Extra long usb for audio interface?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Extra long usb for audio interface?

Post by wearashirt »

Has anyone any experience with using a 1.5 meter usb 3.0 male-female extension for relocating the audio interface farther away from the computer?

I use the interface for both inputs and outputs (hybrid audio mixing).

I just need to place the interface closer to the rack gear, for direct patching into compressors before hitting the mixing console. Problem is, my computer and rack are on opposite sides of myself, hence the need for a 1.5m usb extender.

Any insight on these digital cables would be a great help.
wearashirt
Regular
Posts: 122 Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:18 am Location: Manila, Philippines

Re: Extra long usb for audio interface?

Post by Martin Walker »

In most cases, the maximum cable length for a reliable USB connection is 5 metres, so as long as your extension plus the original cable don't add up to more than this you should be fine.

Martin
Martin Walker
Posts: 20599 Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:44 am Location: Cornwall, UK

Post by ef37a »

My NI KA6 has a suggested maximum cable length of 3mtr and is indeed supplied with a good quality cable of that length. I did however have need to run at the maximum 5mtr as per Mr W. I bought two different cables and found one was solid and the other 'flaky'.

Instead of an extension with its slight but unavoidable 'kink' in the transmission, I suggest a single cable of correct length and of the best quality you can find.

There are 'active' USB extensions. I have not tried them and know of no one that has for an AI which are fussy things, e.g. most do not like hubs.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster
Posts: 16448 Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 12:00 am Location: northampton uk

Post by James Perrett »

Lindy always used to be a source of good quality cables - they have a shop on Ebay or you can order direct. I've used 5m USB2 cables for quite a while now for DVD writers, USB sticks, keyboards and mice with no problems but haven't used ones that long for an audio interface yet.
James Perrett
Posts: 14250 Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Post by Mixedup »

Martin Walker wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:10 pm In most cases, the maximum cable length for a reliable USB connection is 5 metres, so as long as your extension plus the original cable don't add up to more than this you should be fine.

^ this. If you need to go further there are optical USB cables available, eg by Corning, but they don't come cheap.
Mixedup
Jedi Poster
Posts: 4548 Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 12:00 am Location: Cambridgeshire, UK

Post by Eddy Deegan »

I've used 5m cables regularly for a variety of purposes with no issues. Given the low cost, to be doubly safe I'd recommend using a longer USB cable rather than combining a shorter one with an extension though.

1.5m should be no problem at all.
Eddy Deegan
Posts: 8736 Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:00 am Location: Brighton & Hove, UK
Some of my works | The SOS Forum Album projects  

Post by BWC »

My AXE I/O interface is currently connected with one of these: https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-USB ... 00NH13DV2/ 3m and working great. I would also agree that a single cable of the required length is a better idea than an extension.
BWC
Regular
Posts: 475 Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:12 am Location: FL, US
BWC

Post by BWC »

Just remembered (haven't used it in a while), I also have a Peavey Vypyr VIP-1 hooked up to the PC with a 5m USB cable, and never had any problems with it.
BWC
Regular
Posts: 475 Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:12 am Location: FL, US
BWC

Post by ef37a »

Mixedup wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:01 pm
Martin Walker wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:10 pm In most cases, the maximum cable length for a reliable USB connection is 5 metres, so as long as your extension plus the original cable don't add up to more than this you should be fine.

^ this. If you need to go further there are optical USB cables available, eg by Corning, but they don't come cheap.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Network-Adapte ... B074CDL78M

Claimed ^ to be USB 3 over CAT5e but seems a bit cheap to me? There are innumerable such products for USB 2.0.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Post by Eddy Deegan »

ef37a wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:10 amhttps://www.amazon.co.uk/Network-Adapte ... B074CDL78M

Claimed ^ to be USB 3 over CAT5e but seems a bit cheap to me? There are innumerable such products for USB 2.0.

This isn't USB over CAT5e, just a network interface that connects to the host using USB. It's effectively a dongle that turns a USB port into an RJ45 Ethernet interface.
Eddy Deegan
Posts: 8736 Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:00 am Location: Brighton & Hove, UK
Some of my works | The SOS Forum Album projects  

Post by ef37a »

Eddy Deegan wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:38 am
ef37a wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:10 amhttps://www.amazon.co.uk/Network-Adapte ... B074CDL78M

This isn't USB over CAT5e, just a network interface that connects to the host using USB. It's effectively a dongle that turns a USB port into an RJ45 Ethernet interface.

Ah so! I was trawling through page after page and pounced when I saw "USB3.0"

"Always read the small print"

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Post by wearashirt »

Thanks everyone. Advice I've taken from your answers is:

1. Use one single USB cable instead of an extension - excellent suggestion.

2. I've also bumped up the length to 3.0m, just shy of the 5-m length everyone seems to agree on. Hopefully this is a way of not buying twice later on. (Like, when I finally spring to get that 32 input console!)

Turns out I can only make do with USB 2.0 of such a USB-A to Printer-USB cable that we use for most of our interfacaes. USB 3.0 of the same type of interconnect apparently is a different shape.
wearashirt
Regular
Posts: 122 Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:18 am Location: Manila, Philippines