Old control surfaces worth buying?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Old control surfaces worth buying?

Post by Aled Hughes »

James Perrett wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:41 am
Aled Hughes wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:29 pm I, on the hand, can’t seem to find anything current that would quite give me what my Alphatrack (with a 3rd party driver- I think that’s the crucial bit! O ) gives with Reaper.

Can you tell us more about the third party driver? I have an Alphatrack here but it keeps losing the connection with Reaper.

Sorry, it's a script/plugin, not a driver. I'll have a look for it.

I think it uses the original driver, and I do lose connections every now and again - I have two systems with two different Alphatracks, and it's much worse on one. The other is quite stable.

The 3rd party software is really neat - one of my favourite bits is that it allows instant control of any FX parameter that you make visible in Reaper's mixer (a row that's available between the inserts and sends, in case you haven't used it). It also finds any ReaEQ instances on a tracks and map the the knobs accordingly when you select 'EQ' on the Alphatrack. There's a handy sheet somewhere that details the functions - I'll have a look.
Aled Hughes
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1314 Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:00 am Location: Pwllheli, Cymru
www.stiwdiosain.cymru

Post by James Perrett »

Thanks Aled

Is it the one at

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php ... alphatrack

I've just downloaded that and will give it a try.
James Perrett
Posts: 11376 Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Post by Aled Hughes »

James Perrett wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:11 pm Thanks Aled

Is it the one at

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php ... alphatrack

I've just downloaded that and will give it a try.

Yes, that’s the one. It’s worth going to the end of the thread to find the latest version.
Aled Hughes
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1314 Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:00 am Location: Pwllheli, Cymru
www.stiwdiosain.cymru

Post by ConcertinaChap »

ManFromGlass wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:17 pm I have an ancient Mackie Control Universal - love the scroll wheel for getting about, and a Korg Kontrol with the faders sending mostly CC information.

Eh? What? [snort] Somebody call me?

Actually I'm very happy with my Mackie MCU and extender that I've had for a good few years, use them all the time when in Logic but should they fail then I can't justify replacing them when the X-Touch offers the same functionality at a much more reasonable price.

I also have a Softube Console One. Interestingly I liked that a lot at first for the idea of using knobs to control EQ and compression but more and more I found myself reaching for the mouse for these tasks and the Console One has moved, possibly permanently, into a cupboard.

CC

Edited to add PS: if you've got people coming in to record then never underestimate the magic of a big mixer. People have been educated for decades into thinking it isn't a "real" studio without a big mixer. Fortunately the MCU plus extender fill that role pretty well, plus outsiders are always impressed when the faders start jumping around when you turn it on.
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Posts: 10366 Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:00 am Location: Bradford on Avon
Making music: Eagle Alley
Recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
"Sir, more than kisses, letters mingle souls" - John Donne

Post by Luke W »

ConcertinaChap wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:52 pm Edited to add PS: if you've got people coming in to record then never underestimate the magic of a big mixer. People have been educated for decades into thinking it isn't a "real" studio without a big mixer. Fortunately the MCU plus extender fill that role pretty well, plus outsiders are always impressed when the faders start jumping around when you turn it on.

I've lost count at the amount of times I've seen the "kid at Christmas" face from people when firing up "Vegas" mode on Icon surfaces. :lol:
Luke W
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1098 Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:00 am Location: Northamptonshire, UK
Studio - Techical Services - Bespoke Construction