low end on jazzy guitar won't fit in the mix

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: low end on jazzy guitar won't fit in the mix

Post by resistorman »

Arrangement is everything.
resistorman
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2693 Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:00 am Location: Asheville NC
"The Best" piece of gear is subjective.

Post by Drew Stephenson »

Reading SOS and trying to learn mixing really opened my ears to the muddiness of our band's sound. We've spent a lot of time subsequently rearranging songs and cutting low mids to make acoustic space. It sounds better and we can rehearse quieter. :thumbup:

If only we had a gig... :(

;)
Drew Stephenson
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 24639 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by Martin Walker »

Ironically I was reading this this morning concerning Steve Howe's ES175D:

https://www.guitarplayer.com/players/i- ... ber-one-ax

Relevant comment:

"How do you tame the 175 onstage?

It might be just about where you set your bass level on your amp. If you’ve got that too high, this guitar is going to give you all the trouble it’s known for."

Martin
Martin Walker
Posts: 20639 Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:44 am Location: Cornwall, UK

Post by RichardT »

Martin Walker wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:15 pm Ironically I was reading this this morning concerning Steve Howe's ES175D:

https://www.guitarplayer.com/players/i- ... ber-one-ax

Relevant comment:

"How do you tame the 175 onstage?

It might be just about where you set your bass level on your amp. If you’ve got that too high, this guitar is going to give you all the trouble it’s known for."

Martin

Well exactly! How right he is.
RichardT
Frequent Poster
Posts: 4188 Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2004 12:00 am Location: Ireland

Post by Terrible.dee »

No, it's not that it won't "Fit in the mix"

It's that your song, or your part are improperly arranged.

Seeing as how your chief concern is getting the "Low end" of your "Jazzy Guitar" into the spotlight....I'm going to put my money on the latter.

So consequently, I'm going to suggest that you don't get it.

Either you are showcasing the composition, or the sound of your guitar.

If it's the sound of your guitar you care about, I suggest you record that and nothing else.
Terrible.dee
Regular

Post by Sam Inglis »

Terrible.dee wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:46 am No, it's not that it won't "Fit in the mix"

Seeing as how your chief concern is getting the "Low end" of your "Jazzy Guitar" into the spotlight....I'm going to put my money on the latter.

If it's the sound of your guitar you care about, I suggest you record that and nothing else.

I'm not convinced you have read the OP properly... the poster is trying to mix a friend's track. It's not "his" guitar.

Without having heard it, it's hard to say for sure whether it's an arrangement problem or a mix problem or both. But it seems dogmatic to insist that an arrangement which happens to have more than one instrument playing in the same register is necessarily bad. Rock bands typically have bass guitar, kick drum, floor tom and more all competing in that same register and we make it work.
Sam Inglis

Post by Terrible.dee »

Sam Inglis wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:20 pm
Terrible.dee wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:46 am No, it's not that it won't "Fit in the mix"

I'm not convinced you have read the OP properly... the poster is trying to mix a friend's track. It's not "his" guitar.

Without having heard it, it's hard to say for sure whether it's an arrangement problem or a mix problem or both. But it seems dogmatic to insist that an arrangement which happens to have more than one instrument playing in the same register is necessarily bad. Rock bands typically have bass guitar, kick drum, floor tom and more all competing in that same register and we make it work.

It's ALWAYS an arrangement problem!

All this "Cut this frequency in the kick and boost it in the bass." Garbage mixing advice has has done nothing but confuse people.

You have to RECORD WHAT YOU WANT TO HEAR!

You have to HAVE ALL ELEMENTS WORKING TOGETHER AS A WHOLE!

You do that by ARRANGING your song properly. (Assuming the song is half decent, if it's not, nothing can help you.)

The low end of a guitar the top end of a skin flute....doesn't matter, how is it contributing to the WHOLE!

Mixing should be easy, because the real work should have been done before anything was recorded.
Terrible.dee
Regular

Post by RichardT »

Oh dear, we have a troll…….
RichardT
Frequent Poster
Posts: 4188 Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2004 12:00 am Location: Ireland

Indeed we do, and a shouty one at that.
Drew Stephenson
Forum Aficionado

Post by Eddy Deegan »

Your concerns are noted folks.

Words have been had and the hope is that they are well received.
Eddy Deegan
Posts: 8845 Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:00 am Location: Brighton & Hove, UK
Some of my works | The SOS Forum Album projects  

Thanks Mods. :thumbup:
Drew Stephenson
Forum Aficionado

Post by Vlaaing Peerd »

Thanks for all the suggestions and feedback everyone.

To the question why it was working live...not entirely sure. I think you are more forgiving when listening to a non-repeatable live song and I suspect the PA has something to do with it. Also live the guitar drowns a little in the mix and is turned up quite a bit when the solo starts, something I needed to suppress a little in the mix so levels are closer to each other.

Harmonically speaking neither the keyboard or the bass is playing the same notes as the guitar, so I wasn't to keen on changing the arrangement, especially because it's not mine. I just needed to get the bits recorded and mixed.

Of course the arrangement is what makes the song, but that sound added so much to the atmosphere it was also not something we wanted to change.

Eventually what we did was:
- the guitar could handle a bit more mids, which made it generally more audible so overall volume could go down.
- adding a tiny amount of drive and reducing the extra high end, which made the guitar tone a little more consistent in timbres
- the keyboard player re-recorded his track, occasionally playing single octaves instead of doubles and turning around a few chords.
- the tiddly bit editing, scooping out a bit of low where the guitar isn't important and putting it back when it was.
- sidechain compression to duck the keyboards a tiny bit when guitar was playing.

Each of above was done without real noticeable change, but added up it made the space for the bass in the guitar.

Definitely pleased with the improvement, but still a bit unsatisfied. I think it should have been possible without changing the keyboards. That said, I'll put this track aside till I'm done with the others. I need to not listen to it for a while.

It's strange that I initially thought the guitar could just be recorded as is and slap it in the mix, but eventually has cost me quite some time to get it (closer to) right.
Vlaaing Peerd
Poster
Posts: 59 Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:00 am Location: Groningen, Netherworld
who is Kees and why is he so special?

Post by MOF »

Thanks for the feedback, when you revisit it later it might sound just right.
MOF
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2264 Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2003 12:00 am Location: United Kingdom