Tweaking Solo Piano ???

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Moderator: Moderators

Tweaking Solo Piano ???

Post by DigitalMusicProduction »

Hi

With solo piano is there an assumed certain frequency range that classical recordings can be tweaked to enhance for more body and clarity. This is not in correlation with previous posts concerning EQ presents which has already been answered, but rather about finely tweaking an area in the EQ spectrum that would make the piano sound better. Is there a common area for this? Maybe low mids for example.
DigitalMusicProduction
Regular

Music is a universal language that speaks to every person, a euphoria of moods that inspires, convicts and heals 

Re: Tweaking Solo Piano ???

Post by Eddy Deegan »

There isn't a simple answer to this. Different pianos have different tones, different piano libraries are sampled using different equipment in different environments and different piano pieces and styles may sound better with different processing than others.

You said this wasn't a question related to the previous questions but despite my (deliberately) repeated use of the word 'different' in the previous paragraph the answer will be much the same as those you've had before. Find a reference recording in a similar style and/or sound to that which you'd like to be comparable to and adjust your particular recording using that as a guide.

Even then, the best result is the one that sounds best and that cannot be distilled down to something as crude as a frequency range to EQ.

A few times in answer to your questions people have asked for some sample material but as far as I know you've not shared any yet. If you cannot share any then I fear that there is little more we can add to what we've already said.

If you share some sample recordings you'll get a lot more useful input!
Eddy Deegan
Posts: 8736 Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:00 am Location: Brighton & Hove, UK
Some of my works | The SOS Forum Album projects  

Post by RichardT »

DigitalMusicProduction wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:28 pm Hi

With solo piano is there an assumed certain frequency range that classical recordings can be tweaked to enhance for more body and clarity. This is not in correlation with previous posts concerning EQ presents which has already been answered, but rather about finely tweaking an area in the EQ spectrum that would make the piano sound better. Is there a common area for this? Maybe low mids for example.

No, you often ask for advice on things for which advice can’t be given! You have to trust your own judgment on this and do what sounds right to you. There are no general rules, you have to judge each piece individually to see what processing, if any, it needs.
RichardT
Jedi Poster
Posts: 4074 Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2004 12:00 am Location: Ireland

Post by James Perrett »

As others have said, we really can't help you if you won't let us hear an example. A 30 second excerpt would probably be a start if you are worried about giving too much away.
James Perrett
Posts: 14250 Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Post by Martin Walker »

And on both Soundcloud and YouTube you can make recordings 'private' so that the general public won't see or hear them - just give us the private link here.

Martin
Martin Walker
Posts: 20599 Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:44 am Location: Cornwall, UK

Martin Walker wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:25 pmAnd on both Soundcloud and YouTube you can make recordings 'private' so that the general public won't see or hear them - just give us the private link here.

Martin

Indeed, will be uploading the excerpt's and reference track with the link shortly.
what file type is preferred, mp3 or wav.
DigitalMusicProduction
Regular

Music is a universal language that speaks to every person, a euphoria of moods that inspires, convicts and heals 

Post by RichardT »

Wav would be better!
RichardT
Jedi Poster
Posts: 4074 Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2004 12:00 am Location: Ireland

Sorry for the delay, still working on the tracks, excerpts coming shortly.
DigitalMusicProduction
Regular

Whilst on the topic of EQ I'm now experimenting with Logics Channel EQ plugin, NOT the presets but the band 6 parametric filter, I'm finding sweeping around this area at 2620Hz +4.2dB is providing a bit more clarity for the piano tracks. Am I therefore good to make subtle adjustments in this area in post production without effecting the overall EQ band.

I know this stuff, "physics" is not easy to teach in a forum post, but just one year in to music production.
DigitalMusicProduction
Regular

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

EQ is entirely objective. If it sounds better to you, go with it.
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 38834 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Hugh Robjohns wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:36 amEQ is entirely objective. If it sounds better to you, go with it.

It most certainly does, applying that small tweak has provided more clarity in the upper register of the piano enabling it to breath more. Originally i think the causation of this was at the recording stage when trying to input a finely balanced and controlled recording so as to compensate for any harsh velocitys and overall to control the dynamics, somthing I'm now learning about..
DigitalMusicProduction
Regular

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

There's a lot to be said for finding a nice piano in a nice room, and just recording it well.... You'd be on your tenth album by now.... :lol:
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 38834 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual...