Which SM58 to get?

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Which SM58 to get?

Post by Music Wolf »

Hugh Robjohns wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:29 pm There are obviously some valid applications when a switched mic is helpful or even essential -- such as when there is no one available to control/mix the mic signal.

However, for general stage use a switched mic tends to be a liability as its too easily knocked off accidentally by the user.

I've overcome this by having a non-switched mic but by using a mic mute footswitch from our friend at Orchid Electronics which I now accidentally leave muted from time to time, despite the big red LED to warn me. :oops:
Music Wolf
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2753 Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:00 am Location: Exiled to St Helens

Post by The Elf »

I've spent a happy few minutes solder-bypassing the switch on a microphone that I'd been gifted as it was 'broken'. As if by magic, one perfectly working mic.

In addition to the above those switches can also cause a horrendous thump to a PA.

My preferred alternative to the SM58 is the AKG D5 - like an SM, but somehow more 'hi-fi'.

I open/close our stage mic's from my performance software. It opens the mic between songs and mutes it as the click/backing starts up. All it takes is a simple MIDI command to the XR18.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
Posts: 19938 Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Post by ef37a »

Music Wolf wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:50 pm
Hugh Robjohns wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:29 pm There are obviously some valid applications when a switched mic is helpful or even essential -- such as when there is no one available to control/mix the mic signal.

However, for general stage use a switched mic tends to be a liability as its too easily knocked off accidentally by the user.

I've overcome this by having a non-switched mic but by using a mic mute footswitch from our friend at Orchid Electronics which I now accidentally leave muted from time to time, despite the big red LED to warn me. :oops:

What you need is a Push To Talk switch. The other problem with switched mics is when the singer switches it off and someone cranks the amp gain then you are deafened by feedback when singist finds the switch.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster
Posts: 16448 Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 12:00 am Location: northampton uk

Post by shufflebeat »

ef37a wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:10 pm If you have ever done AGM sound reinforcement you generally have to keep out of the way and you can bet your wedding tackle one of the assembled worthies will fiddle and switch off their mic!

Dave.

Very wise. However the OP is talking about a very different situation which won't involve nervous best men or fathers of brides and wedding tackle only in a limited and specific sense.

ef37a wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:12 pm
Ah, had that been a '58 it would likely have survived. Bent but working.

Dave.

I suspect you may be right. It would never have sounded like the Beyer though, although to be fair, after the event neither did the Beyer.
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster
Posts: 9091 Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:00 am Location: Manchester, UK
“…I can tell you I don't have money, but what I do have are a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long career” - (folk musician, Manchester).

Post by Dave Rowles »

I'd buy an sE Electronics V7 instead. My current favourite. Clearer sound, much better feedback rejection, and higher output.

But it does take a little bit of cajoling to get some artists to try it, so a 58 is more rider friendly.
Dave Rowles
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1452 Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:00 am Location: Isle of Man
http://www.manninmusic.com Teacher - Isle of Man
http://www.manninmusic.shop Music Shop - Isle of Man
https://www.facebook.com/mannin.sound - PA Hire/Sound Engineer - Isle of Man

Post by djangodeadman »

Mike Monte wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:47 pm (Most singers worth their weight in salt will bring their own personal mic.)

And yet, even in these pandemic times, it’s surprising how many don’t.
djangodeadman
Regular
Posts: 354 Joined: Tue Feb 18, 2003 12:00 am Location: Brighton

Post by MOF »

(Most singers worth their weight in salt will bring their own personal mic.)

They don’t want to have to do any lifting and carrying. :lol:
Reminds me of the joke ‘why do sound engineers say one, two, one, two, during sound checks?’ Answer: because if they count to three they’ll have to lift something.
MOF
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2259 Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2003 12:00 am Location: United Kingdom

Post by djangodeadman »

MOF wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:03 pm
(Most singers worth their weight in salt will bring their own personal mic.)

They don’t want to have to do any lifting and carrying. :lol:
Reminds me of the joke ‘why do sound engineers say one, two, one, two, during sound checks?’ Answer: because if they count to three they’ll have to lift something.

It’s always me (the engineer) and the drummer on the stage at the end of the night clearing up. The singers and guitarists are off doing rockstar things. Who knows where the bass player is? 😀
djangodeadman
Regular
Posts: 354 Joined: Tue Feb 18, 2003 12:00 am Location: Brighton

Post by Drew Stephenson »

djangodeadman wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:10 pmWho knows where the bass player is? 😀

Packed up and halfway down the motorway!
Drew Stephenson
Jedi Poster
Posts: 24450 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by Dave Rowles »

djangodeadman wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:08 am
Mike Monte wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:47 pm (Most singers worth their weight in salt will bring their own personal mic.)

There was a massive thread about this very subject on a Facebook group about sanitising mics inbetween acts. I’ve invested in a load more vocal mics so there doesn’t have to be any sharing.
Dave Rowles
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1452 Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:00 am Location: Isle of Man
http://www.manninmusic.com Teacher - Isle of Man
http://www.manninmusic.shop Music Shop - Isle of Man
https://www.facebook.com/mannin.sound - PA Hire/Sound Engineer - Isle of Man

Post by ef37a »

Most people just don't help, they assume 'someone' will sort it all out.

I am reminded of a monthly competition we ran at our outdooor air rifle club. The idea was a group of members set up the field the evening before and then we rocked up on Sunday morning to shoot it. One evening the club captain turned up and NOBODY ELSE! He said **** it and went home and then phoned around to spread the word that there would be no competition next day.

Sunday morn came an all **** was breaking out and the loudest moaners were those that did least! Cap'n said "there was no ****er but me and I am NOT setting out 20 'king targets on my own!"

Some intense scrabbling around did get a shoot going and henceforth we got a little bit of a better turnout on 'work days!'

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster
Posts: 16448 Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 12:00 am Location: northampton uk

Post by Mike Monte »

Dave Rowles wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:13 pm
djangodeadman wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:08 am

There was a massive thread about this very subject on a Facebook group about sanitising mics inbetween acts. I’ve invested in a load more vocal mics so there doesn’t have to be any sharing.

When the pandemic settled-in around here I purchased a dozen foam windscreens. I asked the nurse (at a local school) what I should use to clean them. She advised me to use very warm water and anti-bacterial soap, rinse well, and air dry.
I carry my windscreens in fold-to-close plastic sandwich bags (one foam per bag) and when providing sound I let users pick-their-own. When done, I clean them (as per above).
No issues thus far...
Mike Monte
Regular