Belief in the Music we make

Arrangement, instrumentation, lyric writing, music theory, inspiration… it’s all here.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Belief in the Music we make

Post by Arpangel »

Please, all of you, just enjoy making your music, and stop theorising on this forum, I’m not doing anything, and I wish I had your enthusiasm.
I spent a lot of money restoring our piano, which has been played for about ten minutes since it came back.
My partner asked me why I don’t play it, I said "I just can’t be bothered" I really couldn’t think of any other reason to give.
If all I had was an i Pad with Garage Band that would be more than enough for me right now, and even that’s not getting used.
Time to have a stock take of my life, because if things get any worse, I’m not going to have the enthusiasm to get out of bed.
User avatar
Arpangel
Jedi Poster
Posts: 9188 Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2003 12:00 am
That would be an ecumenical matter.

Re: Belief in the Music we make

Post by blinddrew »

Eddy Deegan wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:20 am I don't want to blow smoke up the proverbial Drew but I disagree with your conclusion. The finer points of engineering and musicianship are always up for discussion but heaven knows it's something we all work at. The Zukans and Elfs of this world leave most of us in the dust on the former and in addition to them there are more people still who can help the latter but you're certainly able to render worthy renditions of your musical works.

Maybe you didn't find the right A&R person, or whatever the equivalent is these days, but in terms of lyricism/storytelling my humble opinion is that you're right up there with the best of them and those strengths have enormous potential were you to be aligned with someone who can 'embrace and extend' such things as chord progressions

That's very kind of you to say Eddy. :blush:
You're wrong, but it's still very kind of you to say. ;)
User avatar
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Posts: 16505 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Re: Belief in the Music we make

Post by RichardT »

Arpangel wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:32 am Please, all of you, just enjoy making your music, and stop theorising on this forum, I’m not doing anything, and I wish I had your enthusiasm.
I spent a lot of money restoring our piano, which has been played for about ten minutes since it came back.
My partner asked me why I don’t play it, I said "I just can’t be bothered" I really couldn’t think of any other reason to give.
If all I had was an i Pad with Garage Band that would be more than enough for me right now, and even that’s not getting used.
Time to have a stock take of my life, because if things get any worse, I’m not going to have the enthusiasm to get out of bed.

Sounds like depression to me Tony. You should get yourself some help right away.
RichardT
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1332 Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2004 12:00 am Location: London UK

Re: Belief in the Music we make

Post by OneWorld »

blinddrew wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:09 am I came to terms, a while back, that the reason I never got beyond my brief recording deal was that as a musician i'm simply not good enough.
So for me it's all about trying to write songs that are as good as I can get them and hoping that they might work for a few other people along the way.
It does make things easier to understand your target market. ;)

I think you speak for a lot of us there. And if the music we write hits the spot for ourselves at least, then it's mission accomplished. Just like the bloke on the next plot at the allotments always gets bigger marrows than I do, but, so what, mine taste ok to me, so that'll do.

I think there is a lot to be said for having the pragmatism to not be so delusional and just accept, at best our music might be 'OK' Once we have acknowledged that, and accept it as a very enjoyable and creative hobby, then the music has done its job, given us hours of entertainment.

I remember once listening to an interview with Quincy Jones who said he got 100's of demos each week. 75% he could bin straight away, the rest were 'OK' and every one in a blue moon one demo came along that was 'the one' He said he said there was loads of 'OK' music out there, well performed, well executed, good arrangement, good musicianship etc, but 'OK' isn't good enough.

I read that Taylor Swift dropped by a pub in Ireland last week where they had a singer writer doing his stuff, and Taylor Swift said to him "You're putting your 10,000 hours in then, and that's where we all begin" Seems all consummate professionals, even the gifted stars all have one thing in common, hard graft, and then some.
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 3133 Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:00 am

Re: Belief in the Music we make

Post by tea for two »

Arpangel wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:32 am I spent a lot of money restoring our piano, which has been played for about ten minutes since it came back.
My partner asked me why I don’t play it, I said "I just can’t be bothered" I really couldn’t think of any other reason to give.
If all I had was an i Pad with Garage Band that would be more than enough for me right now, and even that’s not getting used.

I recently purchased a sampler dual keyboard its from the 80s a Casio Dm100 because samplers do something for me and I couldn't fit a proper electric organ with pedalboard (limited space) so this dual keyboard Casio just the ticket.
Since it arrived over fortnight earlier I played it twice.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/193629214 ... 492436988/
https://www.matrixsynth.com/2007/08/cas ... 0.html?m=1
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HcwefVORISw

The issue is depending / relying overly on gear on an instrument, when we should rely on the Source of Inspiration (in various forms), the Source of Music.
tea for two
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1092 Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2002 12:00 am

Re: Belief in the Music we make

Post by tea for two »

Folderol wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:37 pm It wouldn't be possible for me to not believe in the music I make.

My take on this is that music is just a part of me. I never made a decision like 'I want to be a musician'. Things just happened. When I was a kid, there was a beat-up wood framed piano at home and I started messing about on it. Soon I was playing simple tunes on it.


ManFromGlass wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:43 pm For me never any question about doing music and related. It just unfolded that way.


I think if we are granted a fraction of a gift from the Source of Music then it becomes part of us and we can't help but make music and it would be throwing this gift back in the face of the Source of Music if we didn't make music.

