What size screen do you use? (thinking about acoustics)

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Moderator: Moderators

What size screen do you use? (thinking about acoustics)

Post by Guest »

I need to get a better screen but I don't know if I should go 27" or 32". My worry with 32" is that it may hurt my listening position due to the size of the physical screen... Has anyone played with this?

Re: What size screen do you use? (thinking about acoustics)

Post by James Perrett »

In my home based setup I have a 27" screen between the monitors and a smaller laptop screen below it. In the studio I have 2 x 21" screens between the monitors but my listening position is further away than in my home setup. The screens tend to be slightly behind the front face of the monitors.
James Perrett
Posts: 14250 Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Post by Lophophora »

In my experience the desk itself is more detrimental than the computer monitor, because it's literally in the way. But I guess that depends on how far you are from the monitor, and how far it is from the speakers.

I doubt there would be a significant difference between 27" and 32" but if you want to be sure, just take two measurements with Room EQ Wizard (or equivalent): one with a 27" and one with a 32" monitor. If you only have a 27" at hand, take a measurement with no monitor at all just to get an idea of its influence on the frequency response at the listening position.

FR accidents are relatively easy to compensate in the mid and high range, unlike the low end, because they usually don't have a long decay time and are less caused by the room boundaries. However, comb filtering that might result from reflections on the desk (or monitor) might be an issue.
Lophophora
Regular
Posts: 85 Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:28 pm Location: Singapore
Jean-Marc
SoundWise Mastering

Post by Luke W »

I'm running a 34" monitor with a 32" TV screen straight above it, but both are placed back behind the line of the speakers.

I think it's safe to say that in most spaces there will be lots of other factors that will be playing a much larger part in the sound of the room than the screen though, so I would say to go for the one that's most comfortable/practical to work on.
Luke W
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1526 Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:00 am Location: Northamptonshire, UK

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

It's really not the size of the computer screen that matters, it's where it is placed in relation to the loudspeakers. if the screen is placed behind a line stretching between the speaker baffles it will not have a significant impact on the sound. If it is in front then it will, due to reflections and diffractions.

I run two 21.5-inch screens side by side, just behind the line between the speakers.

As was said above, reflections off the desk are likely to be more problematic in most situations.
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 38835 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by Zukan »

Hugh Robjohns wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:26 am It's really not the size of the computer screen that matters, it's where it is placed in relation to the loudspeakers.

Beat me to it.

I use a 42" TV but placed behind the line of monitors and in a bay. Never had a problem.
Zukan
'Shaka. When the walls fell. Zukan...with his arms wide.'

Samplecraze
1-2-1 Tuition

Post by Mixedup »

I use a 27-inch one. I've tried larger screens and multiple monitors over the years and abandoned the idea a long time ago; you can only focus on so much at once, and I tend to switch views using keyboard shortcuts, which is how I work when using the laptop. (One caveat being that I'd probably add a second screen if I were doing audio for picture.)

As Hugh says, if the screen is behind the line from speaker to speaker, you're on safe ground. As long as you don't have a big reflective surface behind you, that is!
Mixedup
Jedi Poster
Posts: 4548 Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 12:00 am Location: Cambridgeshire, UK

Post by Guest »

Lophophora wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:09 am In my experience the desk itself is more detrimental than the computer monitor, because it's literally in the way. But I guess that depends on how far you are from the monitor, and how far it is from the speakers.

I doubt there would be a significant difference between 27" and 32" but if you want to be sure, just take two measurements with Room EQ Wizard (or equivalent): one with a 27" and one with a 32" monitor. Take a look at SPAM LINK REMOVED If you only have a 27" at hand, take a measurement with no monitor at all just to get an idea of its influence on the frequency response at the listening position.

FR accidents are relatively easy to compensate in the mid and high range, unlike the low end, because they usually don't have a long decay time and are less caused by the room boundaries. However, comb filtering that might result from reflections on the desk (or monitor) might be an issue.

Unfortunately I only have a 27" monitor so I will check with and without the monitor when I can. My desk is as small as I can go without it hurting my ability to work, so I can't touch that. Thanks for the tips

Post by Martin Walker »

Hugh Robjohns wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:26 am As was said above, reflections off the desk are likely to be more problematic in most situations.

I too run a single 27-inch screen, placed in between the monitor speakers for minimum acoustic disruption.

However, desk reflections are something I'm about to explore (I can certainly hear the improvement in stereo imaging if I place a large acoustic tile over my desk).

Raising the back of the desk slightly so it slopes downwards towards you invariably helps, by moving its 'mirror point' to force the desk reflections lower than your ears.

Apparently a 6 degree tilt is a useful recommendation, as it is sufficient in many cases without causing items to roll off your desk onto the floor. That for my 30-inch deep desk means raising the two back desk feet by three inches.

Martin
Martin Walker
Posts: 20599 Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:44 am Location: Cornwall, UK

Post by Drew Stephenson »

One of my next jobs is to make a new speaker and screen* shelf for my desk. The current one isn't quite deep enough for me to really get my screens behind the front baffles of the speakers.
That's the easy bit of the project, replacing the main shelf will be a bit more convoluted.

* or monitor and monitor if you prefer!
Drew Stephenson
Jedi Poster
Posts: 24450 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by Luke W »

blinddrew wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:03 pm One of my next jobs is to make a new speaker and screen* shelf for my desk. The current one isn't quite deep enough for me to really get my screens behind the front baffles of the speakers.
That's the easy bit of the project, replacing the main shelf will be a bit more convoluted.

I used up some leftover Rockwool/Cara from building my panels and made up a stand for my screens that gets them right back behind the desk between my speaker stands and doubles up as an additional trap. Seemed like quite a handy idea at the time.
Luke W
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1526 Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:00 am Location: Northamptonshire, UK

Post by zenguitar »

The OP has returned, quoted one of the replies, and inserted a spam link into the quoted reply.

As there have been useful responses I have decided to let the thread remain. But the spam link has been removed and the OP is subject to a complete ban.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
Posts: 12507 Joined: Thu Dec 05, 2002 12:00 am Location: Devon
Is it about a bicycle?