Mastering from tape to digital rig question

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Moderator: Moderators

Mastering from tape to digital rig question

Post by hannahjazzz »

I’m trying to hook up a revox A77 1/4 inch and get it into my pro tools via an Avalon 96k interface.

I’m wondering what leads I need with minimal interference? Stupid question I know. The Avalon only takes XLR input I think. Ordered it but it hasn’t come yet so
Need to confirm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hannahjazzz
Poster

Re: Mastering from tape to digital rig question

Post by James Perrett »

I'm a little confused - I can't see any audio interfaces in Avalon's product range. Or is there a different Avalon company that Google doesn't know about?

It would help if you could give us the make and model number of all the devices that you are using in your signal path.
James Perrett
Posts: 14347 Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

I'm not aware of any DAW audio interface made by Avalon, so can't offer any advice on its connectivity. Can you share a link to the specific product, please?

And what are the available output connectors on your specific model of Revox A77. I've seen some with RCA-phono (cinch) and/or DIN connectors, and others with XLRs.
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 38954 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by ef37a »

Having refreshed the old brain, the A77 has both RCA phono and DIN ('radio') outputs but the DIN is via a 4k7 resistor and attenuated by at least 6dB. The RCA output looks to be low source resistance at ~400 Ohms.

I would therefore suggest a simple RCA to 1/4" TS (guitar) jack cable as it would be a strange interface that did not have jacks?

But yes, give us the full SP!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster
Posts: 16516 Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 12:00 am Location: northampton uk

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

ef37a wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:36 pmHaving refreshed the old brain, the A77 has both RCA phono and DIN ('radio') outputs but the DIN is via a 4k7 resistor and attenuated by at least 6dB.

The 'radio' connection conformed to the old DIN hi-fi standard which evolved with valve equipment and passed the signal as a current, rather than a voltage.

The equivalent input voltage when connected to modern voltage-fed equipment is entirely dependent on the device's input impedance, at a nominal 1mV/ 1k Ohms.

So 100k Ohms input impedance gives 100mV signal level.
Hugh Robjohns
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)

Post by ef37a »

Hugh Robjohns wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:50 pm
ef37a wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:36 pmHaving refreshed the old brain, the A77 has both RCA phono and DIN ('radio') outputs but the DIN is via a 4k7 resistor and attenuated by at least 6dB.

The 'radio' connection conformed to the old DIN hi-fi standard which evolved with valve equipment and passed the signal as a current, rather than a voltage.

The equivalent input voltage when connected to modern voltage-fed equipment is entirely dependent on the device's input impedance, at a nominal 1mV/ 1k Ohms.

So 100k Ohms input impedance gives 100mV signal level.

Yes Hugh, a lot of people slagged off the DIN connection standard but they did not understand it and it was entirely appropriate for valve based equipment in 'domestic' circumstances. 'Pros' of course could afford cathode follower stages and transformers!

I was in fact expecting a much higher resistance than 4k7? I guess because of the transistors they, like so many others went 'half way'.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster
Posts: 16516 Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 12:00 am Location: northampton uk

Post by Tim Gillett »

The A77 was Revox's first transistor model (all silicon) and an excellent machine. I've never seen one with XLRs though. Output level is adjustable at the front panel.
Tim Gillett
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2632 Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:00 am Location: Perth, Western Australia

Post by James Perrett »

Revox themselves didn't make any with XLR's (as far as I know) but various third parties modified them to add balanced inputs and outputs on XLR's.
James Perrett

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

Tim Gillett wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:27 am I've never seen one with XLRs though.

The A77 tape machine was intended as a domestic/consumer hi-fi product and came with RCA-phono and DIN connections as standard. But the machine became a popular low-cost alternative to professional studio recorders and many were 'studio-ised' which included retrofitting XLRs -- at least in the UK and Europe.
Hugh Robjohns

Post by Tim Gillett »

Hugh Robjohns wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:44 am
Tim Gillett wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:27 am I've never seen one with XLRs though.

The A77 tape machine was intended as a domestic/consumer hi-fi product and came with RCA-phono and DIN connections as standard. But the machine became a popular low-cost alternative to professional studio recorders and many were 'studio-ised' which included retrofitting XLRs -- at least in the UK and Europe.

Yes, not surprised as they were more compact and much lighter than the Studer equivalents. I believe their much greater portability and general audio quality made them popular for location live to stereo concert recordings on 10.5" reels. Onboard Dolby B was an option, making for potentially even better quality live recordings.
Tim Gillett
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2632 Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:00 am Location: Perth, Western Australia

Post by Nazard »

Yes, not surprised as they were more compact and much lighter than the Studer equivalents. I believe their much greater portability and general audio quality made them popular for location live to stereo concert recordings on 10.5" reels.