::

ManFromGlass wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:43 pm I attended a Zoom talk from a person who worked in the Hollywood film music scene. She said that sometimes success in that business is down to who you know....
Other times it’s just dumb luck - being in the right place at the right time, having your track show up on the right desk exactly when a track like that is needed.
So do we control our destinies or are we just blown about by the winds of karma?

I have zero idea regards Karma as so many hit singles been manufactured marketed to hit a target audience.
Although the phrase : luck = preparation + grasping opportunities : seems to have struck a chord with me, even though I have failed miserably in this and continue to do so : I'm a happy loser lol.

::

OneWorld wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:26 pm
blinddrew wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:09 am I came to terms, a while back, that the reason I never got beyond my brief recording deal was that as a musician i'm simply not good enough.
So for me it's all about trying to write songs that are as good as I can get them and hoping that they might work for a few other people along the way.

I think you speak for a lot of us there. And if the music we write hits the spot for ourselves at least, then it's mission accomplished. Just like the bloke on the next plot at the allotments always gets bigger marrows than I do, but, so what, mine taste ok to me, so that'll do.

I think there is a lot to be said for having the pragmatism to not be so delusional and just accept, at best our music might be 'OK' Once we have acknowledged that, and accept it as a very enjoyable and creative hobby, then the music has done its job, given us hours of entertainment.

Wholeheartedly agree.
If the music we make means something to just one person even if this person is us then it has done what it was meant to.
This should be plenty to give us belief to keep on making music.
It's plenty for me.
tea for two
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1092 Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2002 12:00 am

Re: Belief in the Music we make

Post by tea for two »

OneWorld wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:26 pm
I remember once listening to an interview with Quincy Jones who said he got 100's of demos each week. 75% he could bin straight away, the rest were 'OK' and every one in a blue moon one demo came along that was 'the one' He said he said there was loads of 'OK' music out there, well performed, well executed, good arrangement, good musicianship etc, but 'OK' isn't good enough.

I can only guess those sending in demos to Quincy wanted a hit record, to get a record contract, be a music star.
In which instance it's undrestandible Quincy would be analytical, selective.

However when it is our Personal music, someone as Quincy's opinion means in Quincy's words jack sh*t .
As does anyone else's opinion.
We must keep this in mind.
Our Personal music is beyond anyones judgement beyond anyones analysis.
Only we know why it is personal to us, only we know what we put into it.
Staying steadfast in this enables us to keep on making music personal to us, keep on believing in our music.

::

Moreover there's hundreds of styles of music around the world, someone as Quincy and anyone else for that matter is not even qualified in the slightest to pass any analysis on those styles.

::

Incidentally I would like to hear Quincy's personal music.
Not the hit singles he worked on, not the arrangements he did for Frank Sinatra.
As Quincy was a student of Nadia Boulanger did he apply Nadia's teachings to his personal music.
tea for two
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1092 Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2002 12:00 am

Re: Belief in the Music we make

Post by Arpangel »

Thought this might be of interest, to this thread, vaguely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8CNhakfB7c
User avatar
Arpangel
Jedi Poster
Posts: 9188 Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2003 12:00 am
That would be an ecumenical matter.

Re: Belief in the Music we make

Post by Martin Walker »

Arpangel wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:42 pm Thought this might be of interest, to this thread, vaguely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8CNhakfB7c

I'm sure some of us can identify with that creative impasse Tony.

Martin
User avatar
Martin Walker
Moderator
Posts: 18295 Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:44 am Location: Cornwall, UK

Re: Belief in the Music we make

Post by Arpangel »

tea for two wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:54 pm
Our Personal music is beyond anyones judgement beyond anyones analysis.
Only we know why it is personal to us, only we know what we put into it.
Staying steadfast in this enables us to keep on making music personal to us, keep on believing in our music.

I agree with some of this, to a degree, but I’d actually like other people to listen to, and enjoy my music, if that’s the case, the more people that listen to it is partly a judge of its success.
Whenever I’m making music, consciously or not, I’m thinking about the effect it’s going to have on the listener, I can’t help it, no matter how radical or left field it may be, it has to have a "musical" structure, it has to connect emotionally with someone, otherwise, it’s like painting a picture that only I can look at, or a book only I can read, you have to throw your work open to everyone, it’s interesting, to find out what people think, and what it means to "them" they are in the equation too.
User avatar
Arpangel
Jedi Poster
Posts: 9188 Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2003 12:00 am
That would be an ecumenical matter.

Re: Belief in the Music we make

Post by adrian_k »

I’m the opposite. The thought of anyone else listening to my music spoils it, takes it away from being engaging and meaningful to an exercise in doing something to entertain, which I have no interest in.
User avatar
adrian_k
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1332 Joined: Thu Jan 30, 2003 12:00 am Location: Gloucestershire
getting better all the time..

Re: Belief in the Music we make

Post by Arpangel »

adrian_k wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:15 am I’m the opposite. The thought of anyone else listening to my music spoils it, takes it away from being engaging and meaningful to an exercise in doing something to entertain, which I have no interest in.

IMO, music is engaging and musical "because" it connects with other people.
And we are all entertainers, whether we like it or not.
We need to be loved and appreciated, it’s a fact of life, some will hate what we do, and definitely won’t appreciate it, but that’s a fact of life also.
There are a lot of people that don’t write or record the first note, the main reason being they don’t want to be disliked, music is a reflection of who we are, and some people like us, some don’t.
User avatar
Arpangel
Jedi Poster
Posts: 9188 Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2003 12:00 am
That would be an ecumenical matter.
Post Reply