Which iPad for SOS

For all other computers and operating systems, including Atari, Linux and mobile apps.

Moderator: Moderators

Which iPad for SOS

Post by BJG145 »

The last iPad I bought, of the mini variety, was something I purchased to read SOS. Unfortunately I dropped it and broke the screen so I'll need to get something else. Can anyone suggest a budget but decent model in the mini and standard sizes to look out for on eBay that will let me read the latest issue? (I can't remember all the info about what model runs what version of iOS, or what the SOS app requires.)
BJG145
Jedi Poster

Re: Which iPad for SOS

Post by shufflebeat »

Not tempted just to get the screen fixed?

My last iPad purchase was the 2019 model which was the cheapest available. It does all the necessaries and, importantly, lives in a robust case with a handle on the back.
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster
Posts: 9091 Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:00 am Location: Manchester, UK
“…I can tell you I don't have money, but what I do have are a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long career” - (folk musician, Manchester).

Post by zenguitar »

If it helps, I use a 2017 iPad Pro 10.5" to read SOS through the app with no problems.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
Posts: 12507 Joined: Thu Dec 05, 2002 12:00 am Location: Devon
Is it about a bicycle?

Post by Forum Admin »

The SOS App always works with the latest iOS but like many platforms, our app developers tend to drop older tablet model support in the mistaken belief that everyone has the latest kit.

It's annoying for SOS as we have no control over such decisions -- for your info, the app platform is hosted by a company who develop the core app for thousands of publishers/companies who use it. We are only able to customise the content layout etc but not the functionality/compatibility.

If you have an SOS-bought Digital sub then you get access to Android tablets too, any mix of up to 5 simultaneously-installed apps/devices, so perhaps a low-cost new Android tablet might be your better option? (As a committed Apple fanboy, I can't belief I wrote that!)

In the App Store it has this info:

Compatibility
iPhone
Requires iOS 12.4 or later.
iPad
Requires iPadOS 12.4 or later.

We don't have an iPad model list, but if it can install 12.4 or newer OS, you should be golden.
Forum Admin
Posts: 4233 Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2003 11:00 pm Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
Search 16,966 SOS Reviews+Techniques articles: www.soundonsound.com/search
SOS Podcasts

Post by BJG145 »

...thanks all, very helpful. :thumbup:
BJG145
Jedi Poster