motu 828mkII routing in mac os

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: motu 828mkII routing in mac os

Post by arfo »

wearashirt wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:08 pm Did you not buy the motu to use in a DAW? I guess that's one major question I also have for you..
I hope you find a solution. I'm also planning on getting an old mk3.

Hi wearashirt,
I've been using my MOTU for fifteen years at least an I still am, with Cubase 11, Live 10, Sibelius, and other software; it's a very good soundcard with a lot of ins and outs so ther are a lot of routing options but...
...recently I'm no more able to set in and out for listening outside of music software...
I at first used MOTU in a Windows environment then I passed to a Macmini, starting with OS Mavericks, and I set a couple of outputs - different from main outputs - for internet streaming and audio file previews; since I upgraded to OS Mojave they are still running but I can't no more change them so I was asking because I guessed it could be a compatibility problem (my MOTU is a firewire one and I think - not sure... - firewire it's no more used in soundcards).
It's not a major issue, at the moment, because I still can use my DAWs and other music softwares but it's annoying and it makes me to fear that thing could get worse.
I'm still trying to have a feedback from MOTU tech support; I'll post something as I'll have some new...
arfo
Regular

Post by Sarqueboute »

Hello
This is my standard configuration, which I'm using daily with no pb (OS 10.14.6 + MOTU 828 mkII). I'm using the MOTU as a patch bay from many sources / destinations.
I can switch the Mac output in most applications like this: select MOTU in the sound pref, then the output in MOTU Audio Setup (I currently switch between Phones 1-2, hifi amp on Analog 1-2, near field on Main Out). This is different from Logic and other DAWs, which use their own routing pref (GarageBand only outputs on Main Out). I don't think Cuemix handles the Mac output.
I had to update the driver when installing 10.14 (from a much older version); I've used MOTU Audio Installer v1.6.73220 which is noted 10.6 to 10.13 but works fine on 10.14. Then, some applications routed the signal independently - I had initial difficulties with Firefox / Safari / iTunes but this settled down by tweaking the controls (don't really know how…) ; also the switch is not always immediate, e.g. in Firefox you have to stop and play again when changing output. I also had initial problems with Firefox when Sonarworks is active. But everything works fine.
Sarqueboute
Posts: 2 Joined: Sun May 08, 2011 12:00 am Location: Paris

Post by arfo »

Hi Sarqueboute,
sorry I'm answering very late.

Sarqueboute wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:15 am I had initial difficulties with Firefox / Safari / iTunes but this settled down by tweaking the controls (don't really know how…)

This is exactly what I was trying to understand but it seems it's not possible to route Firefox/Chrome audio or audio file preview to main ouputs using browser preferences...
I only obtained a result creating a multiple output device in macmini MIDI Audio settings but it doesn't respond to Apple remote control so I have to be very careful vith volumes to avoid speakers troubles...

As I wrote it's not a major issue but I suppose it's a drivers compatibility issue... I'll let you know if MOTU should answer to me....

Thank you for answering,
Arturo
arfo
Regular