Stereo Output Channel In Logic Pro ???

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Moderator: Moderators

Stereo Output Channel In Logic Pro ???

Post by DigitalMusicProduction »

Hi

Just a quick question about the Stereo Output channel in Logic Pro. After reading articles I'm still not understanding its concept, what exactly is its purpose? I'm assuming it provides a greater or less stereo output for the track being recorded? but is there another purpose for it.
DigitalMusicProduction
Regular

Music is a universal language that speaks to every person, a euphoria of moods that inspires, convicts and heals 

Re: Stereo Output Channel In Logic Pro ???

Post by MOF »

It’s for controlling the overall level of all the tracks that are routed to it, which is usually all the virtual instruments, effects and audio tracks.
MOF
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2264 Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2003 12:00 am Location: United Kingdom

Post by Exalted Wombat »

It's the last control before the music hits the outside world! The exit gate for your music! Everything you do in the Mixer - audio tracks, virtual instrument tracks, effects etc. - ends up at the Output strip. It's a last chance to control the overall volume. Last chance to insert a compressor or eq plugin which will affect the whole mix.
Exalted Wombat
Longtime Poster
Posts: 5812 Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:00 am Location: London UK
You don't have to write songs. The world doesn't want you to write songs. It would probably prefer it if you didn't. So write songs if you want to. Otherwise, dont bore us with beefing about it. Go fishing instead.

Post by Ben Asaro »

This has already been excellently explained: the Stereo Output is your 2-bus. When you select Bounce, whatever is coming out of this bus is what will be mixed down from the multitrack. There is actually another fader after Stereo Output called Master, so I can understand your confusion!

If you open an empty session, add a track, go to the mixer, and enable all of the viewing options you will see: your new track, Click, Stereo Output, and Master. You can change this view by de-selecting options at the top of the mixer window.

It’s usually easier to set up buses prior to the stereo out to have greater control over the output. If you right click on an aux bus in the mixer view, you can create a track from that bus which you can add automation to, including Stereo Output.
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2364 Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:00 am Location: NYC

Post by DigitalMusicProduction »

Exalted Wombat wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:00 pmIt's the last control before the music hits the outside world! The exit gate for your music! Everything you do in the Mixer - audio tracks, virtual instrument tracks, effects etc. - ends up at the Output strip. It's a last chance to control the overall volume. Last chance to insert a compressor or eq plugin which will affect the whole mix.

So in my case with a solo piano production, after mixing the piano and adding a few FX processing tools i simlpy move on to gain stage each track, after which i then bounce the tracks. Where then in this production process does the stereo out channel fader come in to play? And what do my tracks benefit from it?
DigitalMusicProduction
Regular

Music is a universal language that speaks to every person, a euphoria of moods that inspires, convicts and heals 

Post by ConcertinaChap »

Ben Asaro wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:03 pmThere is actually another fader after Stereo Output called Master, so I can understand your confusion!

And my confusion. I've never understood the point of the Master fader, I just find it irritating that it takes up an unnecessary fader on my MCU. I leave the Master fader on 0 and otherwise ignore it.

Although if someone can explain why I should not ignore it I will happily learn.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Posts: 12935 Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:00 am Location: Bradford on Avon
Mr Punch's Studio
Life's a long song
but the tune ends too soon for us all

Post by Dave Rowles »

Quick search brought up that the Master Fader controlls the output level for ALL outputs, not just the stereo. I'll have to try that out!

So for instance, when I'm doing live work I use logic to do the reverbs, but output each of the verbs on different outs. So Drum verb is 1-2, hall is 3-4, plate os 5-6.

So I guess if I grabbed the master fader it would reduce the output level of all of those.

If you're just outputting to the single stereo output, then it is a little pointless.
Dave Rowles
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1455 Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:00 am Location: Isle of Man
http://www.manninmusic.com Teacher - Isle of Man
http://www.manninmusic.shop Music Shop - Isle of Man
https://www.facebook.com/mannin.sound - PA Hire/Sound Engineer - Isle of Man

Post by IAA »

It’s a master VCA and you can to all intents and purposes forget about it and even hide it in the mixer view by deselecting master.
IAA
Frequent Poster

Post by ConcertinaChap »

Thanks, Dave, that sounds reasonable, but as you say I'm just outputting the single stereo channel.

IAA wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:59 am and you can to all intents and purposes forget about it and even hide it in the mixer view by deselecting master.

I've done that in some of my templates. Unfortunately that doesn't prevent it taking up a fader on my MCU. :protest:

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Posts: 12935 Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:00 am Location: Bradford on Avon
Mr Punch's Studio
Life's a long song
but the tune ends too soon for us all

Post by IAA »

Unfortunately that doesn't prevent it taking up a fader on my MCU. :protest:

ha, yes that’s a pain I agree.
IAA
Frequent Poster

Post by Exalted Wombat »

DigitalMusicProduction wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:17 am
Exalted Wombat wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:00 pmIt's the last control before the music hits the outside world! The exit gate for your music! Everything you do in the Mixer - audio tracks, virtual instrument tracks, effects etc. - ends up at the Output strip. It's a last chance to control the overall volume. Last chance to insert a compressor or eq plugin which will affect the whole mix.

So in my case with a solo piano production, after mixing the piano and adding a few FX processing tools i simlpy move on to gain stage each track, after which i then bounce the tracks. Where then in this production process does the stereo out channel fader come in to play? And what do my tracks benefit from it?

I guess your tracks contain different 'takes' of your playing, to be chopped together into one faultless composite? It's wasteful to apply FX to each track separately. Just apply one instance of them in the Output channel.
Exalted Wombat
Longtime Poster
Posts: 5812 Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:00 am Location: London UK
You don't have to write songs. The world doesn't want you to write songs. It would probably prefer it if you didn't. So write songs if you want to. Otherwise, dont bore us with beefing about it. Go fishing instead.