Alfred Brendel used an A77 to listen back to his practice.
Nazard
Frequent Poster

Post by hannahjazzz »

Trevor Johnson wrote:
Yes, not surprised as they were more compact and much lighter than the Studer equivalents. I believe their much greater portability and general audio quality made them popular for location live to stereo concert recordings on 10.5" reels.

Alfred Brendel used an A77 to listen back to his practice.

Thanks for your response. Would I be wasting my time using a revox with my 1/4 inch tapes to transfer them to digital? I

hannahjazzz
Poster

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

No. It's a perfectly good machine if in decent mechanical condition and when aligned correctly.
Hugh Robjohns

Post by hannahjazzz »

Hugh Robjohns wrote:No. It's a perfectly good machine if in decent mechanical condition and when aligned correctly.

Thank you

hannahjazzz
Poster

Post by Tim Gillett »

hannahjazzz wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:56 pm
Hugh Robjohns wrote:No. It's a perfectly good machine if in decent mechanical condition and when aligned correctly.

Thankyou.

I'd add that for top performance it needs to be in good condition in all departments related to playback of your particular tapes. The tapes themselves may need treatment even before winding or playing them. It really depends on how close to ideal you want your transfers to be. Most people seem to err by not optimising the tape playback side of things.
Last edited by Tim Gillett on Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tim Gillett
Frequent Poster

Post by hannahjazzz »

So the revox is in perfect working order. And I have tested all the tapes.

I recorded the mixes onto the 1/4 through a studer b67 from a studer a80. Everything was calibrated and I did check all of the tapes/ cleaned them in between mixes etc.

I was going to go from the revox as a sound source to the digi 003 directly into pro tools. Or I was going to go from the revox through an Avalon mic pre amp to the digi into pro tools. But I just am unsure if it’ll be high quality enough.
hannahjazzz
Poster

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

hannahjazzz wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:41 pm...I just am unsure if it’ll be high quality enough.

That's something only you can decide, because only you can hear it.

However...

I recorded the mixes onto the 1/4 through a studer b67 from a studer a80.

I'm not really sure what's going on here. It sounds like you're saying you played back a tape on a Studer A80 and re-recorded it (mixed with something else?) on a B67. And now you're going to play that new recorded mix tape back on a Revox A77.

So you've already gone down one analogue tape generation (and that's assuming the source tape was first generation and not a dub-tape itself), and there's quite a lot of scope there for head azimuths and other alignments to be non-perfect... I doubt the digital recording chain is likely to make matters any worse from a sound quality point of view.

I was going to go from the revox as a sound source to the digi 003 directly into pro tools. Or I was going to go from the revox through an Avalon mic pre amp to the digi into pro tools.

Ah... that clears up the confusion about the Avalon interface you mentioned previously. It's a Digi003 interface, to which you've connected the Avalon mic pre.

Personally, I'd connect the Revox straight into the line (or DI inputs) inputs of the Digi003, but if you want some extra 'character' then you could run it through the mic pre. In both cases I'd suggest using a pair of RCA-phono to mono (TS) unbalanced jack cables. (Connect the RCA-phono end to the A77s outputs, with the jacks going into the interface or preamp DI/instrument inputs).
Hugh Robjohns

Post by James Perrett »

The signal chain would make sense if the A80 was a multitrack machine. Then mixed down to a B67.

If the A77 is a standard high speed version then it should work fine with a pair of unbalanced phono to TS jack cables. This will give you the most accurate version of the sound on tape. Adding the Avalon may change the sound, and you may prefer that sound so it would be worth a try, but it won't be as accurate as a direct link.
James Perrett

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

James Perrett wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:58 pm The signal chain would make sense if the A80 was a multitrack machine. Then mixed down to a B67.

Ah yes, of course. Should have realised that! Thanks James.

H
Hugh Robjohns

Post by hannahjazzz »

James Perrett wrote:The signal chain would make sense if the A80 was a multitrack machine. Then mixed down to a B67.

If the A77 is a standard high speed version then it should work fine with a pair of unbalanced phono to TS jack cables. This will give you the most accurate version of the sound on tape. Adding the Avalon may change the sound, and you may prefer that sound so it would be worth a try, but it won't be as accurate as a direct link.

Yea you’re correct. A80 24 track mixed through never to b67. I’m taking the reels on a revox and putting them through digi or Avalon then digi to pt to prepare for mastering. Should I give myself -7db on the Rev input or Rev output? Never done it before as I’m a musician and not well versed in mastering. Only mastered on to finalizer before. Don’t Judge me haha

hannahjazzz
Poster