Downsizing PA

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Moderator: Moderators

Downsizing PA

Post by techjazz »

Hi All,

I need to downsize my trusty DXR12s before they further upset my poor ageing back! This is for a 5 piece soul/funk band playing small/medium venues - pubs, small parties up to 150 people. Vocals and keys mostly, maybe kick. Anything larger we bring in help.

My shortlist:

2 x DXR10s mk2 (+1 x DXS12 where load-ins are easy)

2 x QSC CP12s (+ 1 x KS112 as above)

Any thoughts, other suggestions? Drummers are, as ever the, problem. Would love to use a small line array but suspect drums and/or cost to be an issue. Budget up to £2k.

Thanks in advance!
techjazz

Re: Downsizing PA

Post by resistorman »

You could use a separate sub for the kick and make the drummer carry it :D
resistorman
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2679 Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:00 am Location: Asheville NC
"The Best" piece of gear is subjective.

Post by techjazz »

:lol:
techjazz

Post by shufflebeat »

I bought a pair of dxr8s on a whim and they've turned out to be surprisingly powerful, versatile and light.

I've put them in Gator bags which leave a bit to be desired but serviceable with care.

No "wedge monitor" angle though (boo!).
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster
Posts: 9091 Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:00 am Location: Manchester, UK
“…I can tell you I don't have money, but what I do have are a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long career” - (folk musician, Manchester).

Post by techjazz »

Thanks, yes - DXR8s / K8.2s might work but I'd probably have to keep the 12's too. I've got CP8's for monitors which I really like and they are work well.
techjazz

Post by forumuser647509 »

Hi. I would definitely recommend 2x K8.2 with a small sub. If you're playing small/med venues up to 150 people they would do the job. I know a 5 piece pub/function band that have swapped out there 15" EV's for this set up and can't believe the difference in sound quality. As well as volume. If you want pro sound and even louder try the RCF tt08ii. They behave more like a 10" and would be ideal again, with a small sub. It depends on your budget, it always does! I've used both of the above and for me the K8.2 is the best of the general range available. The TT08ii is up there with L Acoustics and Meyer, for less money. I've just bought the TT's. To my ears, they're fantastic. Also very good for the back!
forumuser647509
New here