Scan - Anyone else had problems?

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Scan - Anyone else had problems?

Post by Nazard »

Agreed, very much so. In the last few months, I have been ordering components from Farnell and RS. I now have them all, but they have arrived via multiple packages from their UK and EU warehouses.

The last to arrive, after a month, from RS, were Alps push-button switches, Spun194700: very happy, as they are now are backorder until the end of January 2022.

Being an electronics manufacturer of any size, now, must be a nightmare.
Nazard
Frequent Poster

Post by Forum Admin »

Trevor Johnson wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:11 pm Agreed, very much so. In the last few months, I have been ordering components from Farnell and RS. I now have them all, but they have arrived via multiple packages from their UK and EU warehouses.

The last to arrive, after a month, from RS, were Alps push-button switches, Spun194700: very happy, as they are now are backorder until the end of January 2022.

Being an electronics manufacturer of any size, now, must be a nightmare.

Author William Stokes wrote a good article "Chip Crisis" in the September 2021 SOS:

https://www.soundonsound.com/music-business/chip-crisis

-- very enlightening and explains lots of shortages in our industry.
Forum Admin
Posts: 4233 Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2003 11:00 pm Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
Search 16,966 SOS Reviews+Techniques articles: www.soundonsound.com/search
SOS Podcasts

Post by Nazard »

Author William Stokes wrote a good article "Chip Crisis" in the September 2021 SOS

Yes, I read it and thought it absolutely excellent. So much so that I read it twice!
Nazard
Frequent Poster

Post by jaminem »

I've had terrible issues with them and no longer use them, which is a shame because they used to be really good.

Nothing to do with the chip crisis, all items in stock when purchased, just really really late when promised next day, can never provide a delivery date...then I purchased a pre built Mobo/CPU/Memory/cooler bundle which turned up with the 'stock' cooler, when I called to complain, they took a week to investigate, then a further week to refund (I decided I buy the cooler elsewhere).

The guys are either totally over worked, have a poor logistics system or simply dont care anymore.

Like I said - a great shame since previously I have had excellent service from them, but 3 lots of poor experience and I wouldn't buy from them again.
jaminem
Frequent Poster

Post by Tombot »

Hi

I'm Tom, from Scan's Pro Audio department, and whilst i can't comment on individual issues (with over 350 staff, there are dedicated teams for customer service, returns etc), as I look after the studio tech side, I can give you a bit of background on the warehouse operation.

Last year was tough for logistics and orders did take longer to go out than usual, the demand from the first covid peak, through AMD / NVIDIA launch season through to Black Friday and Christmas meant we were shipping considerably more parcels (often more than double) a day, with the warehouse running 24 hours a day at the end of the year to get the service levels back to normal, with our warehouse still opening much longer hours than pre-lockdown.

Most days now, you can order late into the evening for next day delivery, though the cutoff time should be shown on the product page before you order.

The only thing with a significant waiting time at the minute is for computer build, though this is improving all the time. There are currently no 3XS systems available on next day delivery, but you can save money by buying fixed specification machine, compared to the custom configurator.There is a big red notice on the top of the page on the computer systems affected by this.

Any guitar orders can also take slightly longer to despatch, but this is because of our policy that every guitar has a free full setup from our dedicated guitar technicians before getting sent out, to ensure it plays perfectly when it arrives.

Of course there are some minimal issues from time to time, we use people in the warehouse, not robots, but this is a tiny fraction of the thousands of parcels a day that get sent out.

If an item is pre-order, the estimate for delivery is based on the last information received from the supplier, as with everything at the minute, do feel free to check up with us beforehand and we can check if there is an updated ETA.

If anyone wants to contact our team directly please email us at scanproaudio@scan.co.uk with any questions and we can try and help.

James Perrett wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:58 pm I notice that they now have a disclaimer in red about stock being allocated on a first come first serve basis on all their pages and that it may take a few days for orders to be fulfilled. I'm not sure how that ties in with the stock levels shown for each item.

Think you might be confusing the page about overall operational status and text about GPU (graphics card) order allocation with the rest of the site. We do not take pre-orders for GPU's now (and have not done for over 6 months) Operational status has been pretty much green (standard delivery times) since last year's Black Friday / Christmas peak, but you can see this status displayed on the front page before you place an order.

ManFromGlass wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:57 pm It took 6 months to get a mic pre repaired here due to parts not available. A second pre is in and I expect a similar time frame.

As a retailer, we do not fix equipment (with the exception of being the UK service centre for Audeze Headphones) so time taken for repairs are up to the processing of the products by the UK distributors and then the manufacturers or appropriate service centre.
One certain distributor in particular shut their service department for a considerable period of time last year which really didn't help matters, but right now there should be no issues, apart from part availability, especially with anything using AKM converters as supply is still to re-start following the fire at the plant last year.
Tombot
Regular
Posts: 85 Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 12:00 am Location: Scan Pro Audio

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

Thanks for taking the time to explain the situation, Tom. I'm sure we all appreciate that.
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 38834 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by James Perrett »

Tombot wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:13 am
James Perrett wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:58 pm I notice that they now have a disclaimer in red about stock being allocated on a first come first serve basis on all their pages and that it may take a few days for orders to be fulfilled. I'm not sure how that ties in with the stock levels shown for each item.

Think you might be confusing the page about overall operational status and text about GPU (graphics card) order allocation with the rest of the site. We do not take pre-orders for GPU's now (and have not done for over 6 months) Operational status has been pretty much green (standard delivery times) since last year's Black Friday / Christmas peak, but you can see this status displayed on the front page before you place an order.

I was actually looking at complete systems when I noticed this but your explanation in the preceding paragraphs explains it.

Thanks for coming on here and explaining what is happening.
James Perrett
Posts: 14250 Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Post by Aled Hughes »

Thanks for that Tom,

I’m looking to buy an audio PC system from Scan in the coming weeks/months. Maybe I’d best get my order in then!
Aled Hughes
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1733 Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:00 am Location: Pwllheli, Cymru

Post by Luke W »

Thanks for the info :thumbup:

I got a custom 3XS system earlier this year and although the build process took a bit longer than I imagine it would in "normal" times, it was still an overall decent experience and the help and advice I got whilst speccing up the system I needed was very useful indeed.
Luke W
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1526 Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:00 am Location: Northamptonshire, UK

Post by Fishnish »

Luke W wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:17 pm ..........

I got a custom 3XS system earlier this year and although the build process took a bit longer than I imagine it would in "normal" times, it was still an overall decent experience and the help and advice I got whilst speccing up the system I needed was very useful indeed.

I had a very similar experience with them recently when ordering a new 3XS system. The pre sales advice was spot on. They were very clear about some component supply issues and the timescale for the whole process. In actual fact the components became available well in advance of their quoted time, the build phase was really quick and the new machine arrived a couple of weeks earlier than originally expected.
Fishnish
Regular

Post by Tombot »

Fishnish wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:54 pm
Luke W wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:17 pm ..........

I had a very similar experience with them recently when ordering a new 3XS system. The pre sales advice was spot on. They were very clear about some component supply issues and the timescale for the whole process. In actual fact the components became available well in advance of their quoted time, the build phase was really quick and the new machine arrived a couple of weeks earlier than originally expected.

Part availability is the key thing at the minute, it might be that we can swap certain parts to a similar model (that won't affect the audio performance) in the systems that are currently available and can turn urgent custom builds around in a few days if required.
Tombot
Regular
Posts: 85 Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 12:00 am Location: Scan Pro Audio