MiDI Quest and Cubase

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Moderator: Moderators

MiDI Quest and Cubase

Post by Chimera »

Hello all, I have been working with Michael at Soundquest in trying to troubleshoot problems I have encountered with MIDIQuest Pro in Cubase 10.5 Pro on a Windows PC. I mention it in case anyone has encountered anything similar and found a work around. It currently appears Cubase is the source of the problem. I just wondered if anyone had any ideas.

To cut a long story short we are at the point where the MQ Rev 2 plugin is fully synchronised with the synth. If I play the Rev 2 keyboard it plays and responds to changes made in the plugin. The problem commences when I want to use my MIDI keyboard on my PC desk. I use a Virus TI2 as my MIDI keyboard and it is connected over USB.

The problem seems to be that regardless of what MIDI channel the Cubase track is set to the note data coming out Cubase is always on Ch 1.

So if the Virus is set to Ch4, the Cubase track is set to Ch4, the MQ plugin is set to Ch4 and the synth is set to Ch4 then no notes are heard because the plugin Monitor Windows shows the note data as still being on Ch1. If everything is set to All or Ch1 then it works as expected.

If I set the track, plugin and synth to any other MIDI channel then I cannot get note on/off data through on the correct channel. The note data continues to appear on Ch1. - though interestingly the controller data for synth settings works on every channel.

So I have MIDI Quest working on channel 1 but no other channels - a bit limiting.

Has anyone got MQ working with Cubase on other channels?

Might it be worth me running the Virus MIDI via MIDI din?

Anything tucked away in settings and preferences?
Chimera
Regular
Posts: 268 Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:00 am Location: Wirral
Mac Studio Ultra M2
64GB.

Re: MiDI Quest and Cubase

Post by Chimera »

The writer of MQ has admitted there is a bug in the VST3 plug-in and it does not work with Cubase.
Chimera
Regular
Mac Studio Ultra M2
64GB.

Post by lists@burning-petals.com »

Have they fixed the bug or given an indication of when (if ?) it will be fixed ?
lists@burning-petals.com

Post by Mixedup »

Chimera wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:05 amThe problem seems to be that regardless of what MIDI channel the Cubase track is set to the note data coming out Cubase is always on Ch 1.

Anything tucked away in settings and preferences?

Could it be solved with the Input Transformer, as described in this KVR thread?
Mixedup
Frequent Poster
Posts: 4548 Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 12:00 am Location: Cambridgeshire, UK

Post by Chimera »

I’ll take a look thanks. I’m now having an additional problem with some of the latest plugins crashing Cubase. It’s a shame really.
Chimera
Regular
Mac Studio Ultra M2
64GB.