Multitrack recording (audio + midi) away from computer?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Multitrack recording (audio + midi) away from computer?

Post by The Elf »

OneWorld wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:44 pmIt’s not so much the boot up time that irks me but the interminable updates which to come on a frequent basis.

Are we talking about the same software?! :lol: Cubase updates are two a year - if we're lucky!
The Elf
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 20049 Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Post by James Perrett »

The Elf wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:18 pm The Pi would need a PSU, or battery pack, plus cables, and a screen, with PSU/battery pack and cables, and you'd still need an audio interface and maybe a mouse...

Most of that is hidden in the Yoshimi Pi box - just plug an IEC mains cable into the box, hook up a MIDI keyboard and plug the audio output into your monitors. Yes, the screen is separate, but at 7" it isn't much bigger than the box that contains the rest.

A Reaper based device would need more sophisticated audio I/O but there are plenty of compatible audio interfaces that could be incorporated into the device.
James Perrett
Posts: 14377 Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Post by OneWorld »

The Elf wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:00 pm
OneWorld wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:44 pmIt’s not so much the boot up time that irks me but the interminable updates which to come on a frequent basis.

Are we talking about the same software?! :lol: Cubase updates are two a year - if we're lucky!

No, how long it takes Windoesn't to get a head of steam up
OneWorld
Frequent Poster

Post by Arpangel »

It’s still an option to sync Midi time code on a hardware recorder, or, go the whole hog, get a Zoom Livetrack, which are brilliant, and use CV and sequencers to record your synths.
Reluctantly, I’ve had to resort to a laptop, and a small interface, for away- from-home recording, it’s still the cheapest and most flexible solution.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by The Elf »

OneWorld wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:03 am

Ah!

This is yet another of those 'don't know what I'm doing, but I don't have the same experience' moments. My laptop takes little over a minute to be up and running, from cold. I very rarely see Windows updates, though when I do they're a couple of minutes in the installing. And my laptop backs itself up incrementally to my NAS weekly, using Acronis, without me even knowing it's happening.

I must lead a charmed life when it comes to PCs and Windows, because I rarely recognise the problems other people have! :lol:

That said, there seems to be ever-increasing support for Linux, and I enjoy using it - it's pretty much how Windows might be had it not been overloaded with junk over the years.
The Elf
Forum Aficionado

Post by Arpangel »

The Elf wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:00 am
I must lead a charmed life when it comes to PCs and Windows, because I rarely recognise the problems other people have! :lol:

Me too, I’ve had lots of trouble with my Mac, and no trouble at all with my three year old PC and Windows 10, everything just works, I just wish I could turn off the pesky updates.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by The Elf »

Arpangel wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:36 am

Me too, I’ve had lots of trouble with my Mac, and no trouble at all with my three year old PC and Windows 10, everything just works, I just wish I could turn off the pesky updates.

You can - just never put it online.

(This isn't my approach. I take all the updates and don't find them too intrusive - barring a major update, and that can be scheduled).
The Elf
Forum Aficionado

Post by Arpangel »

The Elf wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:37 am
Arpangel wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:36 am

You can - just never put it online.

(This isn't my approach. I take all the updates and don't find them too intrusive - barring a major update, and that can be scheduled).

I don’t Elf, only occasionally, but again, I haven’t had any issues with updates affecting my music software.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by OneWorld »

OneWorld wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:03 am

Ah!

This is yet another of those 'don't know what I'm doing, but I don't have the same experience' moments. My laptop takes little over a minute to be up and running, from cold. I very rarely see Windows updates, though when I do they're a couple of minutes in the installing. And my laptop backs itself up incrementally to my NAS weekly, using Acronis, without me even knowing it's happening.

That said, there seems to be ever-increasing support for Linux, and I enjoy using it - it's pretty much how Windows might be had it not been overloaded with junk over the years.

To some, a minute is an eternity, some, Mozart, even wrote a world famous waltz that lasts a minute. I remember back to when you could go from switch on and through the gears in 10 seconds or less and declutter a machine in
one fell swoop. In computer terms we are becoming bloated in the same way 25% the nation is now said to be obese because we gorge on flabBurgers and Croak-A-Cola, sort of emulates the Windows story.

As you say........

" it's pretty much how Windows might be had it not been overloaded with junk over the years."

Yes thanks, you make my point for me. That junk referred to hardly characterizes a charmed life, more a beleaguered one in terms of computing.

If I had a choice between 2 computers, one that booted in 10 seconds and one that booted in 60 seconds, but each computer did the same job, except the second was plastered with go-faster stripes and fake spoilers, I'd go for the first of the two choices
OneWorld
Frequent Poster

Post by The Elf »

I’m saying the junk is annoying. It certainly doesn’t slow my startup time.

My old Korg Kronos took far, far longer!
The Elf
Forum Aficionado

Post by claz »

@Arpangel, re:

It’s still an option to sync Midi time code on a hardware recorder, or, go the whole hog, get a Zoom Livetrack, which are brilliant, and use CV and sequencers to record your synths.

Are you saying it is possible to somehow capture MIDI data for later editing with the Zoom? (I don't think so, but excuse my ignorance.). If so, I'm sold - I too love the Zoom otherwise!
claz
Regular