Dynamic eq to enhance reverb tails?

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Moderator: Moderators

Dynamic eq to enhance reverb tails?

Post by TomChimera »

Hi all,

I have just seen your wonderful video Using Dynamic EQ by Eddie Bazil.
I would love to see more videos by him!! :clap:

At 10:50 he said:
"highlight the air band and high frequency tails of the reverbs and this is achieved with a bell that has a fast attack and release expansion setting the overall response is smooth more open and has a lovely top-end sparkle that doesn't translate across as bright"

https://youtu.be/CoqD3hsGq1A?t=650

I would like to understand this better please, I'm a bit confused as to how it works..

Is it similar to the trick where a reverb channel is compressed using side chain, so the transients plays more dry and after they gone the reverb comes back, but this time the opposite using expansion?
He is talking about a whole mix but i'm imagining using it more on a reverb channels within a mix...

Can you expand on his technique?

Thank you!
TomChimera
Poster

Re: Dynamic eq to enhance reverb tails?

Post by Martin Walker »

TomChimera wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:46 pm Hi all,

I have just seen your wonderful video Using Dynamic EQ by Eddie Bazil.
I would love to see more videos by him!! :clap:

Look no further than Eddie's own web site where you'll find LOADS of his valuable tutorials, and you can even get Eddie to give you personal 1-2-1 tuition 8-)

https://samplecraze.com/

As for expanding on this particular technique, Eddie will no doubt be along shortly to reply personally :thumbup:

Martin
Martin Walker
Posts: 20634 Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:44 am Location: Cornwall, UK

Post by Zukan »

Hi Tom

I'm glad the podcast was of use to you.

I tend to use compression and expansion at the same time to highlight the air band. It works better than static cuts or boosts. In fact, I use this approach to accent specific frequencies without having to resort to large boosts using a static equaliser. Think of this process as similar to how the Pultec eq works, scoop before and after the selected frequency and only boost the specified frequency.

If I haven't explained myself proerly, and that can happen as I'm a bit dim, please feel free to call me and I will run you through the process...
Zukan
'Shaka. When the walls fell. Zukan...with his arms wide.'

Samplecraze
1-2-1 Tuition

Post by TomChimera »

Hello Eddie and Martin, Thanks for answering!

Lots of great information on the website, and I'm sure I'll call you in the near future as there are many things I wish to learn more and develop. :)

Thanks!
Tom
TomChimera
Poster