Yet another sampling frequency question

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Yet another sampling frequency question

Post by The Red Bladder »

I get where you're coming from, but this is something of a misleading exaggeration. There is a very large number of 'studio mics' that have a response which extends well beyond 20kHz.

They pretty much all do because if there is a cap, it'll be just passive - so still stuff going on at 30+ though usually rather uneven F response. (I like misleading exaggerations - it's one of my specialities!)
The Red Bladder
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 3298 Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:00 am Location: . . .

Post by James Perrett »

It is interesting that there is often plenty going on above 20kHz on many of the tapes that I transfer - especially with some DI'd analogue synth sounds.
James Perrett
Posts: 14250 Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Post by RichardT »

James Perrett wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:19 pm It is interesting that there is often plenty going on above 20kHz on many of the tapes that I transfer - especially with some DI'd analogue synth sounds.

The same is true of software synths- sometimes huge amounts > 20kHz
RichardT
Jedi Poster
Posts: 4076 Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2004 12:00 am Location: Ireland

Post by Stig Ø »

Thank you all for your replies - I really appreciate it. I think I’ll keep going at 44.1, but as several of you have mentioned, it’s a fairly simple thing to test at different rates. I was basically after the theoretical reasons for changing or not, and you’ve all contributed to the discussion in that sense. Maybe 48 could be a happy medium, who knows? I’m running Logic on a 2015 iMac with an i5 cpu and 16GB of RAM. It keeps up nicely with my projects, which apart from Superior Drummer are all audio files. Nothing fancy in the processing department - just reverb, compression, eq - standard stuff. I think it would be able to cope with 96, but, as mentioned, maybe 48 is good enough (whatever that means for a hobbyist).

Are there any special advantages with recording at 88.2, as it’s a straight doubling of 44.1, or will the points mentioned already apply to that f/s as well?

Again, thanks for taking the time.

Cheers, Stig
Stig Ø
Regular
I make guitar noises

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

Stig Ø wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:40 pmAre there any special advantages with recording at 88.2, as it’s a straight doubling of 44.1, or will the points mentioned already apply to that f/s as well?

The points re 96k apply.

The 88.2 sample rate isn't really used by anyone as it offers no advantages. A couple of decades ago when sample rate converters weren't great it was easier to work at 88.2 and then use a 'synchronous' converter to create a 44.1 file for CD mastering.

But these days there are no synchronous converters. They are all 'Asynchronous' which means the actual sample rate doesn't matter... and 96kHz has become the defacto standard for double-rate work.
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 38836 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by Stig Ø »

Good to know - thanks again.
Stig Ø
Regular
I make guitar noises