Help with Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 problem...please?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Help with Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 problem...please?

Post by Birdy5150 »

New to the forum and hoping that I can get some help with a problem.

I'm a home recording hobbyist, writing/recording my own instrumental. guitar centred "proggish" rock.

My DAW is Studio One Professional and my system is a HP Laptop with
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10510U CPU @ 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz
Installed RAM 16.0 GB (15.8 GB usable)
Device ID 2A1ADE7A-5F49-49F1-B986-4A266BE4CEDE
Product ID 00330-80000-00000-AA969
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

Windows 10 Pro

Interface is Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 gen 2 (USB).

For many months it was working seamlessly but lately (maybe the last 3-4 months) I have been having real big problems. When recording in Studio One, I have to have the device block size at the maximum 1024samples to enable playback without pops, stutters etc. Obviously this results in massive latency. I used to be able to record at around 192samples which provided reasonable latency of around 8-9ms.

This seems to have gotten even worse and I get the pops and stutters even when listening to Spotify or any other media. One weird thing I notice is that when it gets bad, and unusuable (unlistenable even on Spotify), if I pull out the USB cable out of the port and put it back in is seems to fix the problem temporarily.

I have removed and reinstalled with the latest drivers and that seemed to make it better but only for a while. Tried all the different USB ports on the laptop.

Any help/advice would be very much appreciated.
Birdy5150
New here

Re: Help with Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 problem...please?

Post by worshiptuned »

Did you optimize your Windows settings for audio?

I mean disabling turbo boost in BIOS and all the other stuff that you can easily find searching "optimize windows for audio".
Sometimes with a new automatic Windows-BIOS update, the settings can be changed resulting in a different behavior of your system.
Then double check all your Windows, BIOS settings.
worshiptuned
Regular

Post by Birdy5150 »

Thanks for the feedback, but unfortunately yes, done all that.
Birdy5150
New here

Post by Johnsy »

Using the latest driver?

Tried LatencyMon?

https://resplendence.com/latencymon

Edit: Sorry, just noticed you said you're running the latest driver.
Johnsy
Regular

Post by Birdy5150 »

Weird thing,

I've run latency mon many many many times and every time it shows red and says there is a problem with a driver that I cant remember (ATI?) and when I look it up it is a critical windows component and Im plum out of luck.

When you posted I ran latencymon again for for the first time ever, it came up all green and all good, but I was listening to Spotify at the time and it was popping and glitching badly.
Birdy5150
New here

Post by ef37a »

VERY old school I know but, have you disable Windows Sounds? These used to be said to break in and change settings but I don't know if that still applies. Have you disabled the internal 'sound card'?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster
Posts: 16448 Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 12:00 am Location: northampton uk

Post by Birdy5150 »

As embarrassing as this might be, I just disabled the onboard card and so far it seems to be behaving itself. Ive had this before though when I thought I had fixed it.

Fingers crossed that it was that simple.
Birdy5150
New here