Sound dome

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Moderator: Moderators

Sound dome

Post by rusm »

hello gentlemen, I'm new to the forum and I hope not to have the wrong section. I registered on this American forum (I am Italian), because I want to have information about a product of brown innovation, the "Sound dome". I would like to know if this product used ultrasound or normal sounds to be able to pass through walls? And then I would like to know if it was possible to increase the sound volume to be able to hear from more than 10 meters away
rusm

Re: Sound dome

Post by zenguitar »

Welcome to the SOS forums. And we are a UK based site, not American.

Is this the product you are asking about?
https://www.browninnovations.com/sound- ... l-speakers

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
Posts: 12507 Joined: Thu Dec 05, 2002 12:00 am Location: Devon
Is it about a bicycle?

Post by rusm »

zenguitar wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:28 pm Welcome to the SOS forums. And we are a UK based site, not American.

ah ok our english brothers. Yes, the product is that
rusm

Post by baward »

zenguitar wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:28 pm Welcome to the SOS forums. And we are a UK based site, not American.

Isao Tomita would have loved this! :thumbup:
baward
Regular

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

I've moved the thread to the Live Sound sub-forum as that seems more appropriate to the topic.

Have you tried contacting the manufacturer for answers to your questions?

The (now expired) patent on Brown Innovations' Sound Dome concept is available here.

It doesn't mention the use of ultrasound at all.

I don't understand the reference to passing sound through walls...

As for increasing the volume to hear sound 10 metres away... the whole point of the design is to confine the generated sound to a relatively small area immediately below the dome.
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 38835 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by rusm »

Hugh Robjohns wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:42 pm I've moved the thread to the Live Sound sub-forum as that seems more appropriate to the topic.

Have you tried contacting the manufacturer for answers to your questions?

The (now expired) patent on Brown Innovations' Sound Dome concept is available here.

It doesn't mention the use of ultrasound at all.

I don't understand the reference to passing sound through walls...

As for increasing the volume to hear sound 10 metres away... the whole point of the design is to confine the generated sound to a relatively small area immediately below the dome.

because ultrasounds cannot pass through walls, because they are subject to refraction, while sounds in the audible field such as the voice can pass through walls. So if this speech has been approved, and instead as regards the volume of the sound, if I have the dome in a point A, can I hear the sound of the beam in a point B even less than 10 meters away? Apparently, viewing various videos, people can hear even a few meters (2-3 m) away from the dome. However regarding the choice to contact the producers, they do not even answer me through, however only this question of distance remains, what do you think?
rusm

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

Very disappointing that the manufacturer has not responded.

I can't help I'm afraid as I have no experience of the product.

I'm still not sure why you'd want to pass sound through a wall. Surely walls are erected to provide isolation?

The notes I've read on the site suggest the dome provides around 10dB improvement in the ratio of wanted to ambient sounds with a fairly well defined region of coverage. That would appear quite a useful benefit in their example applications. This kind of technology can never provide perfectly isolated sound zones though due to acoustic reflections from the floor and listeners.
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 38835 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual...