avatar
Hugh Robjohns
Moderator
Posts: 32405 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Re: Elaboration on workflow alluded to in "1010music Blackbox" article?

Post by Aled Hughes »

I was only shouting because they did ;)

I agree with you, I use tape machines (and software emulations), I find them fascinating, I enjoy learning about them and the techniques used. I like the way they sound in many scenarios, and I enjoy the process of using them when the circumstances and budget allow.

But when someone shouts that tape is the only way when most recorded music in history has never touched it, I can't help but fall for the bait!
Aled Hughes
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1318 Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:00 am Location: Pwllheli, Cymru
www.stiwdiosain.cymru

Re: Elaboration on workflow alluded to in "1010music Blackbox" article?

Post by shufflebeat »

Aled Hughes wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:22 pm
But when someone shouts that tape is the only way when most recorded music in history has never touched it...

But there's so,ooo,ooo much of it now that's not really a fair comparison.

Actually, I wonder if we may have hit on a statistical anomaly that might explain the analogue/tape myth. There is so much recorded content around these days and so much of it is, um, not very good that statistically tape sounds better than digital.

I've heard this discussed in different terms, i.e. talent vs access, but the numbers explain the visibility issue.
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster
Posts: 6836 Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:00 am Location: Manchester, UK
"Dance, dance. wherever you may be, for I am the Lord of the damp settee..."

Do yourself a favour, wear earplugs at gigs.

Re: Elaboration on workflow alluded to in "1010music Blackbox" article?

Post by BWC »

shufflebeat wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:00 pm Actually, I wonder if we may have hit on a statistical anomaly that might explain the analogue/tape myth. There is so much recorded content around these days and so much of it is, um, not very good that statistically tape sounds better than digital.

Yep, there's some other typical human silliness driving it as well, but I've lost count of how many times I've seen or heard of someone chasing after the sound of some classic record or another, never realizing, that record sounds like crap, it's the performances that made it great.
BWC
Regular
Posts: 164 Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:12 am Location: Florida, US
BWC

Re: Elaboration on workflow alluded to in "1010music Blackbox" article?

Post by Terrible.dee »

Aled Hughes wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:17 am
Terrible.dee wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:38 am Man up and get a Reel to Reel. That's the only "DAW'less" set-up that matters. Because it SOUNDS BETTER!

No it DOESN’T!

And what’s manliness got to do with it anyway?

Digital’s been de facto for almost as long as tape was by now. Either leave your ego in past and move on, or quit the game, because all this aggressive masculine opinionated posturing is coming over as rather amateurish, pathetic and irrelevant.

Manliness = Aggressively pursuing that which you know is right.

....haha...um...at this point you should know I really don't care what you say to/or about me. Nor will I "quit" anything because you suggest I should. So save yourself the trouble. There's nothing you can say that will affect me in the slightest.

Now...back on topic.....the amount of time "digital" has ruled the recorded music landscape is eerily similar to the timeline that tracks decline of the music industry.

So say what you want about digital. Its introduction was DEATH to the business.

You can make all the excuses you like. That statement will STILL BE TRUE...so once again....save your breath.

It is EASY to record music with a DAW.

That is why we are FLOODED with garbage music that didn't have to pass any QC gatekeepers.

When I got my first record deal, you didn't say you were "Releasing a record" unless you had convinced someone else to sink THEIR money into YOUR product.

Now.....Everyone is "Releasing a record" and consequently, that statement means NOTHING anymore.

Instead of having highly trained professionals record you onto analog tape, which is not easy (I do it myself now.) And requires that you both have good material and know how to play it.....

....Now, you slap a few loops together in Abelton, bounce it out and call it your "Record"

I call B.S.....because NO ONE is buying music anymore!!

The business has been sunk by a number of factors, but one of the most critical is that there are no "Gate keepers" You don't have to EARN your stripes in order to be heard.

Tech has made it possible for people who are too lazy to learn to actually make music....to pretend they are making music.

Consumer's can tell. They know it's B.S...so they don't buy it.

At lest that is one MAN'S perspective. (And I'll remind you discrimination works both ways, so please refrain from insulting my gender.)

Since it became the standard, the music industry has gone DOWN IN FLAMES!
Terrible.dee
Regular
Posts: 107 Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:12 pm
Post Reply