Belief in the Music we make

Arrangement, instrumentation, lyric writing, music theory, inspiration… it’s all here.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Belief in the Music we make

Post by RichardT »

Arpangel wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:41 am
tea for two wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:54 pm
Our Personal music is beyond anyones judgement beyond anyones analysis.
Only we know why it is personal to us, only we know what we put into it.
Staying steadfast in this enables us to keep on making music personal to us, keep on believing in our music.

I agree with some of this, to a degree, but I’d actually like other people to listen to, and enjoy my music, if that’s the case, the more people that listen to it is partly a judge of its success.
Whenever I’m making music, consciously or not, I’m thinking about the effect it’s going to have on the listener, I can’t help it, no matter how radical or left field it may be, it has to have a "musical" structure, it has to connect emotionally with someone, otherwise, it’s like painting a picture that only I can look at, or a book only I can read, you have to throw your work open to everyone, it’s interesting, to find out what people think, and what it means to "them" they are in the equation too.

I agree with this. For me, my music is for other people to enjoy. I enjoy the act of creating it very much, but I also enjoy releasing it into the wild.
RichardT
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1333 Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2004 12:00 am Location: London UK

Post by Arpangel »

RichardT wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:58 am
I agree with this. For me, my music is for other people to enjoy. I enjoy the act of creating it very much, but I also enjoy releasing it into the wild.

Yes, I’ve come across this view from a few people that I like, it seems quite common, it’s not obligatory, we’re all different, but to make or create something and not share it, is a bit puzzling to me.
I have a friend who plays piano, she won’t play in front of anyone, I really don’t care what she’s like, but she won’t play, I find that extremely weird, it just makes me more interested in hearing her play!
Arpangel
Jedi Poster
"Don’t let the noise of other peoples opinions drown your inner voice"

Post by adrian_k »

I think I maybe understand her point of view. When I talked earlier about whether my music was ‘engaging and meaningful’ I meant for me - I’m not concerned about other people’s thoughts on what I do, looking for anyone else’s approval is a bit tiresome really.

I’ve recorded very little as I like to improvise and I like the idea that when it’s gone it’s gone.

I have recorded the odd song, but that was more an exercise in getting something done than making a musical statement, I don’t feel ownership for the end result, they always seem lifeless and overworked.

Well we are all different! And I’m glad other people record music for me to listen to, so what kind of a hypocrite am I? :beamup:
adrian_k
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1332 Joined: Thu Jan 30, 2003 12:00 am Location: Gloucestershire
getting better all the time..

Post by paul tha other »

this subject strikes a chord with me..this was something that changed my attitude towards it..i have a little home setup and have access to a studio ..i used to record all my stuff at home apart from vocals(i lived in a flat and was way to self aware to sing at home)
one day i had gone into work early to record my vocals..i had a session booked at 6 so i went in at 4..set up my stuff ,did 5 or 6 takes and went into the control room to comp the vocal..after i had finished comping i was starting to get annoyed by the song to the point where i thought "this song is crap,its for the bin".
i hadnt noticed that the guy i had the 6 oclock session with had came in early and grabbed a seat at the back of the control room.
"how ya doing ? "he said.."whos that youre mixing?"
i replied its one of my own tunes but i really dont like it and now i hear it with the vocals in ,i think ill bin it...the guy ,who i respect massively as far as music is concerened looked at me as if i was stupid and said these words
"why do you care if you like it?"

since that day i stopped the internal dialoge the hinders my output..i see everything though to the end and let other people judge it.i cant judge it.im way to close to it
paul tha other
Frequent Poster
Posts: 697 Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2004 12:00 am Location: scotland
http://www.myspace.com/onemanandalaptop

Post by Arpangel »

adrian_k wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:51 pm I like to improvise and I like the idea that when it’s gone it’s gone.

I'm torn, I’d like to be able to repeat my improvisations, but I can’t, I can’t write things down, which I’d like to have learnt to do.
On the other hand, and I don’t mean this flippantly, not being able to play anything again is a sure far way of staying fresh!
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Arpangel »

paul tha other wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:52 am i cant judge it.im way to close to it

Very very true, but at the same time, self-criticism is essential, and judgement, when composing.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by ManFromGlass »

Interesting approach. I find all that stuff gets in the way of the music manifesting itself. I don’t mean to sound new-age-y but I need to shut up and get out of the way of the music showing up.
After the music is there then the mind takes over to get it to final mix unless it stands on it’s own, warts and all, or it’s a live performance once it’s finished it’s gone .. .
ManFromGlass
Jedi Poster
Posts: 4929 Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:00 am Location: O Canada

Post by MOF »

I’d like to be able to repeat my improvisations, but I can’t, I can’t write things down, which I’d like to have learnt to do.

Why don’t you leave your DAW in record all the time then keep the best bits?
MOF
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1758 Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2003 12:00 am Location: United Kingdom