How to mix multiple vocals from featured artists?

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Moderator: Moderators

How to mix multiple vocals from featured artists?

Post by Needox »

Like my project looks so chaotic with 3 artists on 1 song, i need help on whats the best way to mix vocals from featured artists. Do i make 3 mix busses? Do i only do 1 mixbuss and route them all 3 to the mix bus and just eq them separately or are there better solutions? And also if you use effects, do you automate them or do you make new tracks with the efx in it like a send? If there is a blog or a video serie or whatever to help me that would be great, because i cant find it, a tutorial on how to mix multiple artists on 1 song.
Needox

Re: How to mix multiple vocals from featured artists?

Post by MOF »

I’m struggling to make sense of your question.
You have each singer on their own track, routed to the main stereo output bus.
Each singer has compression/eq inserts and aux sends for reverb/delays, although these could be insert effects too.
You can automate anything and everything in DAWs these days, use it to vary everything from vocal levels, aux sends, effects returns and stereo output fades etc.
MOF
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2264 Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2003 12:00 am Location: United Kingdom

Post by The Elf »

I'm similarly puzzled. A vocal is a vocal, and mixing it (with whatever tools/insert FX/send FX/automation et al are required) to sound right with a mix is what we do. All that seems to be needed is to do this separately for each vocal. Or are there sections where all three need to be heard simultaneously?

I see no reason to go setting up separate 'mix busses' for such a basic task. Or are you referring to a 'sub-group'?
The Elf
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 20053 Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Post by BWC »

Had me scratching my head a bit too. It seems to me that you're looking for a shortcut to the buzz words, as people often do, and putting the cart before the horse. There isn't one answer to your questions of how to set up your routing and effects, it depends on what you're trying to accomplish, what problems you're trying to solve.

Mixing is, largely, a problem solving exercise. Listen, critically, to what you've got. What's wrong with it? What could be better about it? Address each answer until you reach a certain (hard to define) point on the diminishing returns scale, and call it done. Once you've mixed a particular type of thing many times, you'll know in advance some of the setups you'll likely need. At that point, in can be efficient to set those things up at the start of a mix, or even load them from templates. But the first time you work on a new type of project, I'd suggest starting as simple as possible, and only adding complexity as needed.

The difficulty in finding a tutorial is because, again, there's not one right way. None of us has heard what you've got, so we can't provide any answers as to what to do with it without more detail of a specific problem you wish to solve.
BWC
Frequent Poster
Posts: 512 Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:12 am Location: FL, US
BWC

Post by Drew Stephenson »

Needox wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:48 am Like my project looks so chaotic with 3 artists on 1 song, i need help on whats the best way to mix vocals from featured artists. Do i make 3 mix busses? Do i only do 1 mixbuss and route them all 3 to the mix bus and just eq them separately or are there better solutions? And also if you use effects, do you automate them or do you make new tracks with the efx in it like a send? If there is a blog or a video serie or whatever to help me that would be great, because i cant find it, a tutorial on how to mix multiple artists on 1 song.

If you've got multiple tracks for each artist (verses, choruses, ad libs etc) then I would definitely bus them together so that each artist has a bus. If all three artists are featured then i wouldn't then bus them together, just accept that you'll need to do some additional work to make each section shine.
Applying FX is almost entirely context dependent, but with a rule of thumb that if you're using the same effect for multiple sources it's more efficient to use it via a send than via an insert. This is especially true of reverbs, which can be very processor-hungry.
It can seem a bit faffy but there is real value in making sure you have a tidy and organised project; if yours looks chaotic then spend a bit of time in making sure you can quickly and easily see what's happening where and when.
Drew Stephenson
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 24645 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